Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla floor mats vs third party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells several different types of floor mats, floor liners for the Model Y. These includes molded all weather floor liners and rough texture floor mats. If you mean the molded all weather floor liners then the Tesla all weather floor liners are similar to other brands of floor liners. The Tesla floor liners are currently manufactured by WeatherTech. (The WeatherTech logo is molded into the bottom of the liner.) The Tesla branded floor liners cost more than some of the other competing products. Also, some of the other brands offer complete sets including a hatch floor liner, frunk bin liner and rear lower storage bin liner. Tesla sells these additional liners individually.

Some of the differences between brands of molded all weather floor liners include how high the sides of the liner go to contain snow, slush and water. Tesla modified the design of the front seat risers, some of the floor liners go straight across at the back edge of the liner. Other front seat liners have a lip that extends a bit deeper under the front seat between the seat risers. Since the Tesla redesign of the front seat risers some of the front seat floor liners don't extend all of the way under the now slightly recessed front edge of the seat risers, perhaps 3/4" to 1" short of the front edge of the riser.

For the hatch area liner some of the liners allow cargo to easily slide around, other hatch liners are textured and this can help hold cargo from sliding. Some of the hatch area liners are designed with a crease to fold to allow easy access to the lower rear cargo bin. Some other liners have no crease but fold easily enough to facilitate access to the lower storage bin.

Some of the brands display a very visible brand logo on the floor liner. Other brands have no visible logo.

The list of competing floor liners for the Tesla Model Y gets longer every month it seems including:
Tesla
WeatherTech
3DMaxpider
Tesmanian
Abstract Ocean
LDCRS
Evannex
Amazon (multiple sellers)
Tuxmat

Last edited:
Tesla sells several different types of floor mats, floor liners for the Model Y. These includes molded all weather floor liners and rough texture floor mats. If you mean the molded all weather floor liners then the Tesla all weather floor liners are similar to other brands of floor liners. The Tesla floor liners are currently manufactured by WeatherTech. (The WeatherTech logo is molded into the bottom of the liner.) The Tesla branded floor liners cost more than some of the other competing products. Also, some of the other brands offer complete sets including a hatch floor liner, frunk bin liner and rear lower storage bin liner. Tesla sells these additional liners individually.

The list of competing floor liners for the Tesla Model Y gets longer every month it seems including:
Tesla
WeatherTech
3DMaxpider
Tesmanian
Abstract Ocean
LDCRS
Evannex
Tuxmat

Thanks @jcanoe - I didn't realize the Tesla floor liners were Weather Tech products. I'm very familiar with those and have them in my other vehicles. I'll review the other threads for something with a less 'plastic' feel. I'm in VA and we don't have much snow/slush, etc, at least most years, so I don't need a heavy duty Weather Tech type liner. Thanks again,

Thanks @jcanoe - I didn't realize the Tesla floor liners were Weather Tech products. I'm very familiar with those and have them in my other vehicles. I'll review the other threads for something with a less 'plastic' feel. I'm in VA and we don't have much snow/slush, etc, at least most years, so I don't need a heavy duty Weather Tech type liner. Thanks again,
The Model Y still comes with a full set of carpeted floor mats as far as I know. I don't use the Tesla carpeted mats as they are too much effort to keep clean. I use the all weather floor liners year round as these are very easy to remove for cleaning. I will usually wash the driver's side front floor liner using a hose or power washer every time I wash my Model Y.

You might like the 3D Maxpider floor liners, the Tuxmat floor liner or the Tesla brand rough texture floor mats.

The Model Y still comes with a full set of carpeted floor mats as far as I know. I don't use the Tesla carpeted mats as they are too much effort to keep clean. I use the all weather floor liners year round as these are very easy to remove for cleaning. I will usually wash the driver's side front floor liner using a hose or power washer every time I wash my Model Y.

You might like the 3D Maxpider floor liners, the Tuxmat floor liner or the Tesla brand rough texture floor mats.

The 3DMaxpider mats are superb. First thing I bought for my MY.

I’m in Virginia, too. I have Weathertech in my wife’s car. I bought the 3D Maxpiders for my Y. Just as much protection as the Weathertechs but much lighter and look better. My wife likes the Maxpiders, says they don’t have the “industrial” look of the Weathertechs. When I bought them there were no options available from Tesla, so no comparison.

I’m in Virginia, too. I have Weathertech in my wife’s car. I bought the 3D Maxpiders for my Y. Just as much protection as the Weathertechs but much lighter and look better. My wife likes the Maxpiders, says they don’t have the “industrial” look of the Weathertechs. When I bought them there were no options available from Tesla, so no comparison.
Thanks @laservet - it looks like it's down to the Tuxmat or the Maxpiders. They seem to be very similar with similar pricing. Not sure I like the prominent '3D' logo on the Maxpiders.

same as Maxpiders, no logo, lower price

Tesla Shields | Tesla Model 3 Floormats

Cool. What do we know about this website? What I've experienced:
  • Is this the Chinese Manufacturer for MaxPider?
  • I can't get the website to display properly--I've tried three browsers. Any advice?
  • When it does display, I do not see choices for just the front mats, or for mat sets for the Model X 5-seater specifically. So choices are limited, right?
  • Have you or anyone ordered from these folks? How'd it go?
Good discovery, though.

I am personally of the opinion that OEM carpeted mats just look better.

I got OEM 3-d molded mats as a freebie on my last Mercedes, but two-and-a-half years later they’re still in their packaging because they look like... all-weather mats.

I use OEM carpeted and if they somehow got too difficult to clean I’d pitch them and buy new ones for the tiny price they charge.

It’s by the same logic that nobody uses protectors on their sofas... They’d look weird. If your sofa wears out then it’s time for a replacement. Just switch and move on.

Some of the differences between brands of molded all weather floor liners include how high the sides of the liner go to contain snow, slush and water. Tesla modified the design of the front seat risers, some of the floor liners go straight across at the back edge of the liner. Other front seat liners have a lip that extends a bit deeper under the front seat between the seat risers. Since the Tesla redesign of the front seat risers some of the front seat floor liners don't extend all of the way under the now slightly recessed front edge of the seat risers, perhaps 3/4" to 1" short of the front edge of the riser.

For the hatch area liner some of the liners allow cargo to easily slide around, other hatch liners are textured and this can help hold cargo from sliding. Some of the hatch area liners are designed with a crease to fold to allow easy access to the lower rear cargo bin. Some other liners have no crease but fold easily enough to facilitate access to the lower storage bin.

Some of the brands display a very visible brand logo on the floor liner. Other brands have no visible logo.

Tesla
WeatherTech
3DMaxpider
Tesmanian
Abstract Ocean
LDCRS
Evannex
Tuxmat

Which one seems to be the best one out of these?

Which one seems to be the best one out of these?
It comes down to your personal preference for brand, appearance, customer service, reviews and price. The floor liners are intended for winter when you and your passengers will inevitably bring snow, slush, salt and worse into the vehicle on shoes and boots.

I use the floor liners all year round because they make it easy to clean the floor of the Model Y. In the past I have had issues with rubber floor mats, not molded plastic, develop tears and cracks that I don't notice at first. The cracks allow water to get under the mat and into the carpet. Soon mold starts to grow and that can be a big hassle to eliminate.

Since you asked, my personal choice for floor liners and other accessories for my Model Y has been Tesmanian. I like the clean design of the Tesmanian floor liners, hatch floor liner. I also have the Tesmanian trunk organizer and appreciate the extra 15% to 20% capacity it provides versus other organizers. I especially appreciated that with every order Tesmanian would update me on the status of my order, always shipped promptly. Also, Tesmanian frequently offers promotional discounts on their product line.

Everyone will have there own opinion and mine is Tuxmat, no comparison to the others if you are looking for absolute winter protection and great looks. That being said I have had Weathertechs, 3d Maxpiders and quite a few others over the years.

Bottom line is there seems to be 3 out there. Weathertech, max 3d Maxpider and Tuxmat that are worth considering. Most others are based on copies of 3D Maxpider, with or without logos and are good candidates also. The official Tesla winters seem to be made of a similar material as Weathertech. Tuxmat however seems to be on it's own when it comes to material and coverage which far surpasses all the others IMHO.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Everyone will have there own opinion and mine is Tuxmat, no comparison to the others if you are looking for absolute winter protection and great looks. That being said I have had Weathertechs, 3d Maxpiders and quite a few others over the years.

Bottom line is there seems to be 3 out there. Weathertech, max 3d Maxpider and Tuxmat that are worth considering. Most others are based on copies of 3D Maxpider, with or without logos and are good candidates also. The official Tesla winters seem to be made of a similar material as Weathertech. Tuxmat however seems to be on it's own when it comes to material and coverage which far surpasses all the others IMHO.

Does the Tuxmat have a lateral lip on the left side of the driver's left foot rest? That is the only lip missing on the Maxpiders, it allows the wet left side of my left shoe sole to touch the carpet. Big lip everywhere else.