Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting for FSD Beta10.5 as of Wednesday morning 11-24-21. I entered program with a 99 score on 10.3 (A 99 because I had to hit the brakes hard when some idiot in a junk car pulled out in front of me from a side street the first day I had the safety score watching over me). I guess checking for software updates multiple times a day does not make it happen!

I posted earlier about how much better 10.5 was on rural roads with no speed limit signs. Today I'll have to take that back since my latest drive was pretty bad. Much phantom braking over the same road that was fine the other day. And one instance of the car swerving into the oncoming lane at the crest of a hill -- worst time for that move, as is stated in the release notes. Inconsistent for me is how I would classify 10.5. I'll turn it back on the next time I'm feeling frisky.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigma4Life
I'm still waiting for FSD Beta10.5 as of Wednesday morning 11-24-21. I entered program with a 99 score on 10.3 (A 99 because I had to hit the brakes hard when some idiot in a junk car pulled out in front of me from a side street the first day I had the safety score watching over me). I guess checking for software updates multiple times a day does not make it happen!

Same here. 99 Score over the last 7 days with 1000+ miles logged. Just waiting :(

It is for that reason that I typically will not use it if someone is too close behind me. But I just did a 300+ mile drive to the OBX and I experienced only 3 or 4 phantom braking events, and only of about 5-10 mph. Not great, but they were also fairly gradual. Nothing sudden. I had to turn it off on route 158 in NC because it kept trying to get into the left (fast) lane about every 30 seconds. Annoying as he'll as there was no one within a quarter of a mile of us and I had no turn for at least 40 miles. It has done this periodically before, but it was constant on 158.
I just picked up my new 2022 Tesla Y Performance model and I am using 91 miles of energy to drive 53 miles. This means that i can only drive 100 actual miles before I have to charge it back up. Is this abnormal? Thank you!

I just picked up my new 2022 Tesla Y Performance model and I am using 91 miles of energy to drive 53 miles. This means that i can only drive 100 actual miles before I have to charge it back up. Is this abnormal? Thank you!
Probably a different thread is correct for this type of question. For the answer this can be normal in some conditions: if it is very cold, and you have multiple times the car has to heat up, or if you have sentry mode for a while, or drive really fast, or accelerate and break a lot.

I don’t know how you got to the “100 mile” number though.

Reactions: CHRISFROMALBAN
It is for that reason that I typically will not use it if someone is too close behind me. But I just did a 300+ mile drive to the OBX and I experienced only 3 or 4 phantom braking events, and only of about 5-10 mph. Not great, but they were also fairly gradual. Nothing sudden. I had to turn it off on route 158 in NC because it kept trying to get into the left (fast) lane about every 30 seconds. Annoying as he'll as there was no one within a quarter of a mile of us and I had no turn for at least 40 miles. It has done this periodically before, but it was constant on 158.
I’ve had the same problem with attempted left lane changes for no reason. Very annoying…

Camera Calibration:

My experience with 10.4 was that it was a regression from 10.3. I had to intervene much more frequently. Toward the end of my two weeks with it, I read about running camera calibration. I calibrated the cameras and this seemed to improve things - but I only was able to drive a day or so post calibration so couldn’t objectively evaluate.

Installed 10.5 yesterday. I was not able to drive 1 mile on FSD. Half the time FSD was not available (steering wheel icon didn’t show). Rest of time it made absurd decisions and missed turns. I had to intervene more than I ever have before.

I ran camera calibration again this morning and everything is now working fine. Ran a test loop that I had previously run with 10.4 (prior to calibration). Previously numerous interventions had been required. This time everything was completely smooth - especially reactions to pedestrians crossing road where no crosswalk was present, or joggers crossing on a crosswalk against the light. Even handled a difficult roundabout with no markings that it had never ever managed to navigate previously.

(version: 2021.36.8.8- for those that want to try this, camera calibration is located in the “service” screen. You need to drive ~20 miles for the cameras to calibrate - the steering wheel icon will show a blue progress bar during calibration. Seems calibration works better/faster when driving on highways, as opposed to normal streets and back roads)

Last edited:
Seems calibration works better/faster when driving on highways, as opposed to normal streets and back roads)

The manual says that the ideal road for calibration is a well marked 3-lane highway with you in the center lane. I assume it's best with light to no traffic since the purpose is for the camera to see the lane markings.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
When I use FSD Beta, I don't count disengagements, I see how far I can drive from my house before my wife will scream or tell me to turn it off. Is 10.5 an improvement? So far no. It still slams on the brakes about 25 back from a stop sign, then inches forward and makes the most awkward right turn.
My wife has forbidden me to turn it on while she’s in the car so you’re one step ahead of me.

Seriously though. Try Camera Calibration (under the “Service” window). Don’t know why but after doing it, FSD runs amazingly for me. Prior to calibration, it sucked. Maybe does nothing but worth a try.

Drove about 30 miles on rural 2 lane highways today. It careened at 60 mph into a left turn lane. There was oncoming traffic and a large truck making a left turn from the road i was turning left onto. It waited till the traffic and truck were clear and then sat there as if parked. My 2018 LR RWD will not make most simple turns. Phantom slowing was continuously present on some roads and not others. The turns it makes are too fast. I calibrated the cameras again before this drive. There may be some hardware and firmware configurations that are incompatible including mine. Turned it off again

When I drive manually, I get a pleasant satisfaction and challenge to use regen braking primarily and friction brakes only if absolutely necessary. In fact, when I do use friction brakes, I am annoyed. Aim is to never have to replace the brake pads. FSD uses friction brakes often, very frustrating. It would be nice to see a running safety score for autopilot.
Heh yeah. It seemed like all the SS dings I got for "Hard Braking" were when I actually used the brake pedal as opposed to stopping entirely using regen. If this SS isn't actually complete BS, Tesla should be using it to evaluate the performance of their path planner: if I'm able to drive around with a 100, so should AP! (Not to mention the ride would be much more comfortable... a lot of my gripes with AP's driving is that it takes turns uncomfortably fast and it brakes unnaturally late.)

Reactions: pilotSteve
I downloaded 10.5 on Tuesday morning. Afterwards, I got in to drive it and the screens were both black on my refresh model S. 4 days later, everything is still black. I pressed the two wheels for 15 seconds with brake pedal pressed, and it won’t reboot. 10.5 update has nearly bricked my car. Will likely need to get it towed to a service center. Any suggestions - will still drive, but with both montitors blacked out I don’t know my speed or anything.

I downloaded 10.5 on Tuesday morning. Afterwards, I got in to drive it and the screens were both black on my refresh model S. 4 days later, everything is still black. I pressed the two wheels for 15 seconds with brake pedal pressed, and it won’t reboot. 10.5 update has nearly bricked my car. Will likely need to get it towed to a service center. Any suggestions - will still drive, but with both montitors blacked out I don’t know my speed or anything.
Sorry to hear this. You can use the phone app to keep track of your speed and other purposes while the screen is out.

Drove about 30 miles on rural 2 lane highways today. It careened at 60 mph into a left turn lane. There was oncoming traffic and a large truck making a left turn from the road i was turning left onto. It waited till the traffic and truck were clear and then sat there as if parked. My 2018 LR RWD will not make most simple turns. Phantom slowing was continuously present on some roads and not others. The turns it makes are too fast. I calibrated the cameras again before this drive. There may be some hardware and firmware configurations that are incompatible including mine. Turned it off again
If your used to slow acceleration and gentle curves then FSD may not feel comfortable and/or safe but over time you may get used to it. FSD doesn't seem to include how "chill" mode behaves which would be welcome by many. I have found using the "go pedal" to help the car when it needs a nudge helps rather than disengaging. You also may want to reset the display then re-cycle power but there is no proof this helps but worth a try. 10.5 is like a teenager on steroids where you never know what's coming next.