Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Frunk mat doesn't fit

rluciano

Sep 25, 2013
Texas
Hi. I just got my car last Thursday. And I went to install my all-weather Tesla mats and got a surprise. The frank mat is too long. I took it to the service center and they checked it on another car that was in for service and it fit perfectly. After checking internal Tesla systems they found that changes had been made. A new frank mat is being designed.

Pretty silly they should have designed the mat at the same time as they made the changes that required a new mat.

Grrr. But I am loving the car.

ken830

Model S 85, Model 3 Performance
Jun 19, 2012
San Carlos, CA
They shortened the frunk in newer cars? That's news to me! How much shorter is it? My mats fit perfectly. Does the original carpet mat fit properly?

MikeC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I guess they must have shortened the recessed frunk area? Wonder what they put back there instead of the empty space.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
It might be safer to wait. 5.9 might remove the ability to open the frunk because it might be safer to leave it closed. So you would not get to use the mat anyway. ;)

doctrewho

Jun 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Interesting... That wasn't there when mine was ordered from the site (I've had it for about a month). Guess its time to see if they'll take it back.

- - - Updated - - -

I really want to see pics/measurements of the "new frunk"....

I'll be in a spot where I can do a direct comparison tomorrow. My car is one of the new ones and my friend's is of the vintage variety.

Gizmotoy

Sep 16, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I was at the Fremont service center today picking up some stuff after my tour and this came up. For some reason (unspecified) they needed to relocate the DC-DC converter from its previous location (I think he said front right of the car) to just behind the glove box. This reduced the size of the frunk "considerably." I don't have an older car to compare to so I can't say how big the change really was. He didn't expect an updated frunk mat to be available until January.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
doctrewho, I'm sure they will happily swap it out for you. Glad to see another MS coming to the area! I have yet to see a MC Red around here.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC