Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave my car away to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Luso7 - Have you heard anything definitive from Tesla yet on a delivery date ?
@Luso7 - Have you heard anything definitive from Tesla yet on a delivery date ?

my rep is back to work tomorrow. The holding pattern I’m in now is , my second PRESENTED vin that was in my account page disappeared, but it’s still in the source code. My delivery date of tomorrow is now off my account and it says the standard BS “2 weeks from order date” line. I have absolutely no indication of any delivery date. I’m most likely waiting with everyone else for several weeks

Other manufacturers may provide a better overall customer service experience. But until they have something to match Tesla's supercharger network I would not feel comfortable buying a non-Tesla EV.

Eventually the rest of the auto industry will figure it out, but who knows how many years from now that will be. While Tesla is beginning to roll out their V3 supercharger network, others are trying to get third parties to roll out an infrastructure to work on any EV, which is having limited success so far.

Other manufacturers may provide a better overall customer service experience. But until they have something to match Tesla's supercharger network I would not feel comfortable buying a non-Tesla EV.

Eventually the rest of the auto industry will figure it out, but who knows how many years from now that will be. While Tesla is beginning to roll out their V3 supercharger network, others are trying to get third parties to roll out an infrastructure to work on any EV, which is having limited success so far.

If I had to guess, they will quickly strike some IP agreement to all use the same standard. It’s chaos not to - every manufacturer can’t be dumping capital into their own proprietary charging network. They stand to benefit from working together

everyone accepts gas the same way and can go to any gas station. Every computer takes USB inputs. I’m sure they will go universal on charging over time as well

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferH

Agreed, the supercharger network is top notch and hard to beat.

I have found in my own personal life, I only do a Supercharger required trip once a year if that. And because I am lucky to live in EV land, at least one of those routes are already fully covered by high speed chargers of other networks (LA to Vegas). The other route I drive (LA to Phoenix) is only missing one piece which is already under construction at the Quartzite Love’s. They are at least 3 charger stations, which while not great, is at least not the scary “only 1 plug at your critical stop kind”. Electrify America appears to have really ramped up construction in the last year. We will see how well they maintain it I suppose.

I actually want a Tesla CCS adapter so I can use this network and not have to rely on only superchargers.

4C072F9F-B9E9-4409-8FD0-83FE3F31D617.png

I doubt it will be that way when we come to our second.

Well about that.

Today I called to see if I could pick up my car early. Appointment is scheduled for tomorrow but I'll be in the area later today so figured I'd try since the delivery center is about 45 mins from my house.
Person on the phone proceeds to tell me that the rim was scratched during delivery and it won't be fixed until Monday. New delivery appt scheduled for Tuesday.

Fine, I've dealt with Tesla enough to know you're probably never gonna have a smooth delivery experience. No justifications. Tesla has the worst new buying experience hands down.

Oh yea, this is my second Tesla to have this kind of issue. First one (Model S) had a dent that needed to be repaired.

Yet, I love these cars. There should be some official psychosis designated to Tesla owners who succumb to this punishment more than once.

• Funny
Reactions: puppers
Well about that.

Today I called to see if I could pick up my car early. Appointment is scheduled for tomorrow but I'll be in the area later today so figured I'd try since the delivery center is about 45 mins from my house.
Person on the phone proceeds to tell me that the rim was scratched during delivery and it won't be fixed until Monday. New delivery appt scheduled for Tuesday.

Fine, I've dealt with Tesla enough to know you're probably never gonna have a smooth delivery experience. No justifications. Tesla has the worst new buying experience hands down.

Oh yea, this is my second Tesla to have this kind of issue. First one (Model S) had a dent that needed to be repaired.

Yet, I love these cars. There should be some official psychosis designated to Tesla owners who succumb to this punishment more than once.

you know what chaps me about that story? It’s not that they scratched your rim. It’s annoying, but I can accept accidents happen.

it’s the fact you had a scheduled delivery for tomorrow, and if you hadn’t proactively called them, they wouldn’t even have told you the delivery wasn’t happening!! Who knows if they intended to call you. You probably would have driven all the way up there

why not call the customer the second it happens? People plan their lives around this stuff. Tesla just acts like their product is God’s gift to humanity and they don’t give two ****’s about the customer

did you ask if they ever were planning on telling you !??

Reactions: camalaio
did you ask if they ever were planning on telling you !??

Nah, I really got more things going on in my life than to obsess over it. Had I not called and went there for no reason tomorrow, that would have been a different story.

And the really sad part, I would never put up with any of this with another automaker/dealership.

I did search for alternatives before deciding on another Tesla. There really are none that were in my budget. Yes, there are comparably priced alternatives. But I will claim my vanity and admit I couldn't see myself driving around in any of the them.

I can't wait for 2030 to get here so we can at least choose what kind of nonsense we're gonna deal with.

I'm hoping the Mercedes Vision EQS concept makes it to production. Budget be damned, I'm going to pick up a second job at McDonalds to get that.

Nah, I really got more things going on in my life than to obsess over it. Had I not called and went there for no reason tomorrow, that would have been a different story.

And the really sad part, I would never put up with any of this with another automaker/dealership.

I did search for alternatives before deciding on another Tesla. There really are none that were in my budget. Yes, there are comparably priced alternatives. But I will claim my vanity and admit I couldn't see myself driving around in any of the them.

I can't wait for 2030 to get here so we can at least choose what kind of nonsense we're gonna deal with.

I'm hoping the Mercedes Vision EQS concept makes it to production. Budget be damned, I'm going to pick up a second job at McDonalds to get that.

What a coincidence - I just happened to see that prototype in a YouTube video. It does look insane

but agreed - Tesla thankfully has disrupted the market and pulled the other players kicking and screaming. In 10-20 years this sort of frustration won’t be an issue, because there won’t be room to tolerate it

Ordered oct 13 a MSM on black long range

I saw a match in stock a few states away, called up my SC, they matched me to the vin. A day or two later, I got the delivery call to set a date. I chose oct 26. All is good. I was hearing horror stories of 6-10 week waits and I thought I just cheated the system.

I notice the Vin I matched is in the source code but not presenting on the site. No worries yet

I rush to get a connector at a premium on amazon because Tesla’s store is unreliable, I rush to get a contractor and permits for the cabling and install (several hours of work) - I changed vacation plans and changed a bunch of registration papers because my wife wouldn’t be available on delivery day. Got all my docs submitted within two days of the delivery date. There was nothing left to do but take delivery.

yesterday I notice a vin has presented on my account, but it’s not the vin I matched to originally. I look it up and it references a 2020 model (my previous vin I asked them to match for me was a 2019). I contact the SC and they say something akin to “don’t do anything because that may go away” —sounds odd they “thought”
something would happen.

today I get a call and they tell me they gave away the first vin to someone else in another state because it was cheaper for Tesla. Then they matched me to a factory vin of a car that isn’t built. Now my wait may be as late as December. They even explained how they used to truck cars but now they apparently rail them because it’s cheaper.

I moved mountains to take this delivery and make myself available to travel, and they just give it away to a random person. Just a heads up for all of you that are taking deliveries of a vehicle you yourself matched at another location. Their algorithm may screw you over

my account still reads the same delivery date oddly - and the rep told me it’s wrong and there is no way we will be getting a car this weekend and to ignore it. Another problem - people can apparently drive hours to a delivery and not even realize there will be no car there if you happen to miss a call or two.

At first they refused to give me anything - I asked if I will lose my trade in value. They said yes if it’s over 30 days from the quote they provided (which it almost certainly will be) I kept at it and they said they MAY give me something and just placated with emotional mirroring which does nothing for me. I lost money and time planning a bunch of variables around a delivery date and your excuse for it not happening is you gave it to someone else. That’s terrible. It’s one thing if “the truck broke down” “the car had damage” — something of a force majeure nature I can comprehend. To just randomly unassign me from a car when I’ve done all this paperwork and hustle to get things ready is really cold.

highly disappointed in this experience
Bummer, hopefully they do something to make it right.

Well, Ford has a potential Model Y competitor coming out in fall of 2020. We will see how close it really is when they do the reveal of the production car at the LA auto show next month. I don’t know how long wait for a Model 3 competitor. It seems like sedans are passé now like the stations wagons of the past (much to my disappointment). There are a lot of 3 buyers who would have bought the Y instead had it existed, so who knows how much real demand there is for a sedan.

Next year? The only one I've heard of is the Mustang, which is an SUV. So, probably a Model X competitor, probably similar price too.

But neither the Model S nor Model X are the future of Tesla's entry into the mass market. No doubt there will be similar priced/featured competitor for the Model 3/Y, but not for a few years. In the meantime, Tesla will dominate this market. I can't see the Nissan, Chevy, Kia, Hyundai and (maybe) VW making a serious dent in Tesla sales.

Our hope is that Tesla can improve the customer buying experience. A lot of these issues probably stem to Tesla being forced to cut costs. If they can maintain profitability, that pressure should dissipate in the name of customer happiness.

Last edited:
Yes, that one. It is rumored to be a Model Y competitor not an X competitor.

Key Details About Ford’s “Mustang-Inspired” SUV Leak Out | TheDetroitBureau.com

We'll have to wait for the reveal to know for sure. But they are rolling out an SUV, not a crossover like the Model Y. It may be priced similar to the Model Y and have similar performance, but size? Usually, an SUV has a truck-like platform vs. the car platform of a crossover. It also has a body-on-frame vs. the crossover's unibody. It's debatable that the Model X is even an SUV since it is unibody. But it's certainly larger than the Model Y.

Probably Ford is following the same tactic at Tesla, especially if it's smaller like the X. Will the Mustang be able to handle rocky, uneven, muddy etc terrain? Can it really go offload? We'll find out soon.

We'll have to wait for the reveal to know for sure. But they are rolling out an SUV, not a crossover like the Model Y. It may be priced similar to the Model Y and have similar performance, but size? Usually, an SUV has a truck-like platform vs. the car platform of a crossover. It also has a body-on-frame vs. the crossover's unibody. It's debatable that the Model X is even an SUV since it is unibody. But it's certainly larger than the Model Y.

Probably Ford is following the same tactic at Tesla, especially if it's smaller like the X. Will the Mustang be able to handle rocky, uneven, muddy etc terrain? Can it really go offload? We'll find out soon.

I think it is going to be a crossover based on this teaser: The Future Arrives on Nov. 17: Watch Our All-Electric, Mustang-Inspired SUV Take Shape | Ford Media Center

Update - now a delivery date has again populated on my account (no text though?) and I didn’t choose it

the first time I got to choose. This time it just showed up

vin is still in source code but not on page

ordered October 13– November 5 is the delivery date I see. This saga keeps getting more odd

Reactions: dandrewk
Tesla also recently “accidentally” sold the car I was supposed to be picking up this weekend to someone else. Not sure how this happens, or how they are so bad at managing their inventory. What makes things even worse is that I had to figure this out on my own. Noticed the VIN magically disappeared from my account, called to check that my delivery date was still good to go. Was put on 10 mins hold only be told that they no longer had a vehicle for me because it was sold by mistake. Pickup date scheduled for a few days later without there actually being a vehicle available for me and no one reaches out???

The delivery and sales teams apologized to me profusely, but someone else had already taken possession of the vehicle so there was nothing they could do. So far they haven’t offered me any recourse, just apologies, which is great but unfortunately does absolutely nothing for me at this point. I’ve already sold my old vehicle in preparation for receiving my Tesla, and wait times are now 5-9 weeks.

Was super excited about this whole thing, now am having second thoughts.

The delivery and sales teams apologized to me profusely, but someone else had already taken possession of the vehicle so there was nothing they could do. So far they haven’t offered me any recourse, just apologies, which is great but unfortunately does absolutely nothing for me at this point. I’ve already sold my old vehicle in preparation for receiving my Tesla, and wait times are now 5-9 weeks.

Sorry this is happening to you.. Did you tell them you already sold your old car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.