Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Finance Re-registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We relocated from California to Washington state back in summer 2021. Given the COVID-19 pandemic we were unable to get physical Washington Drivers Licenses until late October 2021. We promptly went to Washington Vehicle and Vessel Licensing to register our two Model Ys the first week of November. Washington State requires a physical copy of the title to complete the process. Most leasing companies this request can be made via fax or phone by Vehicle and Vessel Licensing. Tesla is the exception because they do not allow you to speak with a representative. You are forced to a general voicemail box or internet intake form. We paid WA state fees and received a short term temporary paper tag. We then contacted Tesla and provided the title request form and completed registration packet on November 5, 2021.

Since then Tesla Finance has made multiple requests to confirm our home address, copies of driver licenses and insurance cards. We get the same request about once a month. In February 2022, 3 whole months later Tesla Finance emails with a message that WA requires a physical copy of the title to complete registration. WTH! That was in my original email request with the completed forms from the state back in November! Tesla also sent a package requesting paper photo copies of drivers licenses and insurance cards and a power of attorney that needed to be notarized and overnighted via UPS. The documents and notarized forms were returned same day. The worse thing was my PDFs included documents for another customer in NJ with all his PII exposed!!! I emailed Tesla on their egregious mistake.

Roughly a month later Tesla emails me and apologize that the process is still being worked on. In that request, Tesla Finance asked if I relocated and to confirm my address. WTH! Nearly 4 months into the process and Tesla Finance does understand that we relocated from CA to WA! I replied and confirmed my address for the countless time.

Today I received yet another email from Tesla citing my re-registration request requires a physical title and the delays are beyond their control. At this point, I’m concern has the request to CA for the physical title even been made. Then the email goes on to talk about requirements for my package for TN and NJ. WTH! I moved from CA to WA! And guess what more copies of my drivers license and insurance card to add to my package to prevent re-registration delays.

Clearly, Tesla Finance is a clown show. The level of incompetence is astounding. This is not my first dance with Tesla Finance Leasing. Last time they tried to assess damages and excessive wear on our Model X that was turned in with only half the miles used on the lease and 4 new tires (5k mi) in the tune of almost $8k. They investigated lease return the photos after contacting the BBB and surprise, the photos showed a pristine vehicle. With all the defects and complete absence service I will never drive a Tesla again after these leases are up. Sadly, Tesla has lost the innovation and everyone is catching up while they can’t assemble a car consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: mr-dmitry
I am going through the same exact issue right now. Moved from Florida here to WA. Requested the reregister on 2/7/2022 and still have not received anything after giving them the required docs they requested. I have 14 days left in my temp.

This is just an FYI. CA DMV is months behind on titles. I bought out a lease in October of 2020. Sent in all the paperwork, and received (an incorrectly completed) title in the mail almost 4 months later. I asked the leasing company to fix the title, and received the corrected title another 3 months later. So a bit over a half a year to get a title on a vehicle. Some of the delays were the incompetence of the leasing company, but most of the delays were from the DMV. I imagine your situation is a good combination of both.

I’m having the same issue. Moved from CA to MD back in February 2022. Tried going to the MVA myself but found out Tesla will “take care” of it. Started this process March 18, 2022 and was told it should take 15-20 days and my new tags would be ship to me by FedEx. It’s now May and I haven’t received anything. My CA tags are now expired and I can’t drive my MY. I have emailed and left voicemails a countless number of times. I don’t know what else to do. Thinking about just buying a new car in MD and letting this car go. Sad, but Tesla’s customer service is very bad. That goes a long way for me to want to use that company’s products. Hope everyone else in this thread has a better outcome.

Quick update. I’m still waiting for WA registration since November 2021. I’ve left multiple voicemails that go unanswered and emails with canned responses returned.

The last voicemail I told them Tesla is responsible for any fines or legal fees from this point. I keep my email thread handy for the police in case of a traffic stop. I can’t not drive the car I’m paying for monthly. I would happily park the cars if the payments were held.

Quick update. I’m still waiting for WA registration since November 2021. I’ve left multiple voicemails that go unanswered and emails with canned responses returned.

The last voicemail I told them Tesla is responsible for any fines or legal fees from this point. I keep my email thread handy for the police in case of a traffic stop. I can’t not drive the car I’m paying for monthly. I would happily park the cars if the payments were held.
I am astounded by the incompetence of Tesla Leasing. I have had my car in SC for a year and could not receive-register my car because someone transferred my title to West Virginia. Tesla sent me a new title and said congratulations on your relocation. I never moved and had to re-register the car and get new plates for $170. Tesla refuses to reimburse me for the new plates stating it is my state’s DMV that is the problem. This statement is demonstrably a lie as SC does not hold titles and only the leasing company could have switched the title to West Virginia as they are the only one is possession of the title. I’m beyond enraged - worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. I’m going to the State Attorney General, BBB among others to share this consumer abuse. From looking at these posts, there are enormous problems with Tesla leasing and registration. It’s inexcusable.

Reactions: Scarecrow
I’m having the same issue. Moved from CA to MD back in February 2022. Tried going to the MVA myself but found out Tesla will “take care” of it. Started this process March 18, 2022 and was told it should take 15-20 days and my new tags would be ship to me by FedEx. It’s now May and I haven’t received anything. My CA tags are now expired and I can’t drive my MY. I have emailed and left voicemails a countless number of times. I don’t know what else to do. Thinking about just buying a new car in MD and letting this car go. Sad, but Tesla’s customer service is very bad. That goes a long way for me to want to use that company’s products. Hope everyone else in this thread has a better outcome.
Update: Decided to terminate my lease early and buy a new car. Not what I wanted to do but have no other option.

Having the same problem with a leased Model S - moved from Missouri to Virginia in November and have had radio silence from Tesla since sending them the documents they requested in January. My tags expire next month and it's basically guaranteed to expire before I hear anything. They also stopped answering the phone about two months ago and now have only a voicemail or email that they never respond to. Not sure what to do but might have to just terminate my lease and move on with life.

Are there any early lease termination penalties?

Tesla‘s continued decline in customer service is unacceptable. They also do not have a phone number for the Tesla shop. I ordered two pair of OEM mud flaps for our MPYs and only received one. Took over a week to resolve a common e-commerce issue because Tesla takes 7 days to respond.

Are there any early lease termination penalties?

Tesla‘s continued decline in customer service is unacceptable. They also do not have a phone number for the Tesla shop. I ordered two pair of OEM mud flaps for our MPYs and only received one. Took over a week to resolve a common e-commerce issue because Tesla takes 7 days to respond.
I ended up renewing my tags in CA for another year and might do it for the last year of the lease since Tesla is going to take the car back anyway. Tesla offers to give you a quote for a early lease termination. When I did one, I would have to pay nothing to give it back early. Probably because the prices of used car have risen so much.
Almost purchased a Audi e-tron, and still might in the future, but I like my car note now and I paid a year of subscription service for the premium connectivity lol.

I unexpectedly received a call from Tesla finance today. It was in response to my email to escal to a supervisor 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was not a supervisor. The rep was honest and said that he shows no progress on my request on his end and does not have an explanation. Even more concerning he was not aware of any of the document request or notarized power of attorney they had me complete and return back in Feb.

Fortunately the nice people at the WA DOL were helpful and extended my temp tags. The perplexed looks that the original request was Nov 2021😔

I ended up emailing [email protected] with my complaint and threatening to engage in arbitration - 24 hours later I got an email update from the Tesla finance team.
Having the same problem with a leased Model S - moved from Missouri to Virginia in November and have had radio silence from Tesla since sending them the documents they requested in January. My tags expire next month and it's basically guaranteed to expire before I hear anything. They also stopped answering the phone about two months ago and now have only a voicemail or email that they never respond to. Not sure what to do but might have to just terminate my lease and move on with life.
I ended up emailing [email protected] with my complaint and threatening to engage in arbitration - 24 hours later I got an email update from the Tesla finance team.

We relocated from California to Washington state back in summer 2021. Given the COVID-19 pandemic we were unable to get physical Washington Drivers Licenses until late October 2021. We promptly went to Washington Vehicle and Vessel Licensing to register our two Model Ys the first week of November. Washington State requires a physical copy of the title to complete the process. Most leasing companies this request can be made via fax or phone by Vehicle and Vessel Licensing. Tesla is the exception because they do not allow you to speak with a representative. You are forced to a general voicemail box or internet intake form. We paid WA state fees and received a short term temporary paper tag. We then contacted Tesla and provided the title request form and completed registration packet on November 5, 2021.

Since then Tesla Finance has made multiple requests to confirm our home address, copies of driver licenses and insurance cards. We get the same request about once a month. In February 2022, 3 whole months later Tesla Finance emails with a message that WA requires a physical copy of the title to complete registration. WTH! That was in my original email request with the completed forms from the state back in November! Tesla also sent a package requesting paper photo copies of drivers licenses and insurance cards and a power of attorney that needed to be notarized and overnighted via UPS. The documents and notarized forms were returned same day. The worse thing was my PDFs included documents for another customer in NJ with all his PII exposed!!! I emailed Tesla on their egregious mistake.

Roughly a month later Tesla emails me and apologize that the process is still being worked on. In that request, Tesla Finance asked if I relocated and to confirm my address. WTH! Nearly 4 months into the process and Tesla Finance does understand that we relocated from CA to WA! I replied and confirmed my address for the countless time.

Today I received yet another email from Tesla citing my re-registration request requires a physical title and the delays are beyond their control. At this point, I’m concern has the request to CA for the physical title even been made. Then the email goes on to talk about requirements for my package for TN and NJ. WTH! I moved from CA to WA! And guess what more copies of my drivers license and insurance card to add to my package to prevent re-registration delays.

Clearly, Tesla Finance is a clown show. The level of incompetence is astounding. This is not my first dance with Tesla Finance Leasing. Last time they tried to assess damages and excessive wear on our Model X that was turned in with only half the miles used on the lease and 4 new tires (5k mi) in the tune of almost $8k. They investigated lease return the photos after contacting the BBB and surprise, the photos showed a pristine vehicle. With all the defects and complete absence service I will never drive a Tesla again after these leases are up. Sadly, Tesla has lost the innovation and everyone is catching up while they can’t assemble a car consistently.
I leased a Tesla in Charlotte NC last year. I was a TN resident at the time. It took Tesla 3 months to register my car in TN. I had to call the Charlotte location for extension on my NC temp tags. Tesla Nashville was the responsible party. Now I'm an OH resident and need to transfer the title for tags here. The BMV title office said I must provide a fax # for Tesla leasing and they would require a power of attorney document from them. Five days now and no response via email. I just emailed the Columbus service center hoping they can help. I haven't had one positive customer experience with Tesla. There products are great but their ego makes them think no one will ever need to contact them. They are very much like apple. As Tesla drivers, we are walking marketing for them. I tell everyone how terrible Tesla is. They owe me $1000 for a tow bill covered under warranty. They aren't pushing back on having to pay it. They are just ignoring me. I'm going to contact an attorney.

Correct Addresses and Corporate Codes? I am having similar issues trying to re-register my leased Tesla in another state. I received all of my paperwork only to find when I went to the DMV that the Application for Certificate of Ownership has the incorrect address and corporate codes under the "Owner" and "Lienholder" fields. Does anyone know what these might be? Would you mind sharing them with me from your paperwork? I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Correct Addresses and Corporate Codes? I am having similar issues trying to re-register my leased Tesla in another state. I received all of my paperwork only to find when I went to the DMV that the Application for Certificate of Ownership has the incorrect address and corporate codes under the "Owner" and "Lienholder" fields. Does anyone know what these might be? Would you mind sharing them with me from your paperwork? I would REALLY appreciate it!!
Did you ever get the correct addresses and corporate codes? If so, can you please share. Having the same issue.