Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla friendly MOT centre near Buckingham/MK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service centres don't do MOT's - may have changed but Park Royal didn't this time last year when I needed my X MOT'ing.

Went through a few places locally (Bedford area) who said they didn't have a lift big enough to do the X - even booked into one place who assured me it was fine and then when I turned up they took one look at it and said they couldn't do it.

Ended up using the In'n'Out place over by the A421 BP roundabout in Kingston - they were great, straight through and no messing about.

I don't think they see many Teslas as they needed a bit of guidance on door function with the X.

Taking mine back later this month for it's second MOT, not going to mess around trying to find another place again.

Thanks,

Phil

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
My Model X now needs its first MOT. Can anyone recommend an MOT centre in the area who is familiar with Teslas? The rock apes in our nearest garage honestly wouldn't have a clue. It would be like asking them to MOT an alien spaceship!

I used National Tyres* for mine which is a MS.

I did lend them my jack pads and stressed they should be used, which they did. They pointed out that although mine was the first Tesla they had MOT'd, they showed me the two pages of notes they have been supplied in readiness, confirming the specific points relevant to Teslas and other EVs.

*(Can book MOT online for £29)

• Informative
What am I missing. Why does a Tesla need an MOT?

Obviously not for emissions. So what?

Tyre tread and depth, tyre pressures, wheel alignment, functioning brakes.
Windscreen wipers
Vehicle lighting including headlamp alignment (and fogged lenses?)

For an annual "official tick of approval" albeit only "on the day of the test".
You just get 3 years grace for a new car assuming it was put together right in the first place!

What am I missing. Why does a Tesla need an MOT?

Obviously not for emissions. So what?

As per earlier replies ... but including structural integrity e.g. poor repairs of crash damage, rust in structural members etc. An interesting fact is that it is only in the "modern" era of emissions that the engine was part of the MOT at all. You could technically have got an MOT for a car that didn't have an engine! All the safety stuff was non engine related.

You could technically have got an MOT for a car that didn't have an engine! All the safety stuff was non engine related.

I recall a similar concession about the condition or absence of a spare tyre. There is no requirement to have a spare tyre (few cars do now anyway), but if you do carry one it needs to be road legal and should be checked, if present. This point was made to me when I had my Ford Capri* MOT'd back in the day. The tester told me to take my spare wheel out of the boot and put it out of his sight, or else he would fail the MOT as it was worn out. He filled the washer bottle for me too. Garages were helpful back then.

*(Look it up kids - the envy of our street when I had one. Daytona yellow with a vinyl roof. Gutted when it was written off by a muppet in a Land Rover)

Back to the question...

This guy went to Bristow Motors, Mount Farm, MK. It was a while back, so I'm guessing it's routine for them now. Their website has an EV section.

Not sure if that helps, I don't know anywhere personally but the above garage is listed on HEVRA.

• Informative