Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Flaw Correction Procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is allotting me 15 minutes to purchase my M3 on December 30th. What actions must I take withing those 15 minutes if there are cosmetic flaws that I need correcting?

I can imagine Tesla overseers flogging assembly workers over the holidays to get them to fill the huge end of the month demand. I also imagine that the little QA Tesla does will fall by the wayside, possibly resulting in gross imperfections (the paint will be curing as it travels down the freeway for crying out loud). I plan on accepting my M3, warts and all, as long as Tesla intends to fix faults. So, what can I ask them to do in my allotted 15 minutes to get them to bring the car up to new car standards (if required)?

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Tesla isn’t going to fix anything for you once they have your money.

I would advise to either make sure the car is 100% or reject the delivery and try again.

That is not what I have read in this forum. Plenty of people have indicated that Tesla corrected flaws from the factory. Also, I understand that if you reject delivery you are not permitted to purchase that model for a year.

Tesla is allotting me 15 minutes to purchase my M3 on December 30th. What actions must I take withing those 15 minutes if there are cosmetic flaws that I need correcting?

I can imagine Tesla overseers flogging assembly workers over the holidays to get them to fill the huge end of the month demand. I also imagine that the little QA Tesla does will fall by the wayside, possibly resulting in gross imperfections (the paint will be curing as it travels down the freeway for crying out loud). I plan on accepting my M3, warts and all, as long as Tesla intends to fix faults. So, what can I ask them to do in my allotted 15 minutes to get them to bring the car up to new car standards (if required)?

How do you know you got only 15 minutes ?

Thank you

Recently delivered RED LR AWD:

I'll chime on this and was also told by my delivery guy when I got to the Carlsbad delivery center that I only had 15 minutes to go over and sign the initial papers (forgot what exactly it was, but I did not hand over the payment yet). I was told it was due to the fact they had a lot of deliveries that day (yesterday) and had to make room for other deliveries.

However he told me I could park my car outside and inspect the car fully for as long as I want. I brought 2 other friends as a set of eyes, and we were inspecting the car for at least an hour outside and found about a dozen paint chips/clearcoat blemishes all over the car.

The delivery guy occasionally checked on me, and I told him I needed more time, and he gladly obliged. When I was finished, I told him about all the defects and he also brought over the delivery center manager (or I was told) and both of them inspected the defects with me and agreed to fix them. The delivery guy wrote the defects down and took some pictures of the major ones.

Then I went inside and spoke with one of the service techs, telling him I don't want to drive my car off and have to come back at my appt. since I live far away and would endure possibly more rock chips along the way because I was planning to get the car fully wrapped after leaving. He agreed to keep it there and would work on it within a couple weeks (he didn't know exactly when because there was a backlog of cars to be repaired) and I would get a Model S loaner in the mean time.

It was AFTER that fact was when I signed the final paperwork and hand over the money.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow with the free UBER ride Tesla is providing.

To SUM IT UP, tell the delivery person that you want to fully inspect the car outside before finalizing the paperwork and handing over the money. I'm sure they would happily obliged. They just can't keep it inside the delivery center due to other deliveries requiring space.

Recently delivered RED LR AWD:

When I was finished, I told him about all the defects and he also brought over the delivery center manager (or I was told) and both of them inspected the defects with me and agreed to fix them. The delivery guy wrote the defects down and took some pictures of the major ones.

If you had elected to return later to address corrections, was there a document or something that they would give you? It certainly wasn't an IOU on a business card, was it?

Ah! Does anyone know if delivery centers are issuing due bills to customers pointing out flaws within the last week?

Someone posted on another delivery thread that Tesla is no longer using "Due Bills". I have no idea if this is true or not, but I would try to get everything they are promising you in writing (In my case, the Tesla approved body shop accepted hardcopies or pics of the written documents, promising to fix the paint flaws). I'm hoping your car and delivery experience are perfect and you won't have to worry about a Due Bill. Good Luck !!

I tried very hard to get my delivery advisor to put a due bill item in writing. They owed me a set of 19” wheels which was supposed to be installed on the car at delivery but they forgot to order them. They absolutely refused to issue a written due bill. So I dictated the exact wording I wanted it to say while I watched him type my instructions into the order management system. Then he showed me what he wrote and I confirmed it was entered into the system. And yes, I did eventually get my wheels.

I would be very careful about accepting a car with a lot of paint flaws unless they can fix them right away. You don’t want to be dealing with visits to body shops on a brand new car. I get the pressure to take delivery prior to year end for the tax credit. It’s a decision each person has to make on the spot.

As others have stated, the 15 minute window is just silly nonsense. Take as much time as you need to inspect the car and don’t sign any paperwork until you are satisfied. If you need to reject the car ask if they have anything else in stock. Rejecting a car does not disqualify you from getting another one. Only returning the car after you take delivery triggers that penalty, and only for that exact trim level.

• Informative
Reactions: jgd108
I would be very careful about accepting a car with a lot of paint flaws unless they can fix them right away. You don’t want to be dealing with visits to body shops on a brand new car. I get the pressure to take delivery prior to year end for the tax credit. It’s a decision each person has to make on the spot.

Having lived through this, I would agree with you. My delivery guy initially refused to write down a majority of the paint flaws, but I guess I wore him down and he relented. I had to wait 2.5 months for the first available Tesla Approved Body Shop appointment. It's also the main reason I decided not to preorder the new Roadster....

If I could go back in time, I would definitely take your advice. Lesson learned on my part ......

I received delivery of my P3D- at the Santa Barbara. I inspected the vehicle in its entirety. Found a blemish in the rear bumper where paint was missing to to how it was sprayed under the driver tailight. I mentioned that to the delivery tech and a SA went to inspect it. They replaced the entire bumper in about 45 min.

I received delivery of my P3D- at the Santa Barbara. I inspected the vehicle in its entirety. Found a blemish in the rear bumper where paint was missing to to how it was sprayed under the driver tailight. I mentioned that to the delivery tech and a SA went to inspect it. They replaced the entire bumper in about 45 min.
Good news. The end of year crush isn't preventing Tesla from bringing deliveries up to standard. At least in SB.

Someone posted on another delivery thread that Tesla is no longer using "Due Bills". I have no idea if this is true or not, but I would try to get everything they are promising you in writing (In my case, the Tesla approved body shop accepted hardcopies or pics of the written documents, promising to fix the paint flaws). I'm hoping your car and delivery experience are perfect and you won't have to worry about a Due Bill. Good Luck !!

Untrue as I just returned from getting my loaner Model S and got a copy of the due bill.

The service guy handling this case told me I can also go to the body shop once it arrives and show them all the defects so they can properly document it and fix all of them instead of taking the word of my delivery guy when he noted them down initially.