TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

tesla front camera

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sheldon, Dec 5, 2016.

?

front camera for a 2012 Tesla Model S

1. Tesla has no advice except to trade it in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. not sure about quality of a few aftermarket google searches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sheldon

sheldon New Member

what suggestions for a high quality front end camera for my 2012 Tesla Model S?

2. harry

harry Member

artsci produced a front camera kit which was very professional, but I think he's been out of stock for some time. It was a well thought out and well-integrated kit, but a moderately challenging install. You might find a kit to buy which wasn't installed by the original purchaser.

3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

I have one of @artsci front camera switch kits on my 2012 Sig. Wonderful package, works perfectly (wire from backup lights switches camera automatically to rear/front). Only minor issue is that the front image is mirrored (left-right) because its a "rear" camera. Yes install was challenging but a car nut buddy of mine and I completed it in one afternoon.

I was going to post the install instructions but sadly Rick took it off his dropbox. Wonderful gadget! *thanks artsci*

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I actually have found the front sensors so effective that I decided to not go with a front camera. Over two year of use, I have had two instances where I would have liked to have a front cam to see an odd object that I assumed the sensors could not see. One was a hose bib. I cannot remember the other. Though it would be cool and @artsci's cam is great.