Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave 1 day to schedule delivery and then cancelled order, contract says we have 3 days. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered our Model Y Long Range on 6/16/2021 at 52.5k base price. Estimated delivery was originally September 2021 but they kept delaying at no fault of ours. Finally, estimated delivery landed on late December and we planned a vacation to Colorado at that time so we put it on hold until 1/1 as that was the day that we would return. On 12/2, Tesla emailed us to release hold or they would cancel order so we released the hold on 12/8 expecting a January delivery date. On 12/9 at 7:32 PM, they notified us through text that car was ready and VIN was assigned. We called them on 12/10 afternoon to delay the order due to our prior vacation plans and they told to have someone else take delivery for us and talk to our local sales manager. We emailed and called our local sales manager but he didn't respond. Contract says we have 3 days from when they notify us that car is ready to schedule delivery so we planned to schedule on 12/11 after my son's ACT because we didn't want to stress him out before his big exam. However, at 8:41 PM on 12/10 night, they said to take delivery by tonight or car would move on to next customer. I already was asleep by this time as I had to wake up early the next morning to drop my son for his ACT exam and didn't see the message. By 12/11 morning, within 40 hours of the first notification, we received a text that the car moved on to next customer and our order was automatically placed on hold until April 2022. One week later, they automatically cancelled the order without telling us. When we called, they claimed that they gave us 3 days to schedule delivery and we didn't respond to their messages when we actually did reply to their email notifications and leave multiple messages to our local sales advisor. This was supposed to be a gift for my son to drive to school. Now, he has a parking pass for school but no car and he is very disappointed. What should we do? We have screenshots proving that we had less than 40 hours to schedule delivery and our order was automatically placed on hold on 12/11. We also have proof that we replied to both of their email notifications and that our local sales manager didn't reach out to us or respond to our calls and emails.

Perhaps you have been caught up in the mess where thousands of buyers declined deliveries, prefering to defer them till after Jan 1 to get expected Tax Credits.

Tesla has no place to store all these deferred cars, so has notified buyers that if they do not take delivery when the cars are ready at the delivery centers, they will deliver them to the next person in line. What else do you think they could do?

Upvote 0
Perhaps you have been caught up in the mess where thousands of buyers declined deliveries, prefering to defer them till after Jan 1 to get expected Tax Credits.

Tesla has no place to store all these deferred cars, so has notified buyers that if they do not take delivery when the cars are ready at the delivery centers, they will deliver them to the next person in line. What else do you think they could do?
Yes, but according to the agreement, we have 3 days or 72 hours to schedule delivery but they gave us less than 40 hours. They are claimed that they gave 3 days when they didn't and they are also saying that we didn't reply to their notifications when we did.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Upvote 0
Yes, but according to the agreement, we have 3 days or 72 hours to schedule delivery but they gave us less than 40 hours. They are claimed that they gave 3 days when they didn't and they are also saying that we didn't reply to their notifications when we did.
Sounds pretty shady on Tesla's part.

Nobody here is going to be able to provide you any sort of relief. Escalate with Tesla - local service center, chat , phone - and stick with the facts. Whether or not your son has a parking pass but no car is immaterial and distracting. Relay the time line, with the text messages and calls including who you spoke with. If you're not getting anywhere, contact a lawyer.

Upvote 0
...What should we do?...

Unfortunately, it also states on the agreement:

"Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee."

What it says are the worst penalties that anyone, you, the court, the most expensive lawyer that your hire... can impose on Tesla is the refund of $250 that you have paid so far.

That penalty does not include forcing Tesla to provide you with another sooner delivery date.

I wish Tesla would be nicer to its customers. It's not an excuse but it's pretty much a profit-driven company right now.

Reactions: morbidz
Upvote 0
Just contact your SA. At the end of quarters everyone in sales are running around like headless chickens. When we got ours we got a few contradicting texts too. They apparently moved our pick up location, then it disappeared and we missed this or that date, etc etc. Get a hold of your SA and get the 411.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it also states on the agreement:

"Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee."

What it says are the worst penalties that anyone, you, the court, the most expensive lawyer that your hire... can impose on Tesla is the refund of $250 that you have paid so far.

That penalty does not include forcing Tesla to provide you with another sooner delivery date.

I wish Tesla would be nicer to its customers. It's not an excuse but it's pretty much a profit-driven company right now.
Our problem isn't about the delivery date but that they cancelled our order when we payed nearly 7,000 dollars less after taxes and we waited six months. Could we have them give us the car for the price that we ordered? Thank you

Upvote 0
Our problem isn't about the delivery date but that they cancelled our order when we payed nearly 7,000 dollars less after taxes and we waited six months. Could we have them give us the car for the price that we ordered? Thank you

You can try to see if Tesla would comply, but again when Tesla does something wrong and breached the agreement, the worst penalty is that it will pay whatever amount that you paid to Tesla.

Upvote 0
Clarification: our order was cancelled altogether and it is gone from our account. When we called them, they said they couldn't do anything about it and our only options were to either order another car or look at the existing inventory, both of which will cost us about 7,000 dollars more than our original order when you take taxes into account. Also, our only upgrade was white interior so it is nearly impossible to find that configuration in existing inventory so we would likely have to wait close to a year and pay 7,000 more to get the car again.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Upvote 0
Clarification: our order was cancelled altogether and it is gone from our account. When we called them, they said they couldn't do anything about it and our only options were to either order another car or look at the existing inventory, both of which will cost us about 7,000 dollars more than our original order when you take taxes into account. Also, our only upgrade was white interior so it is nearly impossible to find that configuration in existing inventory so we would likely have to wait close to a year and pay 7,000 more to get the car again.
I would say that is just plain wrong that it happened to you. I am sympathetic to what you've gone through.

You can hire a lawyer but they will first read the Agreement to see what are the penalties when Tesla does something wrong. Even if the lawyer takes your case, it might cost more than $7,000 and lots of your time and frustration too.

Thus, I can only feel sorry for you but there's not much else that I can do for you.

Reactions: Corndart
Upvote 0
It is a sad situation but you could probably blame all your friends tha.t are 9k ahi go the deferral game. They want their locked in cheaper price and their cake taking delivery after 1/1 and even some on a specific date. Tesla builds cars t9 order. They are flooded with all these people playing the game. They brought it on themselves but sadly they have no place to store these cars while the games are played.

As mentioned above, you will be lucky to get anywhere other than maybe your $250 back.

Upvote 0
It is a sad situation but you could probably blame all your friends tha.t are 9k ahi go the deferral game. They want their locked in cheaper price and their cake taking delivery after 1/1 and even some on a specific date. Tesla builds cars t9 order. They are flooded with all these people playing the game. They brought it on themselves but sadly they have no place to store these cars while the games are played.

As mentioned above, you will be lucky to get anywhere other than maybe your $250 back.
It’s true

Upvote 0
Sir, have you tried to go to the SC and speak with the Store Leader (or Manager) ? The closer you get to human contact with Tesla the better (in my experience) it gets. You are in the right and the cost externally to right the right makes no sense so I would try that. When my delivery was going sideways I actually found a Tesla Executive on LinkedIN, connected and had a human discussion about the situation. That person actually phoned the Store Manager who was off and golfing at the time and gave him some instructions which aligned with my expectations/wishes and it worked out perfectly. Try finding a Regional Manager (who the store Manager reports to) via social media and see if that gets you anywhere. You are caught up in the KAFKA automated systems of Tesla which show no mercy. There are well documented stories back over the months of people finding and connecting with Tesla leadership and getting real resolution. One example was similar to yours and the person got the car at the old price after some rational discussion. In the end, I believe Tesla folks DO give a rip and like the Apple folks who probably do as well, they are all caught up in the automated BORG that they work for. My entire delivery situation was a cluster F until I decided to drive to the store and speak with humans. I got a few different stories about the delays (and why they were holding my car while I was staring at it) for another week or so when I would then be in Europe and logic prevailed. If you have tried this including escalating outside of the SC leadership then hopefully this post is help for anyone else that gets caught up in the fray.

Reactions: Electricfan
Upvote 0
Sucks it happened. Unfortunately nothing you can really do. Tesla makes the rules and we have to follow if we want the vehicle. You can blame all the people delaying there order in hopes of a tax credit. Tesla is in he business of making money and high end of quarter numbers. part of me doesn’t blame Tesla for canceling the ordered of the people playing this game. Just sucks you got caught up in it

Upvote 0
Sir, have you tried to go to the SC and speak with the Store Leader (or Manager) ? The closer you get to human contact with Tesla the better (in my experience) it gets. You are in the right and the cost externally to right the right makes no sense so I would try that. When my delivery was going sideways I actually found a Tesla Executive on LinkedIN, connected and had a human discussion about the situation. That person actually phoned the Store Manager who was off and golfing at the time and gave him some instructions which aligned with my expectations/wishes and it worked out perfectly. Try finding a Regional Manager (who the store Manager reports to) via social media and see if that gets you anywhere. You are caught up in the KAFKA automated systems of Tesla which show no mercy. There are well documented stories back over the months of people finding and connecting with Tesla leadership and getting real resolution. One example was similar to yours and the person got the car at the old price after some rational discussion. In the end, I believe Tesla folks DO give a rip and like the Apple folks who probably do as well, they are all caught up in the automated BORG that they work for. My entire delivery situation was a cluster F until I decided to drive to the store and speak with humans. I got a few different stories about the delays (and why they were holding my car while I was staring at it) for another week or so when I would then be in Europe and logic prevailed. If you have tried this including escalating outside of the SC leadership then hopefully this post is help for anyone else that gets caught up in the fray.
Thank you so much, this is a bit relieving. If possible, would you be able to tell me what the example is where someone had a similar situation so I could follow their steps? Thank you so much

Upvote 0
There was a user named Sam many months ago in the 2021 refresh waiting room thread that got joy including them honouring his original price. Unfortunately it is thousands of posts ago and I only recall going through it at the time. Bottom line is go visit the store, speak with the Store Manager and if no joy ask for the Regional Manager contact. There are reports of people being told ‘they are not customer facing’ as a blocker but you will have to advocate in person if you want any chance of resolution. If you are on LinkedIn just do a search for Tesla and Jacksonville or Florida and see what comes up. That is how I made contact and once I was speaking with humans directly, it was a far better outcome. Good luck 🤞

Upvote 0