Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave my car away to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I said give me an appointment tomorrow

Got my fingers and toes crossed for you that the inspection goes well.

I picked mines up on Oct 29th. Perfect condition. Been to busy driving, buying accessories, and quoting Tint, PPF and Ceramic coating. Just because you got the car doesn't mean you'll stop spending money.

I got a call today from the area code
Where the center is. I literally said as my first words “tell me the car is delayed 4th time” and they said no it actually arrived today. So I said give me an appointment tomorrow I will cancel my evening plans and come up and get it

Hope it all works out for you today and you have a smooth delivery !!!

How’d it go? Picking up tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Still waiting for them to switch my loan so I’m sure it could all fall a part but i have everything else in place including the delivery appt.

here now. Panel gap on trunk lid. Pretty pronounced, the trunk wouldn’t even close properly. They told me at first my only recourse is to release the vin and wait my turn for the next one in line

I asked nicely if they can make a notation on the account. They said no. Now they are asking a manager.

I’m expecting a no

Same feeling I had before and during this whole process. Just not positive at all. Let’s hope the manager is kind and stands behind an expensive product and agrees to fix a manufacturing defect. I can’t imagine taking a few panels apart to realign could be that costly to a service center ..

here now. Panel gap on trunk lid. Pretty pronounced, the trunk wouldn’t even close properly. They told me at first my only recourse is to release the vin and wait my turn for the next one in line

I asked nicely if they can make a notation on the account. They said no. Now they are asking a manager.

I’m expecting a no

Same feeling I had before and during this whole process. Just not positive at all. Let’s hope the manager is kind and stands behind an expensive product and agrees to fix a manufacturing defect. I can’t imagine taking a few panels apart to realign could be that costly to a service center ..

Good luck!

I’m expecting a no

Can you maybe post a photo of the trunk?

I can’t believe they wouldn’t at least make a notation on the account. That way you could at least get it fixed on your own time. I think Tesla owes you one.

I’m expecting a no

Ugh. So sorry to hear it. That’s ridiculous.

Multiple managers came out and spoke to me. They insisted the gaps were within spec and admitted many cars come with gaps. They said the recourse is to send it back and wait for another vin. They even said if I give this up there’s no guarantee the next car won’t also have a gap

Gaps are considered cosmetic to Tesla and they are not covered by the warranty. My biggest concern was something functionally not working or a leak letting in water.

at first the manager who was showing me the car literally could not close it. He pushed it down over and over. And when you pulled it back up, it was always unlocked. They brought a service tech over who removed some panels inside and pushed the alignment a little bit on the mechanism where the trunk latch is. It now closes consistently. There is still a visible gap on one side of the trunk lid. It is not something you’d notice passing by, but someone scrutinizing a delivery car would see it right away.

they ultimately agreed to put a notation of what I brought up. My fear is if the thing stops closing, or I get water in the trunk, they argue I must have hit the car and the misalignment is not their fault. They assured me all of those situations would be fully covered since they are functional problems and not cosmetic. Those were there defined terms

I asked for what “measurements” are “spec” because they kept insisting it was within their spec. They said it’s 3.5 mm, and my
Gap was 2 mm and change.

I took the car. The people working in person were polite. The drive home was very dark and rainy so I didn’t get to push it. The buying experience was subpar. The car seems great at the moment. It’s exactly as people have described - you forget the problems before delivery when you get to drive it

only one thing freaked me the F out - I turned off autopilot at one point by accident by actually
Turning it off in the menu (which disables it until you park the car , you cannot
Turn it back on) as I slowed down into a toll plaza, the car suddenly sped a little going into it, and aligned the steering into the center. Autopilot was completely disengaged and blocked , I couldn’t turn it on if I wanted to, that was really weird.

later on auto pilot did suddenly turn off with a car that was stopped in the lane next to me. I see the hiccups people refer to. But overall it was very good. I see what everyone is saying about how nice it is to not pay attention to starting and stopping

I asked if they would show me where my supercharger miles were (I had a referral I used) no one showed me- wouldn’t be shocked if I never get it. I also asked if they could show me the notation they put in the system for the gap, they said there was nothing they could give me on paper (I almost bet they didn’t even really write anything- whatever at this point) I mentioned the frunk hooks- they said they don’t provide them anymore and they don’t know if Tesla will ever sell them. They basically admitted - yeah they are trying to save money where they can. I can live without a hook but I do wish the metal there was covered by plastic because water does splash in easily when you open the frunk when it’s
Wet

Looking forward to driving it tomorrow, not
In the rain, and in daylight.

any questions you guys have I’m happy to answer

Last edited:
Reactions: OverEZPZ
Glad to hear you finally got your car, but sad to hear about the trunk lid alignment. When you say the gap was 2 mm and change, does that mean the gap on one side was 2 mm and change larger than the other side ?

I know what you are going through, because my Frunk was badly misaligned on delivery. Tesla delivery guy said within spec and nothing they could do. Body shop saw the alignment issue right away. Finally got Tesla to have the body shop center the Frunk, but it took a few phone calls.

Sounds like we had the same buying experiences, as mine was terrible. You can see your Supercharging status under View Details when signing into your Tesla account online.

Have fun driving your new car tomorrow !!!

Glad to hear you finally got your car, but sad to hear about the trunk lid alignment. When you say the gap was 2 mm and change, does that mean the gap on one side was 2 mm and change larger than the other side ?

I know what you are going through, because my Frunk was badly misaligned on delivery. Tesla delivery guy said within spec and nothing they could do. Body shop saw the alignment issue right away. Finally got Tesla to have the body shop center the Frunk, but it took a few phone calls.

Sounds like we had the same buying experiences, as mine was terrible. You can see your Supercharging status under View Details when signing into your Tesla account online.

this is important info- so you called out the gaps at delivery, they refused to do anything. You took it to a body shop, and suddenly they agreed to do work on it? Can you tell me more on how and why? They seemed to tell me up and down Tesla would not fix this gap at all under any circumstances. They would only fix a functional problem like the trunk not closing shut

Good. Congrats. You got the car!!!!

I would expect that your surprises with the autopilot are due to the sensors getting aligned. I forget how many miles you need, but more than a few.

It sounds like you had a hard experience overall, but you got your wheels home.

this was all after it was finished calibrating. I had a 2 hour drive home. It doesn’t even let you engage autopilot until after it finishes calibrating. So it was sort of odd

forgot to answer your question

the gap Is where the trunk lid meets the rear bumper panel right about where the tail light is. One tail light is perfectly flush. The other sticks out about 2.5 mm. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s quite pronounced when looking at it and looking at the other properly-aligned gap

@Luso7 Well not exactly the hoped “smooth transaction” I mentioned above, but you got the car home.

“The buying experience was subpar. The car seems great at the moment. It’s exactly as people have described - you forget the problems before delivery when you get to drive it” That’s the most important thing, perhaps the only important thing. Here’s hoping you continue to think that way.

You mentioned driving home in the rain. How was the automatic, rain sensing wipers? When you got home, any water in the trunk?

Auto wipers were ok, I turned it off to one of the lighter settings as the rain slowed. Nothing remarkable I noticed.

no water I could see in the trunk. That was the first thing I checked. Water does get in the trunk when you open it (from it pouring down the lid towards the windshield) there was a lot of splashed water around the perimeter of the frunk opening, but not in the trunk itself. I think it’s intended to operate that way and flow down to the front

this is important info- so you called out the gaps at delivery, they refused to do anything. You took it to a body shop, and suddenly they agreed to do work on it? Can you tell me more on how and why? They seemed to tell me up and down Tesla would not fix this gap at all under any circumstances. They would only fix a functional problem like the trunk not closing shut

My Model 3 was delivered with multiple paint defects, trim alignment issues and the Frunk misalignment. The Delivery Advisor didn't have an issue in adding the paint defects to my "Due Bill", but absolutely refused to add the misaligned frunk. When I asked why, his only answer was always "it's within spec". Informed him all the other Model 3s had perfectly aligned frunks and still the answer was "it's within spec". He then told me Tesla only sends them cars which are ready to be delivered, so if Tesla sent them the car, then it "was within spec". Overall, a terrible delivery experience and having to inspect the car and take delivery outside in the rain and wind, it was very difficult for me to spot all the defects.

I accepted the car, because I thought I would not get a replacement before the 12/31/2018 date in order to receive the full Federal Tax Credit (I took delivery on 12/5/18). Called the delivery center to complain several times and was finally transferred to service. I finally got a very nice, customer service friendly lady to help me. She told me to contact the NorCalConcerns email to complain, and said they would defer to the Tesla Approved body shop to make the final judgement. I already had a consult appointment with the approved body shop because of all the paint issues.

Went to the body shop the following week and the service advisor that was assigned to me noticed the misaligned frunk right away. She wasn't surprised by how bad it was, as they had been fixing a lot of body issues with brand new cars. She did say it was one of the worst she has seen though and it was clearly noticeable, even to a casual observer. She told me she would contact Tesla and make sure it was fixed on their dime. She was the body shop's Tesla liaisons and the delivery/service center was just down the street and around the corner.

After a 2.5 month wait for the next available body shop opening, I finally got the car back 2 weeks later and it looked better than on delivery day. The body shop told me almost 50% of the car had to be resprayed because of all the scratches, gouges, imbedded sand, swirls and paint discoloration spots. Also, the frunk was perfectly aligned when I got the car back !!! Looking at the final write up for all the work performed, I saw the labor for the frunk alignment was only listed at 30 or 45 minutes (can't remember the exact time, but it was less than 1 hour).

After living through this experience, my wife asked me why I would want to go through that all over again, when I told her I was going to order the 2020 Tesla Roadster. She isn't against getting the roadster if we could inspect it first without giving Tesla the $50,000 down payment. If I do decide to get one, I'll probably just get a pre-owned one that I can inspect first....

If the trunk alignment is bad enough to lose sleep over, I would be persistent with Tesla. But, I would also be polite and speak to them with respect and courtesy. Having been on the receiving end of some ugly calls from angry people at work, being polite can go a long way......

Good Luck and have fun with the new car !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.