Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for everyday use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a Tesla M3 or MY. I just test drove the M3 and will schedule to test drive the MY next week.

Question for you... do you use your tesla for everyday use? Going to store, post office, work, pickup your kids from school, trips, etc. ?

If you go to the supermarket let's say Walmart, do you worry where to park?, is it safe to park your tesla anywhere as the same as you did it with your old ICE vehicle... I imagine myself in my tesla and I really have these worries and questions....

Dude (or Dudette), it’s just a car. Drive it and love it. Why would anyone buy a normal consumer car they’re not going to drive every day? It’s not a Bugatti.

But seriously, yes, it’s a daily driver for every use and every destination. No one cares about my car in the parking lot; they’re too busy with their own lives. Ever notice how you never see, say, Volkswagen Jettas on the road until you actually own one? Then they’re all over the place! It’s the same for everyone else. The only people who see you are other Tesla drivers!

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by safe. If you mean people damaging your vehicle by opening their doors and so on - that's the same as any other vehicle. I parked my old car ('04 Civic) way out in the boonies too, just because I loved that car and couldn't stand the thought of some idiot hitting it. Didn't stop the feral shopping cart that one time though.

If you mean standing out, making theft more likely - you would know better than me. I live in an upscale area. Teslas are everywhere. Probably can't go five minutes without seeing one. And no one steals cars anymore. They just walk around looking for valuables left on the seats and put their arm through the window to pick those up. So don't leave valuables in sight and you're good.

If you mean vandalism, again, you would know better than anyone here would. I've never even thought about it. If someone's having a bad day and takes it out on my car, I guess I won't be too surprised, but I don't think they would target my car specifically. Like being struck by lightning or something. Not something I think about on a daily basis.

And yes, my Model Y is my only car. I get groceries, takeout, fertilizer, drive down the street and across the country. Like all things, it quickly becomes mundane.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a Tesla M3 or MY. I just test drove the M3 and will schedule to test drive the MY next week.

Question for you... do you use your tesla for everyday use? Going to store, post office, work, pickup your kids from school, trips, etc. ?

If you go to the supermarket let's say Walmart, do you worry where to park?, is it safe to park your tesla anywhere as the same as you did it with your old ICE vehicle... I imagine myself in my tesla and I really have these worries and questions....
I dont know where you live. In some places, teslas might seem "special", but in most places, they are not. They are just regular cars. Its not a porsche 911 or something, where there would be a real question about "can you daily drive this vehicle?

Teslas (all current ones) are basically performance 4 door sedans. Of course you can daily drive any 4 door sedan, but its not a maserati or something. Where I am (southern california) these cars are so common they are not special in the slightest.

In some other places, owning one of these vehicles might "brand" you a certain way, which is silly, but we have to acknowledge that "that is a thing" in some places.

My model 3 has been my main daily driving car for 2.5 years now, and there has been no issues, none in the slightest.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
As with any new vehicle you tend to want to park so that the vehicle is protected from people carelessly opening vehicle doors and leaving a mark, possibly a dent in the side of your new car. I don't think that the Tesla Model Y stands out in a sea of crossover vehicles and SUVs. The Model Y is wider, taller and longer than the Model 3, so parking the Model Y well definitely has a learning curve. There is no 360 degree camera view unfortunately. Also lacking is blind spot radar with cross traffic alert. You have to use your backup camera swivel your head to check both ways when reversing out of a parking space.

As far as security the Tesla Model Y has a vehicle alarm. The Tesla Model Y also has Sentry Mode that will record the views of (4) of the Model Y cameras, save this to a USB storage device for later review if there is a Sentry Mode event.

The rear door windows and rear hatch glass is tinted to ~15% but you can still see into the back of the vehicle under some conditions. You can add an aftermarket cargo cover that shields the view of any items you store behind the second row seats for around $150.

As far as every day use; the Tesla Model Y is the only vehicle I currently own so it has to be my every day vehicle. The only time I won't drive my Model Y is during the winter months when there is snow, sleet or ice conditions on the road. The OE All-Season Tires that come on the 19" and 20" wheels are not very good for driving in snow, ice etc. Where I live I can just I choose to leave my Model Y parked in my garage on the few days each winter when the roads are bad. Also, even if my Model Y was equipped with tires that are much better for winter driving I don't want to get in an accident, hit by another vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your comments...

I live in northern California, tesla vehicles are getting more popular... my coworkers have been starting getting these beautiful cars.... I live in a nice new developed area, in my street there is a neighbor with a Tesla and 3 more around my street... I really love the Tesla cars. I have a SUV and was planning to replace it with a better one a Lexus 350, but now I'm really thinking to replace it with a Tesla M3 or MY. The best of all I was able to convince my wife, after I test drove the M3 with her, she fell in love of the car, so I'm in a very good place to get the tesla...ha ha ha

Maybe it's me, but when I see a Tesla I say WOW.... that's why I wanted your opinion on how are your daily life with these beautiful cars... parking in streets, in parking lots when you go to Walmart, Target, Lowe's etc...

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your comments...

I live in northern California, tesla vehicles are getting more popular... my coworkers have been starting getting these beautiful cars.... I live in a nice new developed area, in my street there is a neighbor with a Tesla and 3 more around my street... I really love the Tesla cars. I have a SUV and was planning to replace it with a better one a Lexus 350, but now I'm really thinking to replace it with a Tesla M3 or MY. The best of all I was able to convince my wife, after I test drove the M3 with her, she fell in love of the car, so I'm in a very good place to get the tesla...ha ha ha

Maybe it's me, but when I see a Tesla I say WOW.... that's why I wanted your opinion on how are your daily life with these beautiful cars... parking in streets, in parking lots when you go to Walmart, Target, Lowe's etc...
I live in Nor Cal, too. It’s perfect. And if you’re closer to The City, they’re everywhere and most people I know drive theirs everyday.

Upvote 0
If it is just you and your wife, maybe a dog get the Model 3. The Model Y is great but you can do almost everything with the 3 that you can with the Y. (There is no factory tow hitch in the US for the Model 3.) If your knees and back don't protest when you get into the Model 3 then you're in the right Tesla.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You sound like me back in the 90's when I got my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 :) I was honestly concerned if it would be "weird" to take a car that expensive through a McDonalds drive through :D After about a month I started treating it like a normal car for the most part. You will do the same if you get a Tesla.

My question for you, have you worked out an adequate charging solution for your "average" usage? Had a guy on the Bolt forums who purchased a Bolt EV while living in a 3rd floor apartment with no charging available, nearest L2 charger was a mile away... I don't like seeing anyone make that kind of mistake.

Keith

Reactions: Ormond
Upvote 0
If it is just you and your wife, maybe a dog get the Model 3. The Model Y is great but you can do almost everything with the 3 that you can with the Y. (There is no factory tow hitch in the US for the Model 3.) If your knees and back don't protest when you get into the Model 3 then you're in the right Tesla.

Depends on if you do lawn projects :) Not sure how suited the Model 3 is to this.

Stone.jpg
Squat.jpg

Thirty bags of stone for some landscaping put a bit of a squat on the back of the MYP :D

Keith

Upvote 0
It looks like you overloaded the rear load floor of the Model Y. Page 180 of the Tesla Model Y Owner's manual states:

The cargo weight should be distributed between the front and rear trunks.

CAUTION: Do not exceed the maximum front trunk load weight of 55 lbs (25 kg)

CAUTION: Never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130 kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage.

Upvote 0
Honestly, this would be the same with any car deemed "expensive". BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Tesla are usually targeted (even though most of these are not always as expensive as people think), if someone is out to harm someone else's vehicle, they will, not much is going to change that. One positive with Tesla is, you have a better chance of catching someone being an ass with sentry mode.

Upvote 0
It looks like you overloaded the rear load floor of the Model Y. Page 180 of the Tesla Model Y Owner's manual states:

The cargo weight should be distributed between the front and rear trunks.

CAUTION: Do not exceed the maximum front trunk load weight of 55 lbs (25 kg)

CAUTION: Never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130 kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage.

Ahhh young grasshopper. IF you first put bags of stone in the lower trunk they support the lid preventing it from being damaged :)

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: MrF06 and Gumball
Upvote 0
It does not matter; if each bag of limestone rock weighs 40 lbs (could be more), then carrying more than 3 bags of rock at one time would exceed the rating of the rear load floor.

The weight of the cargo in the lower compartment should not exceed 285 lbs (Due to space inside the lower compartment this limit might be hard to exceed unless you were carrying gold bars.)

The front storage bin can carry only 1 bag of rock before exceeding the load limit for the front bin.

Upvote 0