Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla for everyday use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a Tesla M3 or MY. I just test drove the M3 and will schedule to test drive the MY next week.

Question for you... do you use your tesla for everyday use? Going to store, post office, work, pickup your kids from school, trips, etc. ?

If you go to the supermarket let's say Walmart, do you worry where to park?, is it safe to park your tesla anywhere as the same as you did it with your old ICE vehicle... I imagine myself in my tesla and I really have these worries and questions....

Lot's of comments here....
I'll chime in as well.
We test drove the M3 a couple years ago and decided it was too low to the ground for our road conditions.
After the MY came out - it was more to our liking. Higher ground clearance and easier to get in and out of and better rear headroom and legroom.
It is pretty much our daily driver now.
We have a 2019 Rav4 hybrid and have only put Gasoline in it twice in the last 4 months. Nice not having to deal with the rising cost of fuel (not that the Rav4 was hard on gas.)

Reactions: Ormond and Gadget63
Upvote 0
We have had a Model 3 for three years now. It was our everyday car. Now it seems the Model Y is both our long distance (multi state) driving car and our everyday car. I think I need to add the performance update to the Model Y to make it a more similar driving car as the Model 3.

Now the Model 3 is called ”the fast car” and the Model Y is the “regular” car. It should be interesting to see if we return to their names.

If/When FSD works with the Tesla Network, I’ll let my family and friends use the Model 3.

Upvote 0
Welcome to TMC. This is a great place to talk about Teslas when you're not in one driving. The Model Y will be that go to car period. It's the go to Tesla in my family. My wife Karen loves her 2018 Model X but when she ask me what car I want to take somewhere, it's quickly mention, never mind. The X is a diva car but for something fun to drive I love taken the Y. The question is not should you get the tesla, but what color and a P or LR. As far as parking in any parking lot, Tesla is the best car that has a great 360 dash cam. It has came in handy for many people, no matter where you park. For Walmart, I'd recommend curb pickup and for any other Walmart shopping, just do it on line and it shows up at your home.
You didn't mention home charging so I'm just going to say this. Plan now for two tesla vehicles in the household. Yes, that's right. It's not a matter of if but when you will own two. Set up your charging for two now or at lease plan for it.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your comments...

I live in northern California, tesla vehicles are getting more popular... my coworkers have been starting getting these beautiful cars.... I live in a nice new developed area, in my street there is a neighbor with a Tesla and 3 more around my street... I really love the Tesla cars. I have a SUV and was planning to replace it with a better one a Lexus 350, but now I'm really thinking to replace it with a Tesla M3 or MY. The best of all I was able to convince my wife, after I test drove the M3 with her, she fell in love of the car, so I'm in a very good place to get the tesla...ha ha ha

Maybe it's me, but when I see a Tesla I say WOW.... that's why I wanted your opinion on how are your daily life with these beautiful cars... parking in streets, in parking lots when you go to Walmart, Target, Lowe's etc...

In northern california, teslas arent "getting more popular". That is likely the number 1 installed base for tesla, and they are common enough there that its no different than buying a toyota camry, or a honda accord. You might actually see more new tesla model 3+Ys than those, in fact.

Upvote 0
I know this is off topic, but the critics are correct.

My rear wheels exploded, my trunk bin fell off, and the load floor in the rear is broken in 10 places. I should have listened to you all and treated my SUV / Crossover like a fragile flower. I suspect the car is totaled.

Woe is me!

Keith

PS: Only forum I have ever encountered where load ratings of wheels is a serious topic of discussion.

Upvote 0

My rear wheels exploded, my trunk bin fell off, and the load floor in the rear is broken in 10 places. I should have listened to you all and treated my SUV / Crossover like a fragile flower. I suspect the car is totaled.

Woe is me!

Keith

PS: Only forum I have ever encountered where load ratings of wheels is a serious topic of discussion.
You should see the mud flap thread that refuses to die. 😆

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a Tesla M3 or MY. I just test drove the M3 and will schedule to test drive the MY next week.

Question for you... do you use your tesla for everyday use? Going to store, post office, work, pickup your kids from school, trips, etc. ?

If you go to the supermarket let's say Walmart, do you worry where to park?, is it safe to park your tesla anywhere as the same as you did it with your old ICE vehicle... I imagine myself in my tesla and I really have these worries and questions....
We both drive it daily, my wife grabs it over her LEXUS WHEN SHE CAN....

Upvote 0
You sound like me back in the 90's when I got my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 :) I was honestly concerned if it would be "weird" to take a car that expensive through a McDonalds drive through :D After about a month I started treating it like a normal car for the most part. You will do the same if you get a Tesla.

My question for you, have you worked out an adequate charging solution for your "average" usage? Had a guy on the Bolt forums who purchased a Bolt EV while living in a 3rd floor apartment with no charging available, nearest L2 charger was a mile away... I don't like seeing anyone make that kind of mistake.

Keith
Yes.... I have house with a garage and I can get an electrician to install a 240V outlet in my garage,, there are EV charging stations at my work and also a charging station about 1/4 mile from my house... so no charging issues with charging

Reactions: mrau and Fourdoor
Upvote 0
... my wife and I stopped by a Starbucks this morning to get coffees and we saw 3 Tesla cars in the parking lot... so it looks like it's me who worry too much... probably I didn't pay too much attention before but.... I'm for a Tesla ... decision has been made... thank you to everyone who provided comments...

Upvote 0
Hi,

Good grief, its as safe as an ICE car, why would it not be? I use my M3 for all my driving, local and long distance, with no trouble at all. I suppose there are a few spots in the country where crazies thinks an EV is somehow bad or anti-american (for who knows what absurd reasons), but there isn’t much you can do about that.

Upvote 0

Woe is me!

Keith

Wait. Are you serious?

Upvote 0