Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally announced what happens to referral supercharging after 9/16/18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought my first Tesla when the earlier statement was in effect. Does this constitute a contract? Is Tesla obligated to give me free unlimited Supercharging for any new Model S or X I purchase because that was part of the deal when I bought my earlier car?

Good question... I believe you are covered under the original language only if you purchased a new Model X/S in 2017 :cool:

You could have gotten a brand new one, unless you need it to transfer to whoever buys it from you after you're done with it. Even our latest 2018 Tesla still has free supercharging, just not transferable like the older ones.
Can we go into detail on this? I was under the impression that free unlimited supercharging stays with the car. Now I am hearing that 2017+ models have free unlimited supercharging but is not transferable; so once there is a change of ownership, the free unlimited supercharging is removed.

Can we go into detail on this? I was under the impression that free unlimited supercharging stays with the car. Now I am hearing that 2017+ models have free unlimited supercharging but is not transferable; so once there is a change of ownership, the free unlimited supercharging is removed.
Prior to Januar 15, 2017, the car came with Unlimited Supercharging; just like it came with a steering wheel. The Unlimited Supercharging was a feature of the vehicle. As such, that feature was a part of the car and stayed with the car when you sold it.

After January 15, 2017, the cars no longer had that feature. Some people could acquire that service as a perk by using a referral code; just like some dealerships do with lifetime car washes. This is a perk to the new car purchaser. As such, it is not a part of the car, and does not stay with the car when it is sold. If I buy your Ford Fusion, the dealership will not honor your free car washes for me.

So I bought my first Tesla when the earlier statement was in effect. Does this constitute a contract? Is Tesla obligated to give me free unlimited Supercharging for any new Model S or X I purchase because that was part of the deal when I bought my earlier car?

Good question... I believe you are covered under the original language only if you purchased a new Model X/S in 2017 :cool:
I believe you mean "before" 2017. ;)

(reference: original language here -->#24)

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Tesla may be planning on reducing the prices for the Model S and X after free supercharging goes away. With the spin up of the Model 3 they are now getting better volume pricing for many materials used in all cars (sheet aluminum, fasteners, wiring, and some assembled parts). They have also made the S and X production more efficient (they are building more per month). Their profit margin on those cars has probably gone up. They could spur sales by lowering the base price, but charging for supercharging. It's probably a fairer pricing structure anyway. Those who don't use the superchargers are paying extra for their cars to pay for those who do use most of the supercharging.

That is correct. It only stays with the life of the vehicle/first owner. If you say sold your car, the free supercharging would not transfer over to the new owner.

does it stay with the owner/person? Say i have it now, and I buy a new Model S/X. Will I still have free supercharging on my new car?
At one time, there was wording on the website that said it would apply to any future Model S or Model X that was purchased. Shortly after that, they added a deadline to indicate all cars bought by xxx date. Now that line and the entire Supercharging section are currently missing from the website.

So the answer is probably "doubtful" but we don't know for certain.

Reactions: JohnnyG
does it stay with the owner/person? Say i have it now, and I buy a new Model S/X. Will I still have free supercharging on my new car?
You could use your own referral code on yourself. However...the free supercharging has been stopped now. So you would only get the $100 credit if you were to buy a new S/X now and beyond.
Another way to get free lifetime Supercharging would be to buy an older car that was originally ordered before January 15, 2017. Those cars have free lifetime Supercharging that will transfer to the new owner.

Reactions: Maximilien
Tesla may be planning on reducing the prices for the Model S and X after free supercharging goes away. With the spin up of the Model 3 they are now getting better volume pricing for many materials used in all cars (sheet aluminum, fasteners, wiring, and some assembled parts). They have also made the S and X production more efficient (they are building more per month). Their profit margin on those cars has probably gone up. They could spur sales by lowering the base price, but charging for supercharging. It's probably a fairer pricing structure anyway. Those who don't use the superchargers are paying extra for their cars to pay for those who do use most of the supercharging.

Won’t work that way because of moral hazard and adverse selection.

Those who pay for it will aim to exceed the cost of the option, clog up chargers and cost Tesla money.

Making the cost exhiberent raises the “value” of used Tesla’s which will hurt Tesla’s new sales.

Killing it and making charging pay per use makes the most sense objectively.

Another way to get free lifetime Supercharging would be to buy an older car that was originally ordered before January 15, 2017. Those cars have free lifetime Supercharging that will transfer to the new owner.

Yes, and the best cars for that would be AP 2.0 between Oct 2016 and 2016 Dec. Even though Jan.14th car would qualify, those are very rare breeds of 2017 manufactured cars. Those cars are also 2016 redesigned front fascia.
One easy to tell from exterior is the signal light on the side. If it is bulging out, then 2.0. If it is flat with logo picture shining, then 1.0.

Won’t work that way because of moral hazard and adverse selection.

Those who pay for it will aim to exceed the cost of the option, clog up chargers and cost Tesla money.

Making the cost exhiberent raises the “value” of used Tesla’s which will hurt Tesla’s new sales.

Killing it and making charging pay per use makes the most sense objectively.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't think Tesla is going to have free supercharging going forward in any fashion. By paying for it, I meant that they will have the same setup for all new S and X purchases as they have for the Model 3 (other than the P3D+). In any case, if they did offer free lifetime supercharging as an option, I doubt it would be much different from the way it is today. But I don't think they will have it at all on any new car.

They will have to do something to keep S and X sales from crashing. If they lower the price of the car, people will see that as making supercharging pay as you go instead of rolled into the price of the car, as it really is today. They had to bring back free supercharging after trying to eliminate it in 2017 because sales slumped with no other incentive to sell cars. The company is in a stronger place now and could afford to lower the price a bit. The cost for production of the S and X has dropped since 2017 and the company is in a much stronger financial position with the Model 3 program making money instead of costing money.

I'm going to be kind of off topic here, but I really don't mind paying for supercharging. I would rather pay the few dollars it costs me to charge and have a very robust supercharging network. Some of the first ModelS buyers put down $5,000.00 and had to sign an agreement that the money was not a deposit for a car but "research money" but they went ahead and did it anyway and because of them I was able to buy my first ModelS in 2013 and another in 2016 and then a M3 in July of this year. I'm not concerned about spending a few dollars when I supercharge, I consider any money spent at Tesla an investment.

EDIT: I found an image of the verbiage from Tesla's site in May 2017.
free_sc.png

This statement alone should allow account holders prior to May 2017 to be able to buy a Model S or X any time in the future with free supercharging. The fact that they changed this policy afterwards and are no longer honoring this doesn't make it right. The policy was in effect during the purchase of these early cars, and it should be honored.

Tesla resurrects free unlimited Supercharging on Model S and Model X

Last edited:
This statement alone should allow account holders prior to May 2017 to be able to buy a Model S or X any time in the future with free supercharging. The fact that they changed this policy afterwards and are no longer honoring this doesn't make it right. The policy was in effect during the purchase of these early cars, and it should be honored.

Tesla resurrects free unlimited Supercharging on Model S and Model X

Yes, I definitely remember this also reading from Elektrek. When Tesla announced it, people got excited and many people here in TMC and Elektrek, the comments were filled with "More reason to stay loyal to Tesla" type of comments.

Then Tesla changed the words on the Supercharging policy dozen times.

I am okay with Free supercharging going away and I am okay with the change of Tesla's wordings because I will charge at home except for frequent road trips. But to many people, they may not be okay and may consider it "deal breaker" and "misleading."

Last edited:
I am okay with Free supercharging going away and I am okay with the change of Tesla's wordings because I will charge at home except for frequent road trips. But to many people, they may not be okay and may consider it "deal breaker" and "misleading."

I'm okay with it going away for new owners too. But not for those who stepped up and supported Tesla in the early days and were given this promise when they purchased.