Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Finance: Production X Leasing Details & Top-Tier US Bank Financing Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the loans through Tesla Financing can be paid off early. However, as per their email today,

"About the Resale Value Guarantee- Financing with Tesla’s lending partners qualifies for the Resale Value Guarantee. I’ve attached a sample of the program for your review. Please note, there is no financial penalty for early payoff, but payoff prior to 36 months will void the Resale Value Guarantee."

When I got my first S, I focused on this and was told that as long as the loan is not fully paid off by month 36, the RVG was still valid. So I suppose one could pay off most of the loan early as long as you leave some principal outstanding.

LEASING ADVANTAGES:
Lower monthly payments
Better tax write-offs (if applicable)
Tesla's 3 month bail-out if unhappy
Protection against unexpectedly high depreciation
Ease of getting out after 3 years
Easier to get into a new car after 3 years to take advantage of enhancements (more range, autopilot improvements, new technology)

Would we not get the same protection against unexpectedly high depreciation if we financed through Tesla and had the 36 month guaranteed value option? Wouldn't this give much of the benefits of both leasing and purchasing? Thanks for any guidance.

Would we not get the same protection against unexpectedly high depreciation if we financed through Tesla and had the 36 month guaranteed value option? Wouldn't this give much of the benefits of both leasing and purchasing? Thanks for any guidance.
Not really, because they only guaranty 50% on the base price and 42% on the options which is less attractive than the leasing residuals.

- - - Updated - - -

The recent announcement that the charger will only be 48 amps is another reason to lease. Based upon the early negative reactions to this announcement, I think TM will offer larger chargers in the not too distant future. That together with the larger battery packs, that we all anticipate, will have a negative impact on the resale value of the early cars.

Not really, because they only guaranty 50% on the base price and 42% on the options which is less attractive than the leasing residuals.

- - - Updated - - -

The recent announcement that the charger will only be 48 amps is another reason to lease. Based upon the early negative reactions to this announcement, I think TM will offer larger chargers in the not too distant future. That together with the larger battery packs, that we all anticipate, will have a negative impact on the resale value of the early cars.

Right now, I don't plan to ever resell my X, since my P serial will be < 50 I think. I believe these vehicles will last a long time. I expect to replace the original battery 10+ years from now whenever range degradation becomes unacceptable with one that is 400-500 miles of EPA range.

I'm still going to lease it to hedge my bets, then payoff the lease residual in 36 months if I haven't changed my mind at that time. However, if the 2019 Model X is self-driving and there is no upgrade path for mine, that it will be hard to keep my original one and I'll probably return and replace it.

I don't believe in delaying my purchase to wait for the next innovative feature set anymore. I was Model S 4,XXX reservation and didn't get it in 2012 because of the lack of AWD and Mercedes-style driver assistance safety features like blind spot detection, ACC and automatic braking. I also wasn't happy with the cramped back seat head room. I was stuck with a ML 350 SUV lease followed by a short E 350 lease when X was delayed yet again. Therefore, I missed the enjoyment of driving a Model S daily during the past 3 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigma4Life
I'm still going to lease it to hedge my bets, then payoff the lease residual in 36 months if I haven't changed my mind at that time.

Beware that if you buy the car at the end of the lease, you are giving up the $7500 federal tax credit. The $7500 tax credit is incorporated (added) into the residual to reduce the lease payments but is not removed to determine the purchase price at lease end.

If the $7500 tax credit had been deducted from the original price of the car (as opposed to added onto the residual), this problem would not exist.

If you want to confirm that you lose the tax credit, calculate your total expenditure under the terms of the lease (that is, add up your downpayment, lease payments, and the residual) and compare to the original price of the car.

I do not recommend leasing (a Tesla) if you plan on purchasing the car at lease end.

During "Alpha Release" :redface: of the Tesla Leasing and Tesla Lending "Apply online" links on Friday, I called Tesla Finance to inquire about the leasing money factor and residuals, and the top-tier financing rates for various terms. They appear to be the same/similar to Model S. Here they are. Note this was as of 10/23/2015. I repeated them back for confirmation and told the rep I'm going to share it on TMC. However, I take no responsibility for accuracy and you should definitely call Tesla Finance yourself at 1-650-681-6789 for confirmation when you configure your X.

The minimum down payment is 10%, and of course the $5K reservation is applied towards that.

Tesla Leasing

36 month lease with a 0.0016 Money Factor (MF) * 2,400 = 3.8%

Residual Values:

60% for 10K miles/year
59% for 12K miles/year
58% for 15K miles/year

The rep. said the X lease agreement will look just like the one used for the S. See at the end of this post for a sample Model S Motor Vehicle Lease Agreement - Closed-End - California.

Tesla Financing

I just asked about the financing rates for top-tier credit since I know I have 850 FICO. (I forgot to ask the minimum score for top-tier.) The rep. said the best rate for top-tier through them would be a loan funded by U.S. Bank at these rates:

36 months: 1.95%
48 months: 2.05%
60 months: 2.15%
72 months: 2.65%

The other financial institutions Tesla Finance LLC works with are: Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase, and TD (Ameritrade) Auto Finance.

I asked whether there is a Guaranteed Buyback Program offered for Model X. They said yes, and it works like this:

The customer can return your financed or owned vehicle to Tesla anytime between months 36 and 39. The customer will receive 50% of the original base price, and 42% of all the original cost of options (they depreciate more) on their vehicle. From my recollection, this works the same way as Model S?

I recall there are lower financing rates available from 3rd parties, but then you forgo the X Guaranteed Buyback Program. Based on the lease residual range of 58-60%, however, IMHO our X'es will most likely be worth more then a blended value of 50%/42% at the end of 36 months - so it's probably a moot point.

If anyone hears anything different or notices a typo, please post it. If it's confirmed by a second Tesla Finance rep, then I'll update these figures.

On 12/1/15, I got an email from Tesla NA Financial Services with basically the same info but in a little different format:

Residuals:
10,000 mile lease: 52% + $7,500 for the tax credit
12,000 mile lease: 51% + $7,500 for the tax credit
15,000 mile lease: 50% + $7,500 for the tax credit
All the other numbers were identical to what you got.

financing or not --- supposes that one has an alternative --- that is pay cash. Given those alternatives the equation is simple since interest paid is no longer in the tax equation. If one can make more on capital than the interest rate paid then finance. If not then don't. Alternative investments may yield a greater return that the 2.15% indicated above. If it does invest in the alternative and finance. Getting 2.5% return on an investment in today's markets is not highly risky.

All of that said, it becomes a personal decision.

On 12/1/15, I got an email from Tesla NA Financial Services with basically the same info but in a little different format:

Residuals:
10,000 mile lease: 52% + $7,500 for the tax credit
12,000 mile lease: 51% + $7,500 for the tax credit
15,000 mile lease: 50% + $7,500 for the tax credit
All the other numbers were identical to what you got.

I wonder if it would serve the greater good to combine these two threads?

Tesla Finance: Production X Leasing Details Top-Tier US Bank Financing Rates

ModelX Leasing question: Residual Value percentage

Here are the numbers I got for a P90D totaling $134,420 (before CA sales tax, tax credits, or any other rebates) at 15,000 miles per year:

$5,000 cap cost reduction
$695 acquisition fee
$962 DMV fees
$1,846 first payment
$679 (9% CA sales tax on acq fee, 1st pmt, and $5k cap cost reduc)
TOTAL = $9,182 due at delivery (or $4,182 since your $5,000 reservation payment will be applied)

The $7,500 Federal tax credit is built into the lease.

Estimated full payment for 36 months including CA sales tax would be $2,013/mo.

My documentation shows the residuals for my particular configuration ($126,920 when $7,500 Federal tax credit is applied) are:

10,000 miles per year - $77,398 (61%)
12,000 miles per year - $76,054 (60%)
15,000 miles per year - $74,710 (59%)

There's also a scummy $395 disposition fee at the end of the lease when the vehicle is returned.

Anyone consider taking a home equity loan to pay for the X? Interest rate maybe a little higher but its tax deductible. Whats the pros and cons with this option. I'm thinking of using this option.

I've thought briefly about this option. At least for me it doesn't make sense.

It looks like car loans are somewhere on the order of 2 to 2.5%. The HELOC I have on my house is at 3.75%. The car loans don't adjust - the HELOC does adjust, and I judge that if there are any changes in the HELOC rate, those changes will be up (though in the larger context, I expect interest rates to remain quite low for an unknown time in the years range).

I live in a state with 9% income tax, so my marginal tax rate is 37%. Being able to deduct the interest on a home loan means I pay 37% less. If there were 33%, then 3.75% would translate to 2.25% after tax savings. Of course your own marginal tax rate will change things and I'm pretty sure there are other issues that can influence the basic math. If your marginal rate is lower, then that increases the effective interest rate you're paying and makes it harder for the home equity loan to beat the car loan.

For me, it looks like I can get a lower or at least equivalent rate. It will be fixed for the life of the loan, so I don't add on any risk of the rate increasing. And it's a minor thing, but the loans are then all tied to the property they're used for. If something happens financially and my back is against the wall, with a car loan against Model X, I can give back the keys (I'm sure it's not THAT simple). If I'm using a home loan to pay for Model X and I'm unable to make the payments (it's an admittedly disastrous corner case with little likelihood of actually happening), then it's the house that is at risk (I'd rather not end up with the Model X and no home). So the consequences of any risk occurrence are linked appropriately.

Bottom line for me - I'll use a car loan to finance some of the purchase if it looks like I can get the ridiculously low car loan rates I've been seeing.

I suppose another option is leasing - I can't help you there though, as I'm buying and hoping I'm still driving this car in 30 years.

What would serve the greater good is someone creating a Auto Finance Rate wiki so that we could easily show TMC members where the best rates are. Combing threads between leasing and financing, which are two different methods of car buying/renting, is counterproductive, IMO.

I live in a state with 9% income tax, so my marginal tax rate is 37%.

Be careful calculating marginal tax rates --- if you itemize (and aren't in the alternative minimum tax (AMT)) you can't add the federal marginal rate to the state marginal rate (because the state tax is deductible in calculating the federal tax).

Example: 28% federal rate plus state rate of 9% = 28% + (9% x (1 - 28%)) or 34.48% effective combined marginal rates. Not 37%.

If you're in the AMT, then adding the two tax rates together is fine.

Be careful calculating marginal tax rates --- if you itemize (and aren't in the alternative minimum tax (AMT)) you can't add the federal marginal rate to the state marginal rate (because the state tax is deductible in calculating the federal tax).

Example: 28% federal rate plus state rate of 9% = 28% + (9% x (1 - 28%)) or 34.48% effective combined marginal rates. Not 37%.

If you're in the AMT, then adding the two tax rates together is fine.

Thanks for pointing this out. For me, the difference between 34.5% and 37% doesn't change the decision. For others, being more precise may make an important difference and is good to know.

Long time lurker on the forums but with the mass of invitations to configure that went out today, I find myself surprisingly in the position to move forward with my order now.

One thing that I'm a little confused about though is how folks are approaching financing. I'll likely consider financing via Tesla if only for the 50% buy back option--but I want to still shop rates. Given that pre-approvals at your average back are only valid for say, 30 days, maybe 60 if you're lucky... how are folks timing getting their financials in order given a *very* open ended and loose delivery time line. I know from a very tangible point of view that I can afford this, but at the same time, this is far and above anything I've ever been willing to pay for a car before--so the whole process does have me feeling far more on guard and cautious than perhaps warranted.

Thanks for any advice / tips!

Long time lurker on the forums but with the mass of invitations to configure that went out today, I find myself surprisingly in the position to move forward with my order now.

One thing that I'm a little confused about though is how folks are approaching financing. I'll likely consider financing via Tesla if only for the 50% buy back option--but I want to still shop rates. Given that pre-approvals at your average back are only valid for say, 30 days, maybe 60 if you're lucky... how are folks timing getting their financials in order given a *very* open ended and loose delivery time line. I know from a very tangible point of view that I can afford this, but at the same time, this is far and above anything I've ever been willing to pay for a car before--so the whole process does have me feeling far more on guard and cautious than perhaps warranted.

Thanks for any advice / tips!

i am in a similar situation. from what i read on these forums, tesla financing is the only way to get the guaranteed buyback. the good news is that tesla financing gives you the best rates of 4 banks and you can decide which one to go with. as far as "when", i will be waiting until the DS assigned to you calls you and tells you that you should start the financing part as the vehicle is entering delivery stage.

i am in a similar situation. from what i read on these forums, tesla financing is the only way to get the guaranteed buyback. the good news is that tesla financing gives you the best rates of 4 banks and you can decide which one to go with. as far as "when", i will be waiting until the DS assigned to you calls you and tells you that you should start the financing part as the vehicle is entering delivery stage.

Yeah, to clarify, I intend to possibly do some rate shopping on my own from local credit unions. The buyback is a nice enticement to finance via Tesla, but at the same time, given the size of this purchase, I'm loathe to think I'd want to get rid of it 3 years in. If that were the case, I might as well just lease.

Yeah, to clarify, I intend to possibly do some rate shopping on my own from local credit unions. The buyback is a nice enticement to finance via Tesla, but at the same time, given the size of this purchase, I'm loathe to think I'd want to get rid of it 3 years in. If that were the case, I might as well just lease.
At this point, the market value of a 3 year old Model S is higher than the buyback guarantee would be. Unless something tragic happens to Tesla in the next 3 years, I would expect the same to hold true for Model X.

Anyone have the fine print on the guaranteed buyback? I think it would be very interesting to see what they consider when they make their offer.

Also, for what it's worth, I was just told it is 43% of options/upgrades and not 42% anymore.