Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD Beta Release 10.5 2021.36.8.8 - 10.5.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a great song lyric by Rush: "If you choose not to decide, you will have made a choice!" The FSD computer (or the engineers who programmed it) doesn't seem to have quite internalized this. The car seems to have a "safe mode", which is usually to act timidly and do nothing, or brake to a halt, without taking into account that in many contexts this "safe mode" is actively _more_ dangerous than continuing with less than perfect certainty. E.g. stopping in the middle of an intersection when the light is red, or hard phantom braking when another car is on your tail. I strongly wish that the car would go into "safe mode" less often, and/or just beep to alert the driver when there's too much uncertainty, rather than safing. (The beeped-at driver can do the safing, and Tesla gets a lot more useful training data this way.) Perhaps 10.6+ will go more in this direction.
A big piece of driving is about showing intent through action. We drive in a way that says: "I intend to make this turn (and you should yield to me)", or "I am not moving (so I am yielding to you)". Accidents happen when that predictability goes away. We get frustrated at drivers that are doing something unusual because we don't know what they will do next.

If the car is defaulting to something because of uncertainty, I think it should make an audio prompt and adopt some sort of control like "hold down stalk to go". The car steers, and I decide the urgency it needs to move to clear traffic. I think this is probably a safer FSD beta control than the current ultra-timid state.

I've had FSD beta 10.5 completely fail out due to rain, not just run in a degraded state. I think radar would help.

Radar can see more than one car deep in front of you while vision cannot. Perhaps FSD would not try to go around a string of stopped cars if it could see at least one car in front of the stopped one. I see Lidar and vision having the same line of sight weather issues but not with radar. We need better more accurate radar. No reason not to use vision, radar and ultrasonics except for HW3 not having enough compute to pull it off. I eagerly await my free HW4 upgrade. :)

A big piece of driving is about showing intent through action. We drive in a way that says: "I intend to make this turn (and you should yield to me)", or "I am not moving (so I am yielding to you)". Accidents happen when that predictability goes away. We get frustrated at drivers that are doing something unusual because we don't know what they will do next.

Exactly, and FSD is ironically getting this exactly wrong by "safely creeping" forward at intersections, which for a human driver unambiguously signals intent to take right-of-way. It confuses other drivers to no end that FSD sends mixed signals this way.
If the car is defaulting to something because of uncertainty, I think it should make an audio prompt and adopt some sort of control like "hold down stalk to go". The car steers, and I decide the urgency it needs to move to clear traffic. I think this is probably a safer FSD beta control than the current ultra-timid state.
Right, similar to the way NOA currently prompts for lane changes. Make sure the driver is paying attention, then start the maneuver, but don't just sit there!

Reactions: Warbird
Went to test FSD beta for auto park using the new vision only parking lot lines on my Model S. Parking lot was very well marked but I was not able to see any white lines and driving past the empty spaces at 10mph no "P" ever showed un on the screen.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work under FSD-beta 2021.36.8.8?

Went to test FSD beta for auto park using the new vision only parking lot lines on my Model S. Parking lot was very well marked but I was not able to see any white lines and driving past the empty spaces at 10mph no "P" ever showed un on the screen.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work under FSD-beta 2021.36.8.8?
I think only the refreshed Model S has the vision autopark. I tried it with my 2019 Model S, and It still uses the ultrasonic sensor, between two cars method.

• Disagree
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
No, this has been around since .36 on model Y.
I also tested my model Y and it is still at 32.22 and does have park between two adjacent cars but not the empty lot vision parking. I appreciate the info on your Model Y with version .36

I plan to do more testing later today with the S but now at 36.8.8, I can't even get it to see the ultrasonic between two parked cars. I only checked one lot location so I will do more in different lots.

I also tested my model Y and it is still at 32.22 and does have park between two adjacent cars but not the empty lot vision parking. I appreciate the info on your Model Y with version .36

I plan to do more testing later today with the S but now at 36.8.8, I can't even get it to see the ultrasonic between two parked cars. I only checked one lot location so I will do more in different lots.
It definitely is an improvement, although it is still very slow. It generally hits the center of the spot on the first try, and even stops for pedestrians.

2021.44 per TeslaFi

Days Until Next Release​

We expect version 2021.44 to be released imminently.

Subscribe to be notified when new software is released.
Very unlikely this would be 10.6. They always release new monthly builds (like 32, 36, 40, 44) to general fleet first.

Obviously they don't want to deal with potential issues from non-FSD related features and FSD related features together. Once the main branch is well established, they port FSD to that main release.

Obviously they don't want to deal with potential issues from non-FSD related features and FSD related features together. Once the main branch is well established, they port FSD to that main release.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyypooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttttttttttsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Waypoints.

Update:

10-6.png

I'm still on v10.5 so I'll post this here:
I decided with the present delay in getting 10.6 I would do a camera recalibration to see if it made any difference in test drive performance.

What I did notice is that the recalibration took much longer than before for FSD-beta.
It took 7.5 miles to do the first part that enabled AP. But then it took 45 miles of additional driving to calibrate for FSD-beta and then I had to re-engage it while in Park and then agree to the terms again before it came back on.
IMG_2421.jpg

My first test drive with recal cameras seemed to go OK until a roundabout where it nearly hit a curb with erratic steering. I'll do more testing later but I don't see the recal of cameras made any obvious difference.