Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Free super Charging changed to pay per use without notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought tesla model X on September 30, 2018 and was told that i will have free life time super charging. This month for some reason tesla started charging me for super charging. When I tried to reach referral team they stated that the reason is my car is noted as purchased on October 5, 2018 and not before October 1, 2018 and therefore does not qualify for life time super charging as the deal is only through September 30, 2018. Then i sent them proof with cashed bank check along with temporary registration card showing sale as September 30, 2018. But the referral team said they cant do anything as the data is recorded in their system as October 5, 2018 and told me to reach out to the dealer where i bought the car in Virginia. I then reached out to the manager at tesla dealership off Tyco road in Virginia to see if he can help. He stated that the data has no bearing on free super charging and tesla has taken out supercharging for everyone in Virginia irrespective of the date of purchase which is contrary to what the referral agent reasoned. Then, I tried to reach customer service via email and addressed to executive to help me with this problem. I received no reply from anyone. I also tried to reach someone at Tesla through the sales chat online and was able to get an agent who took my information and promised to pass on to the correct official. But I have not heard from anyone. This is really frustrating that tesla has pretty much left their customer who paid 120K+ for a car in the ditch and does not care. Anyone who can help me with this issue on how to reach Tesla Executive is greatly appreciated.

attached are what the sales agent sent to referral team:
upload_2019-10-26_0-52-25.png

The referral team replies that the data they have is different.
upload_2019-10-26_0-53-43.png

Here is the proof that i bought it on September 30, 2018.
upload_2019-10-26_0-54-15.jpeg

Well I can tell you that Sept 30, 2018 was a Sunday so your registration was not recorded by the DMV on that day because they are closed. Likely it was not actually registered until they opened the following Monday, which is after the deadline. For the same reason, your check was not deposited nor did it clear on a Sunday. You said you have proof that your check was cashed on a Sunday? Seems unlikely.

Just a guess as to what the issue is. It would suck if that was the reason, but legal transactions involving banks and the DMV don't actually officially happen on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you that Sept 30, 2018 was a Sunday so your registration was not recorded by the DMV on that day because they are closed. Likely it was not actually registered until they opened the following Monday, which is after the deadline. For the same reason, your check was not deposited nor did it clear on a Sunday. You said you have proof that your check was cashed on a Sunday? Seems unlikely.

Just a guess as to what the issue is. It would suck if that was the reason, but legal transactions involving banks and the DMV don't actually officially happen on a Sunday.
No check is cashed on october 2, 2018. But the temporary registration was given on September 30, 2018 as date of sale. Also, I had free super charging for over year and they took it out just two weeks ago.

No check is cashed on october 2, 2018. But the temporary registration was given on September 30, 2018 as date of sale. Also, I had free super charging for over year and they took it out just two weeks ago.
I understand what you are saying, but recognize that actual registration of your vehicle did not take place on that Sunday. It's just a date a tesla employee with a sharpie wrote on a piece of paper. In reality you probably got away with a free year of supercharging. That's the glass half full view. Also keep in mind I could be wrong.

I understand what you are saying, but recognize that actual registration of your vehicle did not take place on that Sunday. It's just a date a tesla employee with a sharpie wrote on a piece of paper. In reality you probably got away with a free year of supercharging. That's the glass half full view. Also keep in mind I could be wrong.

No, not at all. Registration date != purchase date. I'm pretty sure all of those offers were for people who took delivery before a given date. The date on which the DMV processes the paperwork is immaterial, as is the date the bank processed the check. The only thing that matters is when the paperwork was completed and signed.

The cynic in me say that the right way to get this fixed would be to use the supercharger as often as possible, and issue a chargeback with your credit card company every time they bill you. Provide the credit card company with proof of eligibility as evidence that the charges are fraudulent. There's pretty much no chance that they'll reach Tesla to get someone to prove that the charges aren't fraudulent, so the CC company will likely reverse the charge automatically for lack of a response.

If a few hundred people issue even a single-digit number of chargebacks each in your state, Tesla's merchant account provider will flag them as a bad customer and will crank their credit card processing fees through the roof. At that point, suddenly a C-level executive will care enough to straighten out the problem.

how do i open the ticket? the sales person moved to Nevada. he tried to tell the sales person if could help. Then the sales rep tried to explain to referral team. But referral team replied back with the above email stating that i dont qualiy because their records show i purchased later.

So the sales rep you are talking about is any sales rep in the local tesla dealership or the sales rep who sold me? Also, how do I open a ticket to fix the date of purchase? Can i do that from Tesla App or Do I need to go to tesla dealership and ask them personally?

Thank you guys for you advice in advance!!

Lawyer up everybody, too much is being changed from original contracts and Papers. Also, try to get it on emails, they r evidence in court.
I've saved every email.
[email protected] was taken down this week. For that reason. Emails are evidence in court.
This is not looking good for KARMA. corporate greed is setting in. If u wreak your car good luck. Body shops are waiting very long times for parts, like 6 months. Pray its totalled and u get another one. Oh , I pay for 25k add on for total estimate in case estimate is low balled.

Go into your Tesla Phone App and 'Schedule Service'. Select 'Other'. Explain the issue. Attach a copy of your original Order Agreement dated on or before September 18th, 2018 (I think this was the official end date of the FUSC program). If you don't have your order agreement you can find it by logging into your Tesla Account. Also, include your referrer. If you provide all of that and clearly explain your issue I don't believe there will be an issue. If your order agreement is after September 18th I think you might be SOL.