Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla firmware update notifications - no wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that you don't need to turn wifi off in the car the make it sleep more. Wifi in the car will not prevent the car from sleeping. Starting your mobile app will wake the car, and wifi has nothing to do with it.

I am not sure if you would still get update notifications. I believe you might get the critical ones? But anyway, I would suggest you just turn wifi back on since there's no gain keeping it off

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_
Upvote 0
You will get a lot less updates offered to you with the wifi off, but still some. I turned off my wifi to avoid the holiday update, and it was about a month before I got a prompt that an update was downloaded via LTE (which I have continued to skip :) ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does Tesla inform of available update via mobile app when the car is not on WIFI.

Context: I have turned off wifi, to let the car sleep more and save energy.
wifi availability doesn't impact sleep at all nor does it impact update availability
My car has been away from wifi for days and still gets update notifications
That has me wondering what basis you are using for turning wifi off to save energy or sleep more?
if anything wifi uses LESS energy than LTE

Upvote 0
Most updates yes, but Tesla will still push some over cellular if they consider them high priority.
That's what Tesla says, but I don't think our cars have downloaded any updates via LTE in the last 2-3 years. On the other hand, our cars have access to WiFi when parked at home, so it's possible some updates I received via WiFi would have downloaded via LTE if no WiFi was available. Map updates definitely require WiFi.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Upvote 0
On the other hand, our cars have access to WiFi when parked at home, so it's possible some updates I received via WiFi would have downloaded via LTE if no WiFi was available.

@EVRider-FL exactly. There are definite reports from people who do not have parking at home and/or work that's within range of their WiFi networks, and have received updates over LTE.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
The theory is that I've heard is a weak wifi signal is worse than no signal since it's constantly seeking. Haven't looked into this though.
Bingo!, I have a had a lot of issues with Phantom drain, so I was eliminating all things like 3rd party monitoring (teslafi , etc.. etc.) among other things and one of the comments were related to unstable wifi signal, so I had stopped this; I did not have a need to restart this process again and became curious and wanted to know about the notification process.

Upvote 0
hey, if thats what you want to spend time on, its your time to spend ;)
I've got TeslaFi enabled, wifi, etc etc. Just turn off sentry at home and leave smart summon standby set off and its been fine for years.
Car sleeps happily before and after its nightly charge and stays plugged in when not in use. No issues.
You've obviously spent some time here and figured out to only ask the one question you want answering - very wise :D

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
That's what Tesla says, but I don't think our cars have downloaded any updates via LTE in the last 2-3 years. On the other hand, our cars have access to WiFi when parked at home, so it's possible some updates I received via WiFi would have downloaded via LTE if no WiFi was available. Map updates definitely require WiFi.
I can absolutely confirm that my car downloaded an update over LTE in February after being off of WiFi for over a month.

Upvote 0
I disabled wifi when I learned about the messed up UI with "holiday update". I don't remember how long exactly, but within a month of release it downloaded itself over LTE. After a week I caved and pressed the install button. I wish I hadn't like some of the guys here that are still holding out.

I'm curious why the OP thinks that turning off wifi saves battery or lets the car sleep more.
I'm in and out of my garage often. With wifi on the car is awake much more frequently. Presumably with wifi on at all times, it is phoning home to mothership much more frequently. After I disconnected from wifi (must forget the wifi profile completely), one time I didn't drive the car for a whole week and the battery only dropped 2%. With wifi connected at all times it can lose that in a day.

The theory is that I've heard is a weak wifi signal is worse than no signal since it's constantly seeking. Haven't looked into this though.
I definitely believe that to be true. My wifi router is at the other end of my house and signal was extremely weak in the garage. Since I added a mesh wifi node in my garage (and before I permanently disconnected my car from wifi), the car woke much less frequently.

Upvote 0
I disabled wifi when I learned about the messed up UI with "holiday update". I don't remember how long exactly, but within a month of release it downloaded itself over LTE. After a week I caved and pressed the install button. I wish I hadn't like some of the guys here that are still holding out.

I'm in and out of my garage often. With wifi on the car is awake much more frequently. Presumably with wifi on at all times, it is phoning home to mothership much more frequently. After I disconnected from wifi (must forget the wifi profile completely), one time I didn't drive the car for a whole week and the battery only dropped 2%. With wifi connected at all times it can lose that in a day.

I definitely believe that to be true. My wifi router is at the other end of my house and signal was extremely weak in the garage. Since I added a mesh wifi node in my garage (and before I permanently disconnected my car from wifi), the car woke much less frequently.
I have a mesh node in my garage so the car has high quality signal. It routinely sleeps for 12+ hours at a stretch (as shown on TeslaFi), so I do not believe WiFi availability, in itself, causes more frequent wakes and thus battery drain. Be aware that any use of the Tesla app will wake the car up if it is sleeping! TeslaFi knows when the car is sleeping and does not wake it up unless you tell it to.

Upvote 0
what made the biggest difference for me was setting the car to not lock when in the garage. That stops it waking up because its not locked when anyone goes into the garage. I also keep Senry disabled at home, standby summon off etc.
Last night according to Teslafi it was asleep for 8 hours, the night before was 10 hours - yep I still have TeslaFi connected and the car still sleeps fine :)
Wonder if there is something else thats keeping your car awake 🤔

Upvote 0