Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Full Self Driving Level 5 Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General comment:

I have not posted the responses above to be superior, to try to contradict anyone, to try to prove my worth, etc. in any way. I used to have many of the same mindsets that many of you have posted in this thread. One day I posted one of the summary charts for the 5 different levels and thought "man, this really is very vague / open to interpretation, etc.". Knowing that the SAE is made up of, duh, Engineers and being one by classical education, I knew this couldn't be the case. So a-searching I went. I was able to, as I posted above, download the whole J3106 paper and spend some quality time reading it.

At first, I got lost in the endless loop of definitions. Definitions upon definitions upon definitions. Once I got through those, and read the text of the premise, it made much more sense.

I would urge all of you, if you are truly interested, to download the paper and spend time reading it. It's not light reading. It's a technical paper. You need to read all the words and understand how they fit together. You can't skim it. As one of my old bosses said to me a long time ago "all of those notes aren't on the plan for the hell of it, read 'em". If you take some time to read through it, it makes sense.

I hope what I posted in previous posts helps clarify.

I want to echo what Needsdecaf wrote.

When I first tried to understand the SAE levels, they seemed really complicated. I had folks on this forum correcting me all the time. I think part of the problem is that there is lot of misinformation out there. There are articles written by "journalists" who try to make it is simple for "regular people" but actually get it wrong. I see articles all the time that get the levels very wrong.

I am not saying I am an expert. But after reading the SAE document in detail and really putting it all together, I can say the SAE levels make a lot more sense to me now than they used it. Now, I feel like the SAE levels are very clear and really great ways to classify autonomous driving.

General comment:

I have not posted the responses above to be superior, to try to contradict anyone, to try to prove my worth, etc. in any way. I used to have many of the same mindsets that many of you have posted in this thread. One day I posted one of the summary charts for the 5 different levels and thought "man, this really is very vague / open to interpretation, etc.". Knowing that the SAE is made up of, duh, Engineers and being one by classical education, I knew this couldn't be the case. So a-searching I went. I was able to, as I posted above, download the whole J3106 paper and spend some quality time reading it.

At first, I got lost in the endless loop of definitions. Definitions upon definitions upon definitions. Once I got through those, and read the text of the premise, it made much more sense.

I would urge all of you, if you are truly interested, to download the paper and spend time reading it. It's not light reading. It's a technical paper. You need to read all the words and understand how they fit together. You can't skim it. As one of my old bosses said to me a long time ago "all of those notes aren't on the plan for the hell of it, read 'em". If you take some time to read through it, it makes sense.

I hope what I posted in previous posts helps clarify.

When do you think the Tesla Full Self Driving software will reach Level 5 autonomy?

2027-2030, thereabouts, and with a wildly different sensor suite than we see in our current cars, and I still doubt it'll be truly "level 5" at that point. But by then I imagine we'll be able to sleep in the car while it drives us places in most conditions.

In the USA, you can get a normal driver's license without speaking or understanding English, so understanding / responding to an officer's instructions shouldn't be a requirement for level 5.

Also, if the weather forecast recommends people to avoid driving (snow storm, too much snow, hurricaine, etc.), I wouldn't expect a level 5 car to drive either.

With these in mind, I'd say Tesla will achieve level 5 with average human level reliability by the end of this year, for sure.

What happened to Level 5 in 6 months? which has only 3 months left? Backpeddling much?

Reactions: diplomat33 and KJD
I LOVE predictions! Ok. Ok. I have read ALL of Elon's tweets. I have consulted with SAE (well, sent them numerous emails). I have read back issues of Motortrend, Road and Track, AND Lampoon. The answer is clear. Tesla will SKIP level 5 and go to level 7B! By mid-year. Or later this year. Or early next year. There will be a free recall for all of us to update for level 7B: remove the steering wheel and displays (fewer parts to fail); make both front seats "swivel" to encourage rear passenger inclusion into conversations (a REAL previously unaddressed serious problem); free "carry-handle" refrigerator given to us so we can bring sandwiches to fill idle time (no ICE pun intended); and finally a bucket of black paint/paint roller to remove those pesky lane markings. ONE last prediction: on new Teslas, the cost of FSD will go DOWN to $15.42 (I know an insider working near a Tesla factory)

I believe we Tesla owners have not been delusional enough in believing that FSD will reach SpaceX levels of auto-matty.