Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta V9 Will ‘Blow Your Mind,’ Says Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd expect to be blown away and also underwhelmed. Blown away that a car can do any sort of self-driving, but underwhelmed at how well it does compared to a human driver. Same thing with Advanced Summon. If you told me 10 years ago I'd have a car that can drive around in a parking lot, I'd be blown away. Doesn't mean it's actually practical.
I like how you worded it. Can't agree more.

I'd expect to be blown away and also underwhelmed. Blown away that a car can do any sort of self-driving, but underwhelmed at how well it does compared to a human driver. Same thing with Advanced Summon. If you told me 10 years ago I'd have a car that can drive around in a parking lot, I'd be blown away. Doesn't mean it's actually practical.
yes, good points. Hopefully updates will become practical. I remember my grand-dad saying that when he saw early airplanes for the first time, he said it would never be practical. My Uncle (electrical engineer) in the early 50s said a computer would never be practical. Some things on the Tesla are not real practical to me, yet I am hopeful.

Reactions: FlyF4
When (not if -- just a matter of time) Tesla pulls off FSD with only vision and without LIDAR or RADAR, the other companies will look pretty ridiculous with their hardware protrusions all over their vehicles gathering data yet still can't deliver Level 5 autonomy. They'll eventually get there, but first have to learn for themselves that they've gone down some dead-ends.

I applaud Tesla for realizing RADAR is isn't needed and then changing direction. All the while, the others are still stuck on thinking LIDAR is required. So far, only Tesla appears to have the volume of data needed (among other things) to accomplish the machine learning by capturing the billions of real-world miles from the fleet of Teslas.

Sure, I'm tired of waiting, but this is a super difficult thing to solve. Once Tesla does it, I think we'll see them applying their same approach, technologies, systems, and tools to other problems and making rapid progress with those.

When (not if -- just a matter of time) Tesla pulls off FSD with only vision and without LIDAR or RADAR, the other companies will look pretty ridiculous with their hardware protrusions all over their vehicles gathering data yet still can't deliver Level 5 autonomy. They'll eventually get there, but first have to learn for themselves that they've gone down some dead-ends.

I applaud Tesla for realizing RADAR is isn't needed and then changing direction. All the while, the others are still stuck on thinking LIDAR is required. So far, only Tesla appears to have the volume of data needed (among other things) to accomplish the machine learning by capturing the billions of real-world miles from the fleet of Teslas.

Sure, I'm tired of waiting, but this is a super difficult thing to solve. Once Tesla does it, I think we'll see them applying their same approach, technologies, systems, and tools to other problems and making rapid progress with those.

Hate to break it to you but they dont capture billions of real world miles.
Secondly you act like automation is an on/off switch. That you either have L5 or you don't.
Actually we are dealing with mean time between failure (MTBF).
So you can have a company car is as good or 2x as good as humans in 2028 using only cameras.
While another companies' system is 100x better than humans using cameras, lidars and radars.

Hate to break it to you but they dont capture billions of real world miles.
Secondly you act like automation is an on/off switch. That you either have L5 or you don't.
Actually we are dealing with mean time between failure (MTBF).
So you can have a company car is as good or 2x as good as humans in 2028 using only cameras.
While another companies' system is 100x better than humans using cameras, lidars and radars.
I think you missed my point, but that's OK. :cool:

Reactions: mikes_fsd
as an AI person I understand why they are going to Cross sensor Video fusion and tracking ( it is what you do with your eyes and your head and neck ( albeit with lag) . but I did like the car tracking nicely with radar when it lost lane lines in intersections ( and locked on the front car ) and during rainstorms on highways with tons of road spray ( also would lock on the car in front solidly, better than I could see) . it probably is too hard to keep the radar data sets flowing as a fall back position when vision systems start to be obscured. I think we are going to see a lot of warnings telling us FSD is not usable due to video obscurations or degraded vision pairs. I guess its a trade off full FSD most of the time, versus hard to maintain NNs and a Radar input

as an AI person I understand why they are going to Cross sensor Video fusion and tracking ( it is what you do with your eyes and your head and neck ( albeit with lag) . but I did like the car tracking nicely with radar when it lost lane lines in intersections ( and locked on the front car ) and during rainstorms on highways with tons of road spray ( also would lock on the car in front solidly, better than I could see) . it probably is too hard to keep the radar data sets flowing as a fall back position when vision systems start to be obscured. I think we are going to see a lot of warnings telling us FSD is not usable due to video obscurations or degraded vision pairs. I guess its a trade off full FSD most of the time, versus hard to maintain NNs and a Radar input
Even without a leading car - when it rains in dark conditions, their Vision is better than mine. Probably true for a lot of people who wear glasses.

Is it possible, that Elon Musk is a robot, sent from the future, to build more robots, that will kill his chief adversary, his lieutenants, his proteges, parents & all his children... and he is just waiting to throw the 'attack' switch on his fleet of robotaxis?
On that day, his robot friends on Mars will say 'thanks for sending us the starship so we can get a ride down there'.

In that case, I'll stick with my original theory, that he is a genetically modified human, sent, via time portal, by a future race of plaintiffs' attorneys to unleash the largest mass tort in history, so the plaintiffs' attorneys will have plenty of lawsuits to file.

Reactions: eisenb11