Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Has anyone installed the HomeLink system through Tesla?
I’m trying to find out if I can remotely open my garage doors from the app. I read a post that mentioned that the car needs to be in the garage and then it will work but it also said the car needs the Summons feature.
I have a SR+ with no AP or FSD
Would love to hear from anyone who has installed the system and if you’re happy with it before I purchase one.
Thank you!

...remotely open my garage doors from the app...

That option was not available on the app until a recent update.

I don't have the need for it because my Chamberlain garage opener has its own app that I can operate my garage door from anywhere in the world that has internet access.

For those who don't have Chamberlain app, I guess Tesla app is a welcome feature but as you mentioned, your car needs to be at the proximity of the garage for it to work.

...it also said the car needs the Summons feature...

Would you provide the link, please?

Homelink should work without Summon, Autopilot, and FSD.

...if you’re happy with it...

Yes. It's a technology addiction that keeps increasing in dose. I used to be happy with manually getting in and out of my car to manually pull the garage door open and close myself. Then, I got addicted to just pushing the remote control instead of getting in and out of my car. Then, with Tesla, I don't even have to push any button to close when I leave and when I come back!

Just bought one yesterday, they're on sale for only $29 so definitely worth trying at that price. Bought mine through Lift Master so I know its compatible and my opener is set up for them.
Do you know if each door requires one unit or will it open multiple doors?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Not sure if it was answered with the digression to the different garage door openers and such.

Yes, it does work the way you questioned. For example, I was locked out my house the other day when I got home, and stood in the driveway for a minute and realized the M3 could open the garage door. I went to the app and used the homelink in the car to open the door so I could get inside the garage and then into my house.

...remotely open my garage doors from the app...
...i do not have a homelink option in the app...

Sorry that I didn't realize that this thread is not about whether Homelink can work from the car's screen without FSD but it's about whether it can work from Tesla APP without FSD!

So according to @Gizmo35, to have a HomeLink button on your app, you need to have Summon function.

RBgsCzi.jpg

Specific to davecal, if you have Tesla install a homelink in your car you will not be able to open your garage door from the Tesla app since you do not have FSD nor EAP. I have homelink and only basic Autopilot. I do not have the homelink button on my Tesla app like in the screenshot from Tam. Homelink will do all the other stuff like open and close your garage automatically based on GPS position while you are driving the car.

Thank you, I think that answers my question, sounds like I can’t remotely open my garage door while traveling even if the M3 is my garage. I ordered the myQ unit from Lift Master so I’ll give that a try, hey, only $29 and that’s cheap enough to give it a try and it got decent reviews.
Thanks to all of your for the help

Thank you, I think that answers my question, sounds like I can’t remotely open my garage door while traveling even if the M3 is my garage. I ordered the myQ unit from Lift Master so I’ll give that a try, hey, only $29 and that’s cheap enough to give it a try and it got decent reviews.
Pretty sure you've got this right. Your Tesla can open the garage door, but only if the car itself is parked close enough to act like a garage door opener AND you are within Summon range.

Pretty sure you've got this right. Your Tesla can open the garage door, but only if the car itself is parked close enough to act like a garage door opener AND you are within Summon range.
I only have basic AP so the only thing I can verify is that if you don’t have FSD or EAP the button is not on the Tesla app on my phone. Someone with one of those will have to answer about the above.

I think Amazon had it for $18 yesterday, not sure if the price reduction remains.

I had homelink installed a few months back and love it. We have a community gate and a garage door that dont like the same kind of remotes so its nice to have it all in one spot. the GPS works nicely for both as well. Just be aware if you buy it online they probably will never call you to set up an appointment. Youll have to do it yourself through the app.