Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I drive manually, I get a pleasant satisfaction and challenge to use regen braking primarily and friction brakes only if absolutely necessary. In fact, when I do use friction brakes, I am annoyed. Aim is to never have to replace the brake pads. FSD uses friction brakes often, very frustrating. It would be nice to see a running safety score for autopilot.
Not only does it use friction brakes but it abuses them, when driving manually I’m able to stop 99% of the time with just regen. If anyone wants to see what FSD feels like using the friction brakes, and you don’t have FSD, go driving around and use your left foot to brake.

Thanks. Looks like OSM has `lanes=4` for that 2-way section of Gemini next to Burger King but does not indicate how many lanes are for each direction, so it's quite possible that FSD Beta conservatively assumes there's only 1 lane. Way: ‪Gemini Place‬ (‪751581206‬) | OpenStreetMap More to the east closer to I71, some map data does draw the road as 2 separate 1-way segments, so maybe FSD Beta does not get confused about how many lanes are available for that direction of travel.

View attachment 739148

To be clear, does the on screen message say to "follow route" or "faster lane" when switching from the right lane to the left?
Okay @Mardak, I have driven this route in both directions over the weekend. There is definitely something going on with the navigation on Gemini Parkway. Both directions the car is insistent it needs lane changes.

The originally discussed route, driving west, involved a move from the right lane to the left lane (of a 5 lane road with right-side turning lanes) when a right turn was required within less than a mile. Also driving east on the same road with a left hand turn in the navigation 2 miles ahead, the car insisted on moving from the left lane, to the right lane. I literally canceled 4 lane changes in less than a mile. By the time the fifth lane change notification came up, I let it have it's way.

In both cases the screen said it was "following route," not "faster lane." I'm sure there will be improvements in future releases, but unnecessary lane changes are pretty annoying.

Not only does it use friction brakes but it abuses them, when driving manually I’m able to stop 99% of the time with just regen. If anyone wants to see what FSD feels like using the friction brakes, and you don’t have FSD, go driving around and use your left foot to brake.
It would not be a stretch to say that my car has used the brakes more with FSD Beta in the last 6 weeks, than I have in more than a year and a half. Of course I don't want to die, so use the brakes when you need to.

But plenty of times it does not need to. My passengers don't like the whole, "increase speed even though there are cars stopped at a red light 100 feet away, then slam on the brakes when you get close!"

Looks like OSM has `lanes=4` for that 2-way section of Gemini next to Burger King but does not indicate how many lanes are for each direction, so it's quite possible that FSD Beta conservatively assumes there's only 1 lane. Way: ‪Gemini Place‬ (‪751581206‬) | OpenStreetMap More to the east closer to I71, some map data does draw the road as 2 separate 1-way segments, so maybe FSD Beta does not get confused about how many lanes are available for that direction of travel.
Is there an example where we can say Tesla is using OSM for navigation rather than TomTom ? Atleast near my home it seems to be using only TomTom.

Unfortunately in TomTom we can't see how many lanes are marked so that we can make corrections.

May be we should get a TomTom GPS unit for that ...

In both cases the screen said it was "following route," not "faster lane." I'm sure there will be improvements in future releases, but unnecessary lane changes are pretty annoying.
Well, if its a mapping issue, unless the map is corrected, there won't be any improvements. Keep sending those reports, may be they will correct the map.

Reactions: Dutchy Ron
Thanks for checking. If you want to test out other potentially problematic unnecessary lane changes, it looks like there's several other roads nearby that have OSM `lanes` without indicating how many lanes in each direction that might also confuse FSD Beta in assuming there's only 1 lane:
many lanes.png

way[lanes~'[3456]'][oneway!='yes'][!'lanes:backward'][!'lanes:forward']

I would hope that Tesla figures out a way to generally address this without needing whatever source lanes data to be fixed.

• Love
Reactions: Massive Attack
Thanks for checking. If you want to test out other potentially problematic unnecessary lane changes, it looks like there's several other roads nearby that have OSM `lanes` without indicating how many lanes in each direction that might also confuse FSD Beta in assuming there's only 1 lane:View attachment 741305

way[lanes~'[3456]'][oneway!='yes'][!'lanes:backward'][!'lanes:forward']

I would hope that Tesla figures out a way to generally address this without needing whatever source lanes data to be fixed.
I did some testing on a few of the roads you highlighted. On US 23, the performance is excellent. South of the I-270 outer belt, but north of the area marked as Clintonville, there is 1/2 mile section with several "lane ends, merge right/left" and multiple speed limit changes. I didn't have a single disengagement.

Cleveland Avenue has several odd issues where the car misses turns. So some work is needed there with the mapping.

I always have to disengage on I-71 near the I-270 outer belt merge, because the car always wants to change lanes into the merge lane.