Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla front license plate in Iowa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Model 3 sr+ and I’ve been trying to find information about the requirements of the front license plate in Iowa. I found that it is “required” to have it on, however I’ve seen many teslas without the front license plate and I wanted to know if someone here have any additional information that I might be missing, hopefully someone from Iowa.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/2021/321.37.pdf says that "Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than an autocycle, motorcycle,
motorized bicycle, or truck tractor shall be attached to the motor vehicle, one in the front and the other in the rear."

That it is not consistently enforced (like other vehicle laws such as speed limits in most of the US) does not mean that it will never be enforced.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I recently purchased a Model 3 sr+ and I’ve been trying to find information about the requirements of the front license plate in Iowa. I found that it is “required” to have it on, however I’ve seen many teslas without the front license plate and I wanted to know if someone here have any additional information that I might be missing, hopefully someone from Iowa.
Not from IA, but in California, it's been typically said that if a LEOs sees a missing front plate (which is required by CA law), it's a good enough reason to pull you over. Where you're then under inspection for other possible violations, under the discretion of said officer.

In my 50 years of driving, I've been dinged twice for a missing front plate. Both times it was in addition to a (justifiable) speeding ticket.

It sounds like you're a bit younger. If you do operate the car without a front plate, just be aware of what the consequences could be. Some states it's a "fix-it" ticket; something that doesn't cost you any money but can be a small inconvenience since you have to put your plate on, show your vehicle to a qualified person (usually a police officer), get the ticket "signed off" and then submit that proof to the court to have the infraction dismissed. Other places it's a fine and you probably should put the plate on unless you're willing to keep paying the fines.

A quick Google search says in IA, the fine is about $120 (Iowa code 321.37 - Display of plates). Senate bill 419 appears to be still waiting to be signed into law by the Governor which would make a missing front plate a secondary offense; meaning you can't be cited just for a missing plate.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks a lot for the reply, I think I’ll just go ahead and put the front plate on just to avoid any issues and wait for that bill to go into effect. I don’t really mind with or without the plate I was curious due to seeing other teslas without it, but I rather not risk it.