Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.8 - 10.5.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying out 10.5 on some of my usual routes. There's a spot where it has to make a left turn (two left-turn lanes) followed by an immediate right (200 feet later); the car still always incorrectly chooses the leftmost of the two left-turn lanes, and is unable to merge over to the right lane for the following turn. This seems more like a human programming error than a neural net issue.

Another unprotected residential 4-way intersection near my home often causes problems; there are often oncoming cars, and FSD often starts to turn left and then inexplicably stops dead in the middle of the intersection, blocking oncoming traffic. No improvement here with 10.5.

Hoping that 11.0 will be a step-change in quality when it eventually comes out. I have several friends that I'm looking forward to taking for FSD test drives, but 10.5 is still making too many basic mistakes for me to think that's a good idea just yet. But at the same time, it is truly technologically miraculous, and I'm so happy to be living in the future!

Hoping that 11.0 will be a step-change in quality when it eventually comes out.

I suspect v11 is not going to be much better than the current point releases. v11 gets a major version number due to the work on single stack (using the FSD beta codebase to take over the old code for AP on highways). That's been a monumental effort, and I suspect NN training for highways is the priority for v11.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think we should get our hopes up. I don't recall the introduction of v9 or v10 to be earth shattering either, unless you take Whole Mars Catalog literally.

After getting my tire fixed, I had a chance to go out and put about 25 moles in the city on v10.5. Did my test route plus a few other locations. In the first two miles I had to disengage many times I lost count. Safety issues:
1. making wide right turns into oncoming traffic.
2. running a red light twice.
3. frequent phantom braking or just slowing.
4. continued erratic steering.
5. Making left turns from right turn lane.
6. Failure to make right turn on red light with no traffic.
7. first time since beta testing I got other drivers mad at me by blowing their horn when I stopped in the middle of an intersection with green light.

After the 3rd horn blower, I shut it down and drove home.

Traffic was really heavy and people really angry and short tempered. Gas prices were up again 10 cents a gallon and the lines were building at gas station longer and longer.

New beta user here as of today. I’m up in the mountains for the holiday and have no service on the car so not sure if that’s affecting anything but I’m going through small towns and I am surprised by how poorly it performed so far based on other videos I’ve seen - almost looks like it does better in more urban areas.

For example, I started it in a parking lot and it immediately drove straight and started accelerating toward the curb instead of turning left like the screen showed it would. I had to stop it and reverse.

It approached a green light planning a right turn and the light turned yellow. It had enough time but started to slow which is fine. As soon as the light turned red, however, it started to accelerate out and would have directly run the red light and been t boned by a car going straight with a green if I didn’t stop it.

The third time I used it it approached a one way stop sign, waited a few seconds for traffic and then started to accelerate and go right out in front of a truck that was continuing straight with no stop sign. I had to gun the throttle to get in front of it. Weird!

My take on 10.5 is it’s a lot better than 10.4. I’m getting a few slow downs but none of those hard phantom braking that plagued me with 10.4. I find the car much smoother approaching stopped traffic and I’ve actually done a few trips with zero interventions. 10.4 was a major step backwards for my car so the bar was set fairly low for 10.5

I'm confused. I thought that FSD only comes into effect when you are also in NOA. I was indeed using NOA, with a forced disengagement when I exceeded 80. I know that you can use autopilot without engaging NOA, but not FSD.
The NOA stack is specifically for highways, and is in production software. FSD of course is what we as beta testers have. Once you enter the highway, you are using the production stack.

I think the confusion comes in because of the NOA button on the trip planner. I’m not sure why it shows up even when there are no NOA segments in the trip.

But to your original point, while running the NOA (production) stack, it appears that 80 mph forced disengagements do not count against your three strikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and WilliamG
The NOA stack is specifically for highways, and is in production software. FSD of course is what we as beta testers have. Once you enter the highway, you are using the production stack.

I think the confusion comes in because of the NOA button on the trip planner. I’m not sure why it shows up even when there are no NOA segments in the trip.

But to your original point, while running the NOA (production) stack, it appears that 80 mph forced disengagements do not count against your three strikes.
IIRC the original name for FSDBeta was Navigate on Autopilot: City Streets. So it would make sense for NoA to show in trip planner if you go by that.

Reactions: K5TRX
They don't set policy. They only offer opinions. Plus they are staffed by biased Tesla haters who have financial interest in Tesla's competition.

Corrected. Had it backwards. NHTSA sets policy and is staffed by a Tesla hater, Missy Cummings.
If you dig around in the academia/policy side of autonomous vehicle development, you'll find that many people not involved with the NHTSA/NTSB believe they should have taken much stronger action against FSD -- from the marketing to methods of testing/deployment -- a long, long time ago. The NTSB has made some recommendations, and the NHTSA has... well the critics on the other side of the fence would probably say they've done little or nothing.

Behind the scenes I think the NHTSA is working closely with Tesla to build in driver monitoring and such, but otherwise they have given a lot of latitude to avoid stifling innovation. Frankly I think the hate at them is misguided, because the NHTSA in particular has very clearly been ignoring calls to take action from people who are much more critical of the way this has unfolded.

Ahhh... Thank you. :)

If you dig around in the academia/policy side of autonomous vehicle development, you'll find that many people not involved with the NHTSA/NTSB believe they should have taken much stronger action against FSD ...
As I recall the FSD as in Full Self Driving was originally a goal to achieve Level 5 autonomy. There was also the criticism that Auto Pilot was an improper name because Tesla is not an airplane and drivers are not pilots.

Since I purchased FSD option AND read what Tesla claimed it would do and what it promised to become in the future, I was well aware that I was buying a commitment to a feature. In addition, I was well aware that Tesla kept their promise that as time and technology dictates, those of us who bought FSD would get any new hardware requirements for free. My model S already received the HW3.0 under that promise. I appreciate the NHTSA has the authority to regulate airbags and seatbelts and similar items of safety, but not the creative naming of features. As I recall the disapproval of these names used by Tesla were started by people in the competition sponsored media. I will give NHTSA credit for giving what leeway they do to avoid being guided by mob rule, however, one new employee has been using the media to launch her personal battle with what Tesla has developed because it doesn't coincide with her financial interests.

Doesn't Utah have 85mph on I-15? Seems Tesla should raise the 80mph limit to 85 based on that maximum speed limit. Of course it doesn't mean you can't drive that speed with a Tesla, just that AP doesn't work at that speed (safely) by Tesla standards.
The 80mph limit is because of the switch to vision instead of radar and is a temporary restriction. Its got nothing to do with local speed limits.
Radar AP had a 90mph limit

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve