Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla friendly campgrounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kinda wonder if that might be he doesn't want to deal with a pissed off RV owner yelling at him that a "car" is taking up a spot that was designed for an "RV" if someone showed up after you and the site was busy...

You have a point there. Could be. I was the only car in a sea of huge RVs. I think the one-off, small, family owned sites are the way to go. This one was a major RV place...kids running all over, pool, lots of facilities. Where we wound up felt more like camping.

Thank you all for sharing links to potential help here. Unfortunately I still have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone knows of a good spot in the tri-state area, where I can bring my Tesla, sleep in it with my family, have a camp fire near the car and super duper bonus points bring our little puppy, that would be a huge help. This is way more difficult to figure out than I imagined.
You lost me at sleep in it with your family. Tesla camping is a 2 adult or 1 adult and 1-2 kids sort of activity I'd say. No way there is enough room to comfortable sleep the whole family. You just need to do regular camping. Take a tent.

You lost me at sleep in it with your family. Tesla camping is a 2 adult or 1 adult and 1-2 kids sort of activity I'd say. No way there is enough room to comfortable sleep the whole family. You just need to do regular camping. Take a tent.
I would buy one of those tent things I could hook up to back of the Y and then my kids can slum it on the ground

I have to explain all the time that my MY really does not take gas or have any ice engine at all.

I’ve lost count of the number of times, since 2014, that I’ve come across people who can’t believe there is no gasoline engine. Their arguments range from “there is a gasoline engine, you just don’t know it” to “there’s no way an electric motor could push that car”. o_O

I would buy one of those tent things I could hook up to back of the Y and then my kids can slum it on the ground
Still though if you plan on staying local I don't think you really need to worry about a camp ground with electric hookups. You could just go to a normal campground. Only if it's a distance so far you would need to worry about recharging to get home or running down too much with camp mode (which I don't think I'd try with one of those tents honestly, would like put a lot of stress on the HVAC system since it was not designed for that space and it would be uninsulated) would you need electrical hookups.

Quick story...last August, the missus and I decided to take a weekend and go "camping" in the Model Y. We got the mattress set up, the 14-50 and TT-30 adapters, and hit the road. We booked a campground. When we showed up, the guy at the RV place said we couldn't stay there, due to "liability" concerns about camping in the vehicle, as opposed to a camper, due to "emissions" and the fact that we could die from CO inhalation. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told him, yes, we're staying in our vehicle, but it's a Tesla..all-electric, and emission-free. He just wouldn't hear me out, and insisted they were liable if we died. Bizzare. All that said, we called around and found another campground where the owner was happy to have us, with electric hookups. Solved. And the one we went to was far better, quieter, and easier to stay in. Their loss. Moral of the story...if you decide to camp in your Tesla, recommend calling ahead and explaining what you plan to do, to avoid the headaches I had upon showing up.
The Military RV campsites have the same mentality. They will not let you camp in your Tesla.

When using plugshare, you can enable its "NEMA 14-50" plug filter. This will then show a lot of "50 amp" RV campsites where folks have charged, and reviews of them. By likewise enabling the "Wall" filter, some of the smaller sites that only offer "30 amp" (TT-30) or the common "15 amp" 5-15 and "20 amp" 5-20 receptacles.

Reactions: BeckMoo
Quick story...last August, the missus and I decided to take a weekend and go "camping" in the Model Y. We got the mattress set up, the 14-50 and TT-30 adapters, and hit the road. We booked a campground. When we showed up, the guy at the RV place said we couldn't stay there, due to "liability" concerns about camping in the vehicle, as opposed to a camper, due to "emissions" and the fact that we could die from CO inhalation. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told him, yes, we're staying in our vehicle, but it's a Tesla..all-electric, and emission-free. He just wouldn't hear me out, and insisted they were liable if we died. Bizzare. All that said, we called around and found another campground where the owner was happy to have us, with electric hookups. Solved. And the one we went to was far better, quieter, and easier to stay in. Their loss. Moral of the story...if you decide to camp in your Tesla, recommend calling ahead and explaining what you plan to do, to avoid the headaches I had upon showing up.
which campground did you settle for.. the second one?