Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta V9 Will ‘Blow Your Mind,’ Says Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
How about those unprotected lefts?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been touting the upcoming, feature-complete Full Self-Driving Beta update Version 9, as well as the “Beta Button,” for some time now. Of course, we’d rather have Tesla delay it and launch it fully fleshed out than rush it out with potential problems, however, people are getting anxious.

Now that Musk has said repeatedly how amazing he believes FSD Beta v9 will be, Tesla may be delaying things even longer. It would really be a bad look if Tesla released the new version, installed the download button, and then owners had a bunch of issues or concerns.

Nonetheless, Musk is once again bragging about the upcoming tech. He actually went so far as to say it may be...

Continue reading...

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
When I took a class on Artificial Intelligence back in the 70s, we were taught how to program a computer, a mainframe, to do tricks that could fool you into thinking it had intelligence. Every AI system I've seen since does exactly that. Under the sheets it is still just programming. I did some simple Alexa programming when it came out. Yes, Alexa can tell jokes, can interpret your voice, can answer questions. But when it comes down to it it is just programming to react to what you say. Yes, very complex programming sometimes, but programming nonetheless. In my case I had to supply all of the various ways that one may ask the question, and then provide all of the answers with a dialogue tree. Is that intelligence? Not at all. Alexa has all of the "smarts" that Amazon can throw at it but how many times have I asked and gotten "I don't know how to answer that" from my Echo. FSD will be no different. There will come that time when it has to give the answer "I don't know how to handle that" while you go at 70mph.

That said, I didn't buy my T to get FSD. I bought it because it was fast, fun to drive, and all electric. I use AP on occasion, but the same times where I might have used the cruise control. The one additional situation is in bumper to bumper traffic where I'll turn on the lane control too. There's a lot of bumper to bumper traffic in Brooklyn these days.

And I almost never use the navigation. I don't need no stinkin' navigation. I know where I'm going 99% of the time.

When I took a class on Artificial Intelligence back in the 70s, we were taught how to program a computer, a mainframe, to do tricks that could fool you into thinking it had intelligence. Every AI system I've seen since does exactly that. Under the sheets it is still just programming.
When I learned A.I. back in the 80's, we were told we'd have self driving cars by the year 2000.
What many folks don't understand is how good human are at filtering information.
That bird, that tree fluttering in the wind, the overhead signs, we can ignore them easily.
On a neighborhood street, that bouncing ball is NOT to be ignored as likely there is a kid or dog chasing it.
Some people are also great at ignoring driving while texting on their phones or putting on makeup ( I was rear ended by this case).
Other folks believe what they want, such as I'm the best driver out here or the rules don't apply to me or it wasn't red, it was orange.
We need FSD and at least some are working towards it.
Will we be able to get in the car after dinner, tell it to drive 12 hours to grandma's and wake up the next morning already there. That is what I really want and sadly, the answer is NO. We have to recharge/refuel every few hours. At least not in my lifetime.
However, if I don't get rear ended again by a careless driver or watch yet another go through a red light or any of the accidents on any of the videos that are readily available that may be good.
However, as someone pointed out to me, road accidents are a leading supplier of organ donations and if we take that away...

Reactions: X-pilot and Matias