Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla FSD beta safety score reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your in the 98 plus category it wouldn’t make sense as they’ve locked down on All downloads for the past month for various reasons. Once the gates open again many will be added that qualify. Many just opted in sadly at the wrong time. I had a bad score (horrible actually) last November and wanted it for an upcoming trip. Opted out, wait an hour, opt in and score cleared. I like many did 4 consecutive Evening No cars on the road drives of 20-30 miles and I was activated on the 5th day. I am certain that is how it still works However that strategy is useless if the gates of Beta are still not open. I would bet If nothing goes wrong in the first few weeks of 10.10 the doors will open.

Upvote 0
If your in the 98 plus category it wouldn’t make sense as they’ve locked down on All downloads for the past month for various reasons. Once the gates open again many will be added that qualify. Many just opted in sadly at the wrong time. I had a bad score (horrible actually) last November and wanted it for an upcoming trip. Opted out, wait an hour, opt in and score cleared. I like many did 4 consecutive Evening No cars on the road drives of 20-30 miles and I was activated on the 5th day. I am certain that is how it still works However that strategy is useless if the gates of Beta are still not open. I would bet If nothing goes wrong in the first few weeks of 10.10 the doors will open.
Not my experience.

Upvote 0
@christyth how many times have you reset your safety score? Maybe it is a recent thing, It seems that if you reset your score too many times, Telsa penalizes you. I reset my score 4 times in total (by opt-out, driving a bit, waiting till the score disappears, and requesting the beta again). For the first two times, I was able to get the score back in a few hours. After the third time, it took me a couple of days. After the 4th time, it took 5 days for the old score to disappear. It's been 7 days, the safety score still hasn't shown up on my Tesla app.

Reactions: doozenberg
Upvote 0
I just subscribed to FSD and opted in last night. Took my first drive today, mostly using NOA and autopilot. However, since I was driving near Boston, after my first day of careful driving my score was only 94. I opted out, but after 4 hours my score is still there. Any idea how long to wait or give up?

Upvote 0
I just subscribed to FSD and opted in last night. Took my first drive today, mostly using NOA and autopilot. However, since I was driving near Boston, after my first day of careful driving my score was only 94. I opted out, but after 4 hours my score is still there. Any idea how long to wait or give up?
Just an opinion but I wouldn’t treat this like a video game. A one day lower score will not break you. Learn what Not to do and in just a few weeks of driving that score will round up fast. Resetting every bad score will drive you batty.

Upvote 0
Just an opinion but I wouldn’t treat this like a video game. A one day lower score will not break you. Learn what Not to do and in just a few weeks of driving that score will round up fast. Resetting every bad score will drive you batty.
Appreciate your good advice. The only reason I wanted to reset my safety score is that I had only one day driving under my belt, and I wanted to start from a higher place. OTOH, all this may not matter. It's been over 24 hours since I left the beta-FSD request queue, and my safety score remains. Perhaps 2022.12.3.1 takes away this ploy. Regardless of whether or not the score goes away by tomorrow morning, I'll opt back in anyway and just go with the flow.

Upvote 0
If you are in a state that offers Tesla insurance, and uses the safety score as a metric for pricing, your safety score will automatically reset to 100 when you purchase the policy. This happened to me when I switched to Tesla insurance on 10/16/2021 and on 10/28 I received the beta with a 100 score.

Surely not practical for many but it did work for me...

Upvote 0
The safety score is maddening. I had been at 100 and I kept getting false Forward Collision Warnings when there was nothing there. Support (chat) told me to recalibrate the cameras, which I did and it took several days of driving to complete. Then there was a software update to 2022.12.3.2. The next long drive, cruising along on a divided highway I got the message to apply a slight turning motion to the yoke (I am light on the controls but always on them), which I did several times, but it ignored them and kept saying to apply the turning motion and finally did a Forced Autopilot Disengagement - a huge no-no and a score of 95 that would not change with miles of super careful night driving on open country roads. Since then, it's been dinging me for normal driving, or when someone pulls out in front and the Autopilot kicks off and you have to brake on your own - gets you for following too close and hard braking. Today it was about to run a red light that it has always stopped for on the past (with two lights), and I waited as long as I dared and finally had to brake firmly (but not that hard) to stop. Got a 93 for the day. I can go out for a long country drive tonight and bring it up, but I'm down to 98 after being at 100 for weeks. The system is so sensitive that when I leave our neighborhood to pull out on a main two-lane road that has a curve to the left with bushes that obscure the oncoming traffic from the left about 100 yards away (45 mph zone, but some are appearing from behind the bushes faster than that), I have to wait until I see no cars, try to ease out slow enough to avoid Aggressive Turning, and then often see someone in the mirror approaching fast from behind. If I accelerate while I'm still turning, I get Aggressive Turning. If I turn at the normal safe and reasonable rate I would in my other car, it says Aggressive Turning. If I wait until I'm pretty straight and then accelerate, the distance increases quickly, but probably does not take away the annoyance of the driver behind me for having to slow quickly because I'm pulling out so slowly. This system needs to be recalibrated to allow normal driving, and should not ding you for Autopilot mistakes that result in it kicking off and forcing you to correct for its mistake.

Reactions: retco
Upvote 0
I appear to have a defective radar on my MS. Getting errors such as autopilot failed due to unexpected error and autosteering errors every few minutes, but only when following a car. Autopilot also displayed some dangerous behaviors such as trying to ram cars in front of me while driving. I notice when it tries to ram the cars, it does not appear to be "see" those cars in the screen visualization. The car in front will flicker and disappear from the screen for a few seconds. Waiting on service center availability to fully diagnose and replace radar.

As a result of these issues, I have multiple unsafe following and forced autopilot disengagements dropping my score from 98-99 to 92. Trying to reset by un-enrolling so I can drive 100mi and try to qualify for next rollout Elon mentioned. After 3 days my safety score won't disappear. I remember doing this trick on my M3 and after a scroll wheel reset the score would disappear. Tried everything I can think off and the score won't go away from my MS. Anyone have any ideas? I'm on 2022.12.3.2 and wondering if it's no longer reset-able as of this version.

I was able to reset recently with version 2022.12.3.0.

Upvote 0
I appear to have a defective radar on my MS. Getting errors such as autopilot failed due to unexpected error and autosteering errors every few minutes, but only when following a car. Autopilot also displayed some dangerous behaviors such as trying to ram cars in front of me while driving. I notice when it tries to ram the cars, it does not appear to be "see" those cars in the screen visualization. The car in front will flicker and disappear from the screen for a few seconds. Waiting on service center availability to fully diagnose and replace radar.

As a result of these issues, I have multiple unsafe following and forced autopilot disengagements dropping my score from 98-99 to 92. Trying to reset by un-enrolling so I can drive 100mi and try to qualify for next rollout Elon mentioned. After 3 days my safety score won't disappear. I remember doing this trick on my M3 and after a scroll wheel reset the score would disappear. Tried everything I can think off and the score won't go away from my MS. Anyone have any ideas? I'm on 2022.12.3.2 and wondering if it's no longer reset-able as of this version.

I was able to reset recently with version 2022.12.3.0.
I've just found out the same thing. Several months ago, I opted out and back in after I figured out how the scoring worked.

I drove from SoFL to TN Thursday. My 99 score got murdered on the drive. I opted out near the end of the day. Previously, my safety score would disappear within 30 minutes so I knew it was time to opt back in. Not this time. My poor 93 score is persistent in the app. The only thing I've noticed is if you opt out it stops grading your trips.

Upvote 0
It is hard to predict if the opt out will result in the score reset. Couple of weeks I have opted in for the first time on a new car, drove it once and opted out. One day and a few drives later I still had Safety score in the app and after opting in again it continued to take into account the first drive. After that I have later opted out a couple of times for specific drives (i.e. opt out before heading out and opt in on return) and the score stayed but surprisingly after one of those the score disappeared. Not sure what could have made a difference... The time was shorter than the first opt out but the total driving distance was probably longer. Another conspiracy theory is that this time it was Sunday so it may matter if they are wiping scores once a week... IDK

Upvote 0
On 2022.12.3.2, opted out of FSD w 100 safety score. On past version opting back in brought back old safety scores from prior days. Tried this again last night. Now all drives are wiped out. This is back to the old behavior that I didn’t experience with a prior build. Take heed as FSD 10.12.2 approaches in next few weeks

Upvote 0