Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla First Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi me and my wife currently have a model x and love it so we have decided to get my 17 year old son a Tesla Model S or X for his first car. He is headed off to college next year and we would like to reward him. I am currently debating between a model s or model x. I am planning to custom order and surprise him for his 18th birthday with it in December. We do know that this is a huge gift, but we believe he has earned this, we are using his college money that we had saved because he got a 4 year full ride scholarship to Stanford. Should I get him a model s or x?

What!!! Can't be serious... he should be studying, not queuing up at the supercharger. Guess you really want him to come back to live with you after college. Seriously, you would do him a great favor to continue to invest the money he's saved you until he needs it for his MD or JD (making assumptions here). OR put it towards a down payment on a place for him to stay at while at school...

What!!! Can't be serious... he should be studying, not queuing up at the supercharger. Guess you really want him to come back to live with you after college. Seriously, you would do him a great favor to continue to invest the money he's saved you until he needs it for his MD or JD (making assumptions here). OR put it towards a down payment on a place for him to stay at while at school...
i would get an inventory car for him, save a lot of money, unless you really want to spend the extra, then i would recommend getting a model x. safer and the doors are the cool factor. however as cmd_keen said, saving that amount of money just for a few years goes up a lot through interest, or put it in stocks and make even more. also both are extremely powerful cars, and for someone who is still a teenager, it is definitely not a smart purchase. there are kids who go to my son's school who have their own bmws (m4, m3, i8, a LOT more others too, theres maseratis, porsches, mercedes, audis, etc. theres more luxury cars that teenagers drive than the normal toyotas or hondas), and they are TERRIBLE drivers. theres someone always racing each other near my house, and sometimes my son shows me his snapchat of kids driving their benzes at 130mph on our local roads. if your kid is on the WAY MORE responsible side, i guess you can take the risk, otherwise i would strongly consider investing the money into something or getting a model 3. thats it

Sounds like your kid is smart. The decision to spend this $ on a big ticket depreciating liability for an 18 yr old is debatable at best. I am sure he deserves all the best things it and is a great person but I’d seriously reconsider.

I’d consider providing your son the $ in an investment portfolio so he can build upon it for his future. Maybe begin by using the funds as a down payment to purchase multi-tenant units near the university that he can manage and set the ball rolling on asset growth.

I’d you’re completely set on getting him a Tesla I’d suggest the X with 5 or 7 seat fold flat seats for maximum keg storage capacity!

Reactions: dhrivnak and CSFTN