TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Fremont factory work schedule

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Soarteeth, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Soarteeth

Soarteeth Member

#1 Soarteeth, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    How many shifts and how many days of the week do they work at the factory? I can't seem to get an answer from any of the DS personnel that I talk to.

If they're running at 500 cars a week is that the max without adding another shift or expanding the factory

2. jmara

jmara Member

I believe that their production capacity at the factory is constrained by battery supply. I also seem to recall reading that they can get more efficient at building the cars in the current labor/factory size.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Park outside the factory and watch!

4. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Last time I've heard they were running two shifts on stamping and general assembly lines. Could be more on capital intensive equipment.

Technically they could run up to 4 shifts a week, which is not unusual for highly automated low margin industries(not that auto one fit both criteria). So they could ~double plant output if they would be able to hire enouph people and supply chain could keep up. And last time I heard they were making 570 cars a week, not 500.

5. eepic

eepic Member

This. Discussed this in the Q3 earnings conference call. Both Q2 and Q3 earnings calls Elon stated they'll resolve the short term battery constraints by probably Q2 2014, when MS production will really ramp up.

6. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I was on a factory tour last week. They are working two shifts and producing 550 cars per day as of the end of last week.

7. Lump

Lump Active Member

Its probably 550 per week, not per day :wink:

8. Soarteeth

Soarteeth Member

5, 6 or 7 days a week?

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Most recent reports let me conclude 5 days a week. Factory visitors that toured the site on a Saturday reported maintenance work, but no vehicle production activities.