TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Frunk mat doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rluciano, Nov 25, 2013.

1. rluciano

rluciano Member

Hi. I just got my car last Thursday. And I went to install my all-weather Tesla mats and got a surprise. The frank mat is too long. I took it to the service center and they checked it on another car that was in for service and it fit perfectly. After checking internal Tesla systems they found that changes had been made. A new frank mat is being designed.

Pretty silly they should have designed the mat at the same time as they made the changes that required a new mat.

Grrr. But I am loving the car.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was going to buy this at the factory tomorrow. I wonder what they changed that reduced the cargo space?

3. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

They shortened the frunk in newer cars? That's news to me! How much shorter is it? My mats fit perfectly. Does the original carpet mat fit properly?

4. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Mine fits fine. Mine is a couple months older than yours. Sorry if that does not help much.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

weird. take some pics of your frunk so we can analyze it and pick apart any changes Tesla keeps making without telling anyone!!

6. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I guess they must have shortened the recessed frunk area? Wonder what they put back there instead of the empty space.

7. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

It might be safer to wait. 5.9 might remove the ability to open the frunk because it might be safer to leave it closed. So you would not get to use the mat anyway. ;)

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Hopefully giving just enough additional space for the front motor to fit :smile: AWD anyone

9. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

That would/will be very cool. I'd order immediately. Same config plus add the AWD. And any other cool bells and whistles that are new.

10. yobigd20

I really want to see pics/measurements of the "new frunk"....

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Unlikely IMO. A front motor would be lower down and make the frunk shallower.

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#14 Gizmotoy, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Interesting... That wasn't there when mine was ordered from the site (I've had it for about a month). Guess its time to see if they'll take it back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be in a spot where I can do a direct comparison tomorrow. My car is one of the new ones and my friend's is of the vintage variety.

15. yobigd20

sweet. bring a tape measure too so if the change is subtle we can still see the difference :)

16. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was at the Fremont service center today picking up some stuff after my tour and this came up. For some reason (unspecified) they needed to relocate the DC-DC converter from its previous location (I think he said front right of the car) to just behind the glove box. This reduced the size of the frunk "considerably." I don't have an older car to compare to so I can't say how big the change really was. He didn't expect an updated frunk mat to be available until January.

17. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

I hope they'll let me trade mine for a new one when it comes out. I plan to ask about that at delivery tomorrow.

18. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

doctrewho, I'm sure they will happily swap it out for you. Glad to see another MS coming to the area! I have yet to see a MC Red around here.

19. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member