Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. Compatibility with a charger I've never in my life had a reason to use.

I guess if that's what people want, I hope they enjoy it.
Well, it was a lower hanging fruit than building an entirely new adapter (CCS). The only real surprise is how long it took for them to enable it ... especially since apparently no changes were needed for the adapters themselves, just enabling it on the vehicle side. I assume this was a combination of extensive testing and just having better things to apply their available engineering hours to. The fact that they've finally enabled it might be promising for other things looking good.

Hopefully CCS is coming next, as it would be clearly superior (in terms of charging speed, and also eventually and already in many places in terms of locations).

I have no reason to buy a ChaDeMo adapter since it's pretty much nowhere I want to get that I can't do so with Superchargers and it's not worth the cost for a slower charge. On the other hand, a CCS adapter I'd probably pick up just to increase my options as eventually CCS should have similar coverage to Supercharger and should have (usually, eventually) competitive charging speeds (vs ChaDeMo).

Unknown.jpeg

Hope there is no difference between this and the old S X adaptor and that it is just a firmware update that makes this possible.

Reactions: dhrivnak and deonb
I expect this has something to do with the imminent arrival of the Model 3 in the Japanese market. I understand the Japanese Model 3 will use the same Tesla socket as the USA Model 3.

As we have lots of ex-Japan used EVs here in NZ, almost all of our DC fast-charging stations have both Chademo and CCS cables. Both can go up to 50kW for now, though CCS has the potential to go much faster soon.

As there are only five Tesla superchargers in the country (vs. about 140 of the aforementioned fast-chargers), it’s a relief that our Model 3s will arrive with Type 2 CCS sockets and therefore, no need for the Chademo adapter (which is used by some Model S/X owners here; it does exist in modified-Type 2 form).

Though it is kinda funny that Tesla have to re-fit the five existing superchargers to make them compatible with their own latest model - and they haven’t started refitting them yet. Model 3 arrives next month. Obviously, the supercharger network here is of far less benefit than in other countries :) I’m impressed that Tesla fitted a standard socket to the Model 3 that’s more useful to us; they could easily have ‘done an Apple’ and stuck with their proprietary connector, which would require us to use that Chademo adapter (or similar).

I guess this development will have an effect here when Model 3s arrive ex-Japan in a few years’ time (84% of vehicle imports to NZ are used vehicles) - perhaps those cars will include the Chademo adapter, will not be able to use faster CCS unless there is another adapter, and will also be excluded from the Supercharger network.

-Alex

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Just ordered mine last night. Being so close to Canada, and a canoeist this will come in real handy. Yes bulky, but another adapter in the tool box. Waiting for the CCS as well.

Nice thing is that so many people I know are getting 3's locally so it can be a group share type of thing amongst friends.

Well, it was a lower hanging fruit than building an entirely new adapter (CCS). The only real surprise is how long it took for them to enable it ... especially since apparently no changes were needed for the adapters themselves, just enabling it on the vehicle side. I assume this was a combination of extensive testing and just having better things to apply their available engineering hours to. The fact that they've finally enabled it might be promising for other things looking good.

Some of us were not at all surprised and expected the Model 3 CHAdeMO adapter capability to be released in time for the release of the Model 3 in Japan.

CHAdeMO adapter working on the Model 3 was essential for Japan so I shouldn't take this as an indication on the release of the CCS adapter for North American Tesla-plug cars.

People have the CCS adapter working in their Tesla Type 2 Teslas, so at least there should now be engineering effort focused on the North American adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexGS
I don't know about USA, but there are a lot of places in Canada where such an adapter is going to be very useful.
There's some West Coast/East Coast stuff in the US, Nissan has gotten free Chademo into some work places, but that's relatively limited and optional while there's very little benefit in the rest of the country these days. Very niche.

The current value potential for it in Canada is much higher, and there's a good chance that in more Northern, rural areas it'll remain a relevant modest step up from L2 for some time to come. Although only roughly a speed doubling, 20kW charging equipment can be had for under $10,000 (plus install) these days, and if PetroCan follows through they'll be dotting the far flung landscape with their 50kW.

This is why it was down the ToDo priority list.

It looks like it but we await confirmation from a brave Model 3 owners getting 2019.24.1 and borrowing an old S/X Chademo adaptor to try it out. :)

I have a 3, and an S with an old Chademo adapter. (And I can confirm that the Chademo adapter didn't used to work on the 3... don't ask :)).

Once I get the update to 2019.24.1 I'll give it a go again and report back.

There's some West Coast/East Coast stuff in the US, Nissan has gotten free Chademo into some work places, but that's relatively limited and optional while there's very little benefit in the rest of the country these days. Very niche.

The current value potential for it in Canada is much higher, and there's a good chance that in more Northern, rural areas it'll remain a relevant modest step up from L2 for some time to come. Although only roughly a speed doubling, 20kW charging equipment can be had for under $10,000 (plus install) these days, and if PetroCan follows through they'll be dotting the far flung landscape with their 50kW.

This is why it was down the ToDo priority list.
One quirk of now having the Chademo option is that it eases the pressure on Tesla for a Type 1 CCS, as it covers off the contingency factor. Even if it’ll be slower and often sub-optimal w/future CCS build outs, most of those right now are coming w/a Chademo option.

Cool. Compatibility with a charger I've never in my life had a reason to use.

I guess if that's what people want, I hope they enjoy it.
Says the poster from SF Bay, aka supercharger central. :rolleyes:

I don't know about USA, but there are a lot of places in Canada where such an adapter is going to be very useful.
There are places outside California where it's useful. Maybe not as necessary as 2 years ago, but still useful.

FWIW, I tried expanding my previous road trip in A Better Route Planner to include CHAdeMO, but failed -- ABRP wouldn't let me check the CHAdeMO box for my Model 3. There's got to be some way around that -- maybe picking another car and adjusting efficiency figures and whatnot appropriately -- but I didn't bother. Instead, I tried selecting CCS as a proxy, which ABRP did accept, presumably because that's valid in Europe. Anyhow, the resulting route was still dominated by Tesla Superchargers, but with one stop at an Electrify America CCS station. ABRP seemed to be assuming I'd get more than the 50kW that the CHAdeMO adapter would provide, though -- crunching the numbers, it claimed a 114kW charge rate at that stop. The bottom line is that for this road trip (between Rhode Island and Ohio), CHAdeMO won't help -- except....

My own interest in this is as a backup/emergency charging plan. As it is, we're pretty much 100% dependent on Tesla as a company during road trips. If somebody were to target Tesla (the company) with malware, the Supercharger network could disappear temporarily. Paying $450 for insurance against such a happening seems a bit much, but I might pay it nonetheless. As others have said, there are a few places with better CHAdeMO than Supercharger coverage. I don't tend to drive to those places, but I might want to in the future, so having a CHAdeMO adapter in my trunk could be useful for that, too. Given the price, though, I'm likely to wait a bit in the hopes that a less expensive CCS adapter becomes available. That would be more useful on all counts, given that CHAdeMO seems to be the Beta to CCS's VHS, at least in North America.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller