Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Full Self-Driving Capabilities in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What? I thought FSDC was announced last year and everyone was expecting the Model 3 to be delivered to your house autonomously! Is that not the case?
tk5qby.jpg

It would be awesome if people knew what they were talking about before they talked with authority.

Tesla layers in the new software building on the last. There is little doubt that if you save the money by paying up front you will get access to additional features that others won't have. That's how it has worked in the past. There is no reason at all to think that's not how it will continue to work.

As an owner of multiple cars, and a rider since the beginning, spend the money up front. The journey is half the fun.

Reactions: EinSV and S3XY
It would be awesome if people knew what they were talking about before they talked with authority.

Tesla layers in the new software building on the last. There is little doubt that if you save the money by paying up front you will get access to additional features that others won't have. That's how it has worked in the past. There is no reason at all to think that's not how it will continue to work.

As an owner of multiple cars, and a rider since the beginning, spend the money up front. The journey is half the fun.

I feel the self driving feature is a little more complex as it involves laws and policies that currently are not in place yet. Even if the software is ready you might still be waiting on the higher powers to allow it.

I feel the self driving feature is a little more complex as it involves laws and policies that currently are not in place yet. Even if the software is ready you might still be waiting on the higher powers to allow it.

The legal complexity is not an excuse for withholding driverless features.

The following 3 states already passed laws for cars running around in their states without a human driver:

9/20/2016 Florida
12/10/2016 Michigan
5/30/2017 Georgia

Even when I live in the rest of the 47 states that don't allow a driverless car running around, there is no legal reason to withhold driverless features either.

That means, you can still activate driverless features as long as there is a human driver at the helm responsible for any mishaps.

That means, in 47 states, instead of sleeping at night in my bed while my car pick up customers on its own, my car can still do all that on its own but I still have to be in the driver seat.

The only excuse for inability to release driverless features to the public is because of current technology limitations, not because of legal reasons.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
My decision will come down to cost. $8k for EAP/FSD is pretty pricey on a $35k car (23%). $5k would probably get me to pull the trigger. Once it gets over that I'll have to think about it. I'll almost definitely get EAP as I expect the price to be reasonable for what you get.

What? I thought FSDC was announced last year and everyone was expecting the Model 3 to be delivered to your house autonomously! Is that not the case?
You need an emoji to go with your post
And the emoji that I included with my post didn't show up. ;) (<<< that is what I intended to include with my post!)

Sorry, I was just making the point that when one make a post intended to be funny or ironic, an emoji is helpful to ensure the post is properly understood.

Back to the topic...that Tesla is offering the FSDC option before the software is released and owners can actually use it speaks to Elon's confidence in it becoming reality in the near future. I'm sure many on TMC recall that it took a year for Tesla to release the first version of AP after it was announced in October 2014. During that year Elon took a lot of heat for the delay but he hung in there and now AP is working very well: not perfect yet, but quite impressive in my opinion.

The initial releases of FSDC are going to have to be managed on a state-by-state and country-by-country basis because the laws vary so much. It's going to be messy. People are going to be constantly driving from one locality where it is legal to use to another locality where it is not legal. The software will have to use the car's GPS to know where it can operate legally, and Tesla will have to design the interface to properly inform the driver, or in cases where no driver is required, inform the passenger that it cannot go to a certain destination because the law at that destination does not allow it.

I wonder if they can justify different EAP/FSD prices between the 3 and the S/X. That'd be like Netflix charging you by the size of your TV.

You can kind of understand, but it feels...off.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Best example is probably Uber. Uber will get you to point A to B no matter what, but it costs 3x as much if you decide to do it in luxury.

The reason I think it makes sense, is because while you're experience EAP/FSD you'd be doing it in a far more luxurious environment in an S or X than a 3. More comfortable seating, space, better sound/audio, better views, more complex windshields, better infotainment, and all that fun stuff. It's a completely different experience than doing it on a 3 I imagine.

They may not have "level 5" FSD capability working, but perhaps something between level 3 and 4. Still a useful feature for many people.

According to its current Web page:

"...The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat..."

That sounds like the driver seat still have to be occupied just like Autopilot does.

However, the following seems to describe a driverless ride hailing service:

"...Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year..."

According to its current Web page:

"...The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat..."

That sounds like the driver seat still have to be occupied just like Autopilot does.

However, the following seems to describe a driverless ride hailing service:

"...Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year..."

Tesla expects it will work "in almost all circumstances". So Tesla's "Full Self Driving" is actually "Mostly Full Self Driving", depending on the environment. The industry will slowly improve autonomous driving to the level of a person, but along the way I wonder how auto makers will individually brand their tech's distinguishing advantages. After all, if one FSD tech can work in more environments and circumstances than another, then how would that be communicated as a feature to sell? A prospective buyer may just have a route where one so-called "FSD" car happens to work where another so-called "FSD" car will not.

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Full Self Driving has been kind of a KickStarter program with Tesla.

They offer a significant discount for those that pre order, and put them first in like when the advances roll out.

I believe that Elon thought the FSD roll out would be quicker, but the reality is that they are kind of reinventing this technology, and while it might take some time to be fully developed, it will be awesome and a life altering event for many of us. And it will be Tesla that has accomplished it, while many say it simply can not be done.

My decision will come down to cost. $8k for EAP/FSD is pretty pricey on a $35k car (23%). $5k would probably get me to pull the trigger. Once it gets over that I'll have to think about it. I'll almost definitely get EAP as I expect the price to be reasonable for what you get.
Another way to think of it is $8k for road-attention-free long commuting.
For a 30min drive between home and work X 2 X 260 work days/yr, that'd be about $30 per round-trip commute or $10 per round-trip commute over 3 years. How much is your time worth?
I suppose you could be telecommuting from your car during the trip. Perhaps you could make use of that 15" LCD by mirroring your smart phone display to it and using a wireless keyboard to get work done.

Full Self Driving has been kind of a KickStarter program with Tesla.

They offer a significant discount for those that pre order, and put them first in like when the advances roll out.

I believe that Elon thought the FSD roll out would be quicker, but the reality is that they are kind of reinventing this technology, and while it might take some time to be fully developed, it will be awesome and a life altering event for many of us. And it will be Tesla that has accomplished it, while many say it simply can not be done.
Get real. No one that follows that tech says it can't be done - ultimately. The real problem is going to be how they are going to explain the differences in the various iterations of "FSD" (which aren't yet really FSD).

The cars all have the hardware and software already. $8000 to change a 0 to a 1 in the computer. $10,000 if you do it later. Screw that noise!

Tesla gains autopilot intelligence from learning as we drive our cars. If Tesla is not paying for my vehicles' intelligence, I'll get some black vinyl electrical tape and tape over all the vehicle cameras as soon as I get my 3. They ain't using MY car as their guinea pig!

Tesla should have a plan where for $100 a month, you can try the autopilot. Try before you buy, don't dump $8000 on something you might find you don't really like or need.

Plus, the autopilot will obey speed laws, so right there, it wouldn't be any fun for me.