Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Finally Caught on I guess

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I just looked it up. 15 USC Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233 require that a Monroney be affixed to the windscreen or side window of every new vehicle sold, and may only be removed by the consumer. Tesla, unless they have an exemption, may be on the hook for a $1,000 fine per vehicle sold without one.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
I just looked it up. 15 USC Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233 require that a Monroney be affixed to the windscreen or side window of every new vehicle sold, and may only be removed by the consumer. Tesla, unless they have an exemption, may be on the hook for a $1,000 fine per vehicle sold without one.

I remember reading a thread about earlier, I'm not the only one. Maybe I should call my OA (who doesn't reply to any of my calls/texts about referrals, maybe they will about this!)

I mentioned it but I didn't push it @ delivery since I was so excited.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
15 USC ch 28 s. 1232 said:
Every manufacturer of new automobiles distributed in commerce shall, prior to the delivery of any new automobile to any dealer, or at or prior to the introduction date of new models delivered to a dealer prior to such introduction date, securely affix to the windshield, or side window of such automobile a label on which such manufacturer shall endorse clearly, distinctly and legibly true and correct entries disclosing the following information concerning such automobile
Emphasis mine.

If the label is present, but not accurate, it is not a label that fulfills the requirement, and therefore

15 USC ch 28 s 1233 said:
(b)Failure to endorse required label Any manufacturer of automobiles distributed in commerce who willfully fails to endorse clearly, distinctly and legibly any label as required by section 1232 of this title, or who makes a false endorsement of any such label, shall be fined not more than $1,000. Such failure or false endorsement with respect to each automobile shall constitute a separate offense.

"Dealer" is not defined as an auto dealership, but rather
15 USC ch 28 s. 1231 said:
(e) The term “dealer” shall mean any person resident or located in the United States or any Territory thereof or in the District of Columbia engaged in the sale or the distribution of new automobiles to the ultimate purchaser.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
If it's on your Moroney, that's what you purchased and are entitled to, regardless of what you paid.
So you're saying Tesla owes me EAP even though I didn't buy it.

My Monroney shows EAP:
IMG_0883.jpg

My Bill of Sale does not:
005.jpg

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
Interesting. Given that there is a discrepancy between the bill of sale and the Monroney, I would imagine that - given that AP/EAP/FSD are and were software options and not physical equipment, that the BoS would have supremacy.

I agree that physical equipment is key here. The law is not up to date with tech/ digital upgrades. I remember a similar situation about dealer installed upgrades which were glued on the sticker as another page ($1000 tint etc.) I refused to pay it at the time.

But Tesla not providing me one is a separate concern. (and I just chatted w/them and they said they'd ask the delivery center)

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
I think you're required by law to be provided one at time of sale.

Not only that- required to still be on the car window.

$1000 per violation.

When I picked mine up in 2018 every single model 3 I saw had had theirs (illegally) removed- (and most including mine weren't accurate anyway) so this appears to be a law nobody cares about enforcing.

Service can print you a "correct" one, and they did when I asked, though it's just printer-paper sized instead of the big new-car size one.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC