Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD/Autopilot under attack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
A new hit piece has emerged this morning thanks to Reuters "A life and death questions for regulators: Is Tesla's Autopilot safe?"
What really struck me is the complete ignorance of the authors that culminates in this statement:
"Tesla has used Autopilot’s ability to update vehicle software over the air to outpace and sidestep the traditional vehicle-recall process."
Is there anything we can do to promote correct information about the Autopilot/FSD to a broader audience to educate people and resist political agenda? Writing open letters from Tesla clubs maybe? I don't know. I am sick and tired of this never-ending misinformation about Tesla in the press and political circles.

...What really struck me is the complete ignorance of the authors that culminates in this statement:
"Tesla has used Autopilot’s ability to update vehicle software over the air to outpace and sidestep the traditional vehicle-recall process."
The article is behind a paywall so thanks for the quotation.

I see that statement is praise to Tesla over the air technology so that owners don't have to bring their cars in for each software update/software recall. The contrast is covered in the article below as owners of Taycan had to bring their cars in for a software update:

...Is there anything we can do to promote correct information about the Autopilot/FSD to a broader audience to educate people and resist political agenda?...
I see criticisms about Autopilot/FSD as safety concerns rather than political agenda.

NTSB warns that Tesla needs to address the "basic safety issues". Waymo has done that since 2009 with no collisions with big gigantic trucks blocking in front or stationary police patrol cars/fire trucks partially blocking a lane.

Writing open letters from Tesla clubs maybe? I don't know. I am sick and tired of this never-ending misinformation about Tesla in the press and political circles.

Once Tesla has fixed its "basic safety issues" then we can talk about the "political agenda" but until then, it's a basic safety issue.

Waymo has something like 1/10000 of Tesla's fleet.
There is no argument about that!

NTSB's argument is that the technology for collision avoidance has been available (as since 2009 with Waymo with a good track record) so Tesla needs to focus on the implementation of that technology rather than be distracted by another method such as blaming bad drivers who don't know how to use Tesla's technology.

What really struck me is the complete ignorance of the authors that culminates in this statement:

The sentence is a bit clumsy maybe since it is not AP that has the ability to update the software, rather it is Tesla that has the ability to update the AP software. But other than the clumsiness, it is factually true. It is trying to say that Tesla does OTA updates and so does not need to do manual recalls of vehicles to update AP. That is factually true.

NTSB's argument is that the technology for collision avoidance has been available (as since 2009 with Waymo with a good track record) so Tesla needs to focus on the implementation of that technology rather than be distracted by another method such as blaming bad drivers who don't know how to use Tesla's technology.
Why is NTSB not making collision avoidance mandatory on ALL cars ? I'm not joking - it is probably the most significant mandate NTSB can make to save a lot of lives / collisions.

Why is NTSB not making collision avoidance mandatory on ALL cars ? I'm not joking - it is it probably the most significant mandate NTSB can make to save a lot of lives / collisions.
NTSB can't make rules. However the NHTSA has gotten an agreement from automakers to add AEB and FCW to all vehicles by September 2022. Technically not a mandate but it sounds like basically every new car will have it.
Update on progress:
1632246856631.png

NTSB can't make rules. However the NHTSA has gotten an agreement from automakers to add AEB and FCW to all vehicles by September 2022. Technically not a mandate but it sounds like basically every new car will have it.
The problem is all these government agencies act as if they are employed by the industries they regulate - rather than do things to help citizens. The industry will fight tooth and nail about any regulation that can avoid accidents if it costs them a penny a car more.

NTSB's argument is that the technology for collision avoidance has been available

So, why didn't the agencies make it mandatory a long time back ? Could have saved millions of fatalities/injuries.

Reactions: diplomat33
Once Tesla has fixed its "basic safety issues" then we can talk about the "political agenda"
I disagree. Anything Tesla makes the news disproportionally more than the same event with other MFGs. It's bull-sugar.

But my point is, I don't think things have to be worked on in a line. Both safety and politics can (and should) be discussed in parallel.

Reactions: alexgr
The problem is all these government agencies act as if they are employed by the industries they regulate - rather than do things to help citizens. The industry will fight tooth and nail about any regulation that can avoid accidents if it costs them a penny a car more.
FCW and AEB don't really cost anything since they reuse the hardware for TACC and lane keep assist which consumers are already demanding. That's probably how they were able to get the industry to agree to install them on all vehicles.
Automobiles have gotten way safer over the years with many mandates put in place so it's not obvious to me that the industry is holding back progress.

Reactions: gearchruncher
The sentence is a bit clumsy maybe since it is not AP that has the ability to update the software, rather it is Tesla that has the ability to update the AP software. But other than the clumsiness, it is factually true. It is trying to say that Tesla does OTA updates and so does not need to do manual recalls of vehicles to update AP. That is factually true.
That's what you hope they meant, which may or may not be true, but it could mean any number of things we want.

I disagree. Anything Tesla makes the news disproportionally more than the same event with other MFGs. It's bull-sugar.

But my point is, I don't think things have to be worked on in a line. Both safety and politics can (and should) be discussed in parallel.

The disproportionality is because only Tesla is the one that sells, advertises, and claims "Full Self Driving". There's no one else in the market who has ever done that. None! It's a monopoly in "Full Self Driving".

It would be less controversial if Tesla would sell something like "You die if you don't drive system".

The disproportionality is because only Tesla is the one that sells, advertises, and claims "Full Self Driving". There's no one else in the market who has ever done that. None! It's a monopoly in "Full Self Driving".

It would be less controversial if Tesla would sell something like "You die if you don't drive system".
Again, I disagree. See car fires. Teslas vs Bolts.

NTSB warns that Tesla needs to address the "basic safety issues". Waymo has done that since 2009 with no collisions with big gigantic trucks blocking in front or stationary police patrol cars/fire trucks partially blocking a lane.

Once Tesla has fixed its "basic safety issues" then we can talk about the "political agenda" but until then, it's a basic safety issue.
Could you name a couple of those "basic safety issues" that others addressed and Tesla failed to address?

There is no argument about that!

Waymo does not have a perfect safety record and is its technology is VERY limited and expensive. Why do you suggest that Waymo technology is made a de facto standard for the entire automobile industry?