Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla front license plate mount missing lower screw holes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a state that requires front license plates and, worse yet, there is already a Tesla front license plate mount on the bumper so holes have already been drilled, however there are no holes for the lower screws need to keep the license plate flat and safe. I hate license plate frames and I don’t see how those would help, but what am I supposed to do here?

WqFt6dV.jpg

That's normal. If it you think they are missing, they didn't fail to drill them on your, none have them.

You can take a strip of Gorilla double sided tape and put it on the back of your plate before you mount it with the two holes.

I live in a state that requires the front plate too. Have not had one on my Tesla since summer of '13. Took that mount off mine within the first 4 minutes when I got home.

Are you referring to the the lower screws on the mount which hold it to the car, or the lower screws that hold the plate to the mount? Most mounts don’t have four holes for the plate, just look at the back one.

I grew up in NJ, so I know the importance of a front plate there. Cops will get you tomorrow without one.

Nice icon, @Buster1, looks the twin of this one.

I’m referring to the bottom holes to mount the license plate itself. The rear mount has four holes, I was able to screw the plate in no problem.

Ok, I can use gorilla tape to affix the plate but then it will look really strange to have two screws on top and none on the bottom. I wonder how bad it would be to just get some short self-tapping screws and screw into the plastic?

I think the stock Tesla license plate frame for the front is curved a bit to fit that mount and it has tabs on the bottom that drop in before screwing in the top screws.
I'm sure the SC would give you one, or I have one that I could drop in the mail for the price of postage. I removed my front plate bracket. I think it's just chrome with nothing written on it.

I live in California.....when I picked up my new Model S, I asked they not put front plate on.....I was told it is a state requirement.....so, when I got home, I looked and took the screws out and noticed that none of them go into the bumper.....there is a very, very strong black tape on the backside of the frame holding it on.....Took my time and started on side pulling out......went really slow because it was on really good and I did not want to pull paint off.....after about two minutes, the thing started coming off....cleaned bumper off with IPA and now dont have a front plate...I was able to mess with the black tape.... it now has a wave in it now which is good because I can say it fell off and I am waiting for new frame....I keep it in the front trunk just in case.

I live in California.....when I picked up my new Model S, I asked they not put front plate on.....I was told it is a state requirement.....so, when I got home, I looked and took the screws out and noticed that none of them go into the bumper.....there is a very, very strong black tape on the backside of the frame holding it on.....Took my time and started on side pulling out......went really slow because it was on really good and I did not want to pull paint off.....after about two minutes, the thing started coming off....cleaned bumper off with IPA and now dont have a front plate...I was able to mess with the black tape.... it now has a wave in it now which is good because I can say it fell off and I am waiting for new frame....I keep it in the front trunk just in case.

Nice, I was curious to know if those screws left holes in the plastic of the bumper. I'm assuming you have a post-facelift car as shown in the photos in this thread?