Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.8 - 10.5.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i also got a strike for having the phone to my ear. had to put it on speaker
Isn't it illegal (and I would add immoral) in your State to touch your phone while driving? That's why God made voice recognition and GPS Nav car phone functions. Everyone on TMC professes to want FSD to improve road travel safety and we know that distracted driver-caused collisions are a predominant proximate cause of death and horrific injuries every day. Let's get on-board the safety-first train.

Received 10.5.1 Monday night on my M3LR SS=100. I had 10.3, 10.4 previously. Other than the initial 10.3 phantom braking disaster, I feel 10.5.1 is the worst version. I am pushing the report button every few miles for collision warnings, unnecessary slow down, jerking the steering wheel, changing to the wrong lane less than a mile before an upcoming turn. Sometimes it can't merge back due to traffic backup. One time it started to go through a red left turn light. There is an overall jerkiness to the way the car drives that I haven't noticed before. The steering wheel will suddenly jerk or the speed will dip quickly then return. Because of this, my wife won't let me run FSD when she is in the car.

Isn't it illegal (and I would add immoral) in your State to touch your phone while driving? That's why God made voice recognition and GPS Nav car phone functions. Everyone on TMC professes to want FSD to improve road travel safety and we know that distracted driver-caused collisions are a predominant proximate cause of death and horrific injuries every day. Let's get on-board the safety-first train.
Most people justify their bad driving habits with an attitude of what's OK for me is not OK for thee.

With just a few months of driving experience even teenagers can be safe drivers if they follow the rules. The problem is that distracted driving for any reason causes accidents. Combine that with speeding and the probability of an accident increases. Add impairment and now an accident is a certainty.

With Tesla AP it is easier than ever to relax road attention. I found it easy to put constant tension on the wheel and can drive for hours with not even the first warning. But what I find needs improvement on the eyes front camera warning is Tesla puts the 3 / Y display off to the side, as well as many touch screen controls. They do provide voice control to answer the touch screen problem if drivers learn to use it. My wife uses it all the time as I showed her how much easier it is than the off to the side touch screen while driving. A better solution for speed and monitoring is what we have in the Model S which is the driver's display. But there is an even better way which is a HUD monitor in the windshield. Too bad Tesla hasn't added that to these premium expensive EV's. Other cars have it.
If we must have eyes front monitoring, then a HUD is the answer to monitor what we need to monitor and the voice command takes care of the off to the side controls.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Can someone post how long it takes, looking off to the side before you get your first warning?

The shortest time on the steering wheel tension was about 20 seconds but more typical it was 30 seconds.
On streets, I’ve gotten the ding sound in a second for looking the wrong way. It’s as fast as dinging for the phone.

On highway, it’s much more lenient with looks. As it should be. On streets, I’m always paying attention because it really can do the worst thing at wrong time.

Reactions: K5TRX and GWord
Just when I said this was better, I almost got rear ended. FSD put me into a merge lane on the right which is going to end in a 1/4 mile. Hardly anyone uses this lane during rush hour expect for jerks that speed through and cut back in at the end. Well, FSD beta tried just to do that. Already set at 50mph in a 45mph zone the car made its move to go around slower traffic, sped up in the empty lane, and then it slammed the brakes since if doesn' know how to shoot the gap into traffic doing 10-15mph on it's way back to its original lane. Car behind me hit their brakes and the car behind them locked up.

There was a Model X that probably saw the whole thing. He was in front of me before FSD decided to be a jerk. By the time, FSD made it back to the left lane, the Model X was 2 cars behind me. FSD almost got me into a accident, and all of that it only saved me like 4 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I’m road-tripping in Monterey Bay, ca and 10.5 is bad here. Probably worse than 10.4 due to its confidence in doing the wrong thing. It’s like it’s doubling down on a path, and it’s the wrong path. It got the wife to say “oh no! :O” as passenger for the first time, lol.

There’s also some small expressways (2-lane road 55mph) where it will switch from highway to street mode very quickly back and fourth, like the two systems are fighting for control. Didn’t have fsd engaged to see who would win, but the visuals were very trippy.

To be fair, I think safety score in this area would be pretty low due to a lot of small streets. Annoying other drivers is pretty high here.

On the bright side, i think it’s hugging the centerline less.

FWIW 10.5 has been noticeably worse than 10.4 for me as well... first time having any FSD version try to drive into oncoming traffic lane for example (crossed a big intersection without lane markings and was trying to drive into the left-most oncoming lane on wrong side of the double-yellow by the other side of intersection).

Also had it dead stop at 2 different T-intersections (one on the long leg were it needed to turn left but just sat there stopped-- one on the single-leg where it pulled forward to the dead-end and then stopped instead of turning left as it should have)

To be fair- the first situation (the cross into oncoming lane one) was at an intersection I'd not previously driven so it's possible older versions would've failed there too- but the T-stops 10.4 handled fine.

Also had it twice prompt me to use the accelerator or stalk to give it permission to go (from a stop) once at a stop sign and once at a light- both places it handled without requiring my prompting in previous versions.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
10.5 put me in FSD jail yesterday. Merging into interstate traffic, it was paralleling a truck in the merge lane. I accelerated to make a safer merge, exceeding 80mph in the process. I guess I could have 1) waited a bit longer for FSD to make its own correction or 2) Deselected FSD with the right lever before accelerating. Option 2 seems the best for me to remember in the future. I'm not sure this registered as strike 1 for me though, as there is no note to that effect on the beta accept page.

nags for keeping hands on the wheel are the same as always, these nags are for keeping your attention on the road and come from the cabin camera. very inaccurate and sensitive. can’t even change the damn radio, map or climate.
That’s odd. I’ve never had such problems. The only pay attention nag I’ve gotten was once when I was staring off the side of the road looking a a billboard.

• Funny
Reactions: K5TRX and lUtriaNt
10.5 put me in FSD jail yesterday. Merging into interstate traffic, it was paralleling a truck in the merge lane. I accelerated to make a safer merge, exceeding 80mph in the process. I guess I could have 1) waited a bit longer for FSD to make its own correction or 2) Deselected FSD with the right lever before accelerating. Option 2 seems the best for me to remember in the future. I'm not sure this registered as strike 1 for me though, as there is no note to that effect on the beta accept page.
You were on FSD merging on an interstate? Normally this would be NOA. If you were on NOA it wouldn’t count.

Can someone post how long it takes, looking off to the side before you get your first warning?

The shortest time on the steering wheel tension was about 20 seconds but more typical it was 30 seconds.

I did an experiment where I looked all the way to the left (facing my side window) while my wife watched ahead for me. It took about 10-15 seconds for the system to beep at me to pay attention to the road.

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5
I did an experiment where I looked all the way to the left (facing my side window) while my wife watched ahead for me. It took about 10-15 seconds for the system to beep at me to pay attention to the road.
Thanks. That seems appropriate. Is that safe?
I don't know but in traffic it logically seems too long. At some point I think we are just going to have to accept the fact that driving while distracted is dangerous and no amount of monitoring is going to keep you from getting into a crash. You decide to drive in traffic, then you have to accept the probability of an accident even if you did everything right, you can't control the other loon on the highway. Maybe Tesla has done enough and should stop wasting time trying to achieve perfection on the driver monitoring and spend more time improving FSD actions. We sure have given them enough data this past month.

Reactions: ABerry and jpfive
i also got a strike for having the phone to my ear. had to put it on speaker
Steering wheel does not count apparently because i had constant pressure on wheel and still got yelled at for not paying attention cause i was changing the climate with my other hand
As well it should since you must have been inattentive long enough to get the warning. If your quick using the display UI you should be ok. That has been my experience plus use voice whenever possible.

First time beta user, had a score of 99

Initial impressions are sometimes a bit jerky on the wheel. Unsure if the 'camera calibration' will do anything to help.

Already submitted a report for wrong lane (right turn only).

Looking forward to more testing and improvements!