Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Front Center Console- Like/Dislike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017-07-05_15-54-49.jpg

I have one car with it and one without. I really struggle with the design. it seems things always get lost between the brackets, and then you have to disassemble it to find them. It also does not fit many beverage containers. And god forbid you spill something, what a pain in the butt to clean it out. Maybe it is me, but what do you think of the design? Are they any modifications or after market products that make this console easier to use?

It's better than the shallow, floor-level tray of older Models S. It seems like it's smartly designed at first, but once you use it for longer than a week its annoyances arise. don't even have a P vehicles and I still lose stuff out of the under-screen cubby into the no-man's-land under the phone tray when I pound the accelerator. Which is cool, I guess, but also a PITA.

Both my S and X have it and it works really well for us on road trips. I added the RPM lighted drawer to both cars and that's where we keep our sunglasses. There's a lot of room in the consul but small items can be hard to find. The adjustable cup holders really work with the right sized coffee mugs.

I had a demo with the new console. It's a lot better than the older retrofit with the 2 piece sliding panel. But it still seems like an afterthought. There is this strange gap between the underscreen cubby and the top of the console that is the perfect size and position to cleverly hide a cell phone that slides forward.

I expect that this will be dealt with on the next interior refresh, whenever that happens.

Storage overall in the cabin is awful.

I've found women really hate the lack of door pockets and how poorly designed the center console is.

The center armrest cupholders are another source of pain. Cupholders exactly where my forearm rests. Fail.'

I think the thing I dislike the most is the lining of the center console. It's very cheap.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I actually added the center console as an option. I much prefer the vehicle without it, however, if you hate the cupholders in the armrests as much as I do OR if you need to hide things then it's the way to go. I've had the vehicle broken into once and I don't leave anything showing in the car ever now.

I actually added the center console as an option. I much prefer the vehicle without it, however, if you hate the cupholders in the armrests as much as I do OR if you need to hide things then it's the way to go. I've had the vehicle broken into once and I don't leave anything showing in the car ever now.
I agree, that is where my cubby drawer comes in. Hides all that stuff from prying eyes.

Love it. Yes, there are some serious design issues as folks mentioned above, but overall it serves its function by adding two usable front and two rear cupholders, a phone charging compartment, and some additional space for Kleenex box and nicknacks (J1772 adapter, ChargePoint card, headphones, microfiber, etc). Plus it makes my 2.5yo car's interior look and feel just like a brand new Tesla's interior.

I have an older car w/o a console. I think it looks seriously cheap (aka mini-van-esque) w/o a console there. However, I had a loaner with the first gen console and was amazed and what a piece of cr*p that thing is in construction...seriously unimpressed - so much so that I stopped looked for them used on E-bay. I can't bring myself to drop the coin for the second gen console (although I haven't really looked at one closely to see just how much better built it might be), most of the aftermarket options are also less than exciting, and much as I hate to admit it...I've kind of grown accustomed to that big open space and stuff I can put down there (i.e. very handy when bringing home left overs from a restaurant). The best console I've seen on here was the guy who retrofitted a BMW 7 series console in...sweet!

I have an older car w/o a console. I think it looks seriously cheap (aka mini-van-esque) w/o a console there. However, I had a loaner with the first gen console and was amazed and what a piece of cr*p that thing is in construction...seriously unimpressed - so much so that I stopped looked for them used on E-bay. I can't bring myself to drop the coin for the second gen console (although I haven't really looked at one closely to see just how much better built it might be), most of the aftermarket options are also less than exciting, and much as I hate to admit it...I've kind of grown accustomed to that big open space and stuff I can put down there (i.e. very handy when bringing home left overs from a restaurant). The best console I've seen on here was the guy who retrofitted a BMW 7 series console in...sweet!
Link?