Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gave my car away to someone else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Model 3 was delivered with multiple paint defects, trim alignment issues and the Frunk misalignment. The Delivery Advisor didn't have an issue in adding the paint defects to my "Due Bill", but absolutely refused to add the misaligned frunk. When I asked why, his only answer was always "it's within spec". Informed him all the other Model 3s had perfectly aligned frunks and still the answer was "it's within spec". He then told me Tesla only sends them cars which are ready to be delivered, so if Tesla sent them the car, then it "was within spec". Overall, a terrible delivery experience and having to inspect the car and take delivery outside in the rain and wind, it was very difficult for me to spot all the defects.

I accepted the car, because I thought I would not get a replacement before the 12/31/2018 date in order to receive the full Federal Tax Credit (I took delivery on 12/5/18). Called the delivery center to complain several times and was finally transferred to service. I finally got a very nice, customer service friendly lady to help me. She told me to contact the NorCalConcerns email to complain, and said they would defer to the Tesla Approved body shop to make the final judgement. I already had a consult appointment with the approved body shop because of all the paint issues.

Went to the body shop the following week and the service advisor that was assigned to me noticed the misaligned frunk right away. She wasn't surprised by how bad it was, as they had been fixing a lot of body issues with brand new cars. She did say it was one of the worst she has seen though and it was clearly noticeable, even to a casual observer. She told me she would contact Tesla and make sure it was fixed on their dime. She was the body shop's Tesla liaisons and the delivery/service center was just down the street and around the corner.

After a 2.5 month wait for the next available body shop opening, I finally got the car back 2 weeks later and it looked better than on delivery day. The body shop told me almost 50% of the car had to be resprayed because of all the scratches, gouges, imbedded sand, swirls and paint discoloration spots. Also, the frunk was perfectly aligned when I got the car back !!! Looking at the final write up for all the work performed, I saw the labor for the frunk alignment was only listed at 30 or 45 minutes (can't remember the exact time, but it was less than 1 hour).

After living through this experience, my wife asked me why I would want to go through that all over again, when I told her I was going to order the 2020 Tesla Roadster. She isn't against getting the roadster if we could inspect it first without giving Tesla the $50,000 down payment. If I do decide to get one, I'll probably just get a pre-owned one that I can inspect first....

If the trunk alignment is bad enough to lose sleep over, I would be persistent with Tesla. But, I would also be polite and speak to them with respect and courtesy. Having been on the receiving end of some ugly calls from angry people at work, being polite can go a long way......

Good Luck and have fun with the new car !!!

great advice, will try. Thank you

Multiple managers came out and spoke to me. They insisted the gaps were within spec and admitted many cars come with gaps. They said the recourse is to send it back and wait for another vin. They even said if I give this up there’s no guarantee the next car won’t also have a gap

Gaps are considered cosmetic to Tesla and they are not covered by the warranty. My biggest concern was something functionally not working or a leak letting in water.

at first the manager who was showing me the car literally could not close it. He pushed it down over and over. And when you pulled it back up, it was always unlocked. They brought a service tech over who removed some panels inside and pushed the alignment a little bit on the mechanism where the trunk latch is. It now closes consistently. There is still a visible gap on one side of the trunk lid. It is not something you’d notice passing by, but someone scrutinizing a delivery car would see it right away.

they ultimately agreed to put a notation of what I brought up. My fear is if the thing stops closing, or I get water in the trunk, they argue I must have hit the car and the misalignment is not their fault. They assured me all of those situations would be fully covered since they are functional problems and not cosmetic. Those were there defined terms

I asked for what “measurements” are “spec” because they kept insisting it was within their spec. They said it’s 3.5 mm, and my
Gap was 2 mm and change.

I took the car. The people working in person were polite. The drive home was very dark and rainy so I didn’t get to push it. The buying experience was subpar. The car seems great at the moment. It’s exactly as people have described - you forget the problems before delivery when you get to drive it

only one thing freaked me the F out - I turned off autopilot at one point by accident by actually
Turning it off in the menu (which disables it until you park the car , you cannot
Turn it back on) as I slowed down into a toll plaza, the car suddenly sped a little going into it, and aligned the steering into the center. Autopilot was completely disengaged and blocked , I couldn’t turn it on if I wanted to, that was really weird.

later on auto pilot did suddenly turn off with a car that was stopped in the lane next to me. I see the hiccups people refer to. But overall it was very good. I see what everyone is saying about how nice it is to not pay attention to starting and stopping

I asked if they would show me where my supercharger miles were (I had a referral I used) no one showed me- wouldn’t be shocked if I never get it. I also asked if they could show me the notation they put in the system for the gap, they said there was nothing they could give me on paper (I almost bet they didn’t even really write anything- whatever at this point) I mentioned the frunk hooks- they said they don’t provide them anymore and they don’t know if Tesla will ever sell them. They basically admitted - yeah they are trying to save money where they can. I can live without a hook but I do wish the metal there was covered by plastic because water does splash in easily when you open the frunk when it’s
Wet

Looking forward to driving it tomorrow, not
In the rain, and in daylight.

any questions you guys have I’m happy to answer

This isn’t going to help Tesla’s lack of service but aligning the trunk is very straight forward. I had to replace mine completely and it took about and hour to remove the old and install the new. Just remove the struts, loosing the 4 bolts and adjust it. So if your like me and can’t stand waiting you can do it yourself.

Just picked up my car. Luckily I had a much easier time. I will say the Springfield location is night and day to Manhattan and not in a good way. I felt more like I was at a Toyota dealership than a Tesla. That being said, the guy I was paired with couldn’t be more friendly and really helped with the excitement. Everything went pretty smoothly considering the disaster it was to simply switch my order over. BIG props to the guys in Manhattan for keeping me informed in the end and staying patient and super friendly. All in all I had a really nice buying experience.

And the car. Oh. My. GOD. The car. No panel gaps. Everything is in top shape. I had one bad scratch on the center console and they took note of it. I got the unicorn. A stealth model 3 performance in my dream trim. As soon as i drove off the lot and hit the acceleration I actually yelled out “WHAT!?!?”

I had a very good day. Hahaha. Just keep walking by the car thinking, ‘how do I own this?’

I mean...aside from the bleeding money part.

They have the wall charger waiting for you?

it was. I was almost scared to mention it anticipating a "yeaaaaaaah about that...." moment --- as I was going through docs a smiling associate walked up with the box and offered to put it in the trunk for me.

only downside is today I also realized the trunk is misaligned and there were some small paint blemishes. I couldn't see in the dark and rain last night. I am probably just going to get stuck with. these

drove the car a little in the day time. the acceleration in the Long Range dual motor is insane. it brings a smile to your face. I can not fathom what the hell the performance model does, I almost don't want to know. I would be getting tickets constantly.//getting acclimated to using the one pedal and it's becoming second nature. the autopilot is quirky, but I hear the 10 update smooths a lot of it out. by the way, I chatted Tesla's customer support on the website and begged them to push me the update, they refused. they said they are not able to do that - (even though several people and YouTube videos say they do just that) then they said "if it's not pushed in 2 weeks reach out again" and I said "what happens after 2 weeks, you can then push it to me?" and she said "no"

what is the point of even saying that then?

I truly don't like the randomized rolling updates. I bought a brand new car built 2 weeks ago and I am on software from this past summer, missing a bunch of critical features. I understand randomizing it the first week or two because of server congestion. but after a month and a half people should be able to push the update like an iPhone. just stupid that I have to sit here waiting to get lucky

we will see how it goes -- all in all, purchasing and delivery experience sucked, they basically will not fix anything you want.

driving it is amazing, some of the features a little quirky. it is a fun car.

Reactions: K1Woods
I chatted Tesla's customer support on the website and begged them to push me the update, they refused. they said they are not able to do that - (even though several people and YouTube videos say they do just that) then they said "if it's not pushed in 2 weeks reach out again" and I said "what happens after 2 weeks, you can then push it to me?" and she said "no"

What version are you currently on, out of curiosity ?

I have none of the new stuff from V10

Interesting, since V10 has been out for a bit. What is the build date of your car ? I have seen quite a few posts on this forum though, mentioning their cars were delivered with older software versions .

Other than your trunk lid, it sounds like you are enjoying the driving experience of your new 3. Any mods planned for the near future ?

Mine is visiting the SC next week, as my steering wheel is off center. Just noticed it last week after 11 months of ownership.

Open a service ticket in the app that you are not getting updates. They will push it to your car. Worked for me.

so I actually did submit a service request yesterday , I ticked off “software update “ and “accessory installation and upgrades” because I have a homelink module waiting for me at the service center.

it made me select a time and service center. I now have an appointment. It’s not pushing anything to my car/phone and I did this over 24 hours ago

I wonder if I had to set up ONLY a software update request. When you request only that, does it still make you pick a service center? Or does that change the options and knows it’s just a push to your car?

so I actually did submit a service request yesterday , I ticked off “software update “ and “accessory installation and upgrades” because I have a homelink module waiting for me at the service center.

it made me select a time and service center. I now have an appointment. It’s not pushing anything to my car/phone and I did this over 24 hours ago

I wonder if I had to set up ONLY a software update request. When you request only that, does it still make you pick a service center? Or does that change the options and knows it’s just a push to your car?

yes. Went through picking the service center. The update was pushed to me in 24 hours. You may get it soon. Mines was on a weekday, not sure if the weekend makes a difference.

Interesting, since V10 has been out for a bit. What is the build date of your car ? I have seen quite a few posts on this forum though, mentioning their cars were delivered with older software versions .

Other than your trunk lid, it sounds like you are enjoying the driving experience of your new 3. Any mods planned for the near future ?

Mine is visiting the SC next week, as my steering wheel is off center. Just noticed it last week after 11 months of ownership.

car was built 10/21/19 at factory

the only major one I was considering was wrapping the black center console with a matching wood grain look, purely to prevent scratches and dings.

I actually bought the frunk and trunk struts that auto-open, but I ended up returning them. I realized I very rarely will actually use either the trunk and frunk, and I read stories of the struts ending up damaging the lids sometimes. Since both are slightly misaligned I don’t want to screw with it too much

I already got a micro SD and a USB reader and formatted the drive - was a total piece of cake on a Mac. Now my sentry mode and dash cam are backed up.

the only other solution I need is a way to route my phone cable charger. I don’t want a wireless charger - I like being able to move the phone freely while it charges connected physically to the car. Routing it through the rubber mat part is too far away and I couldn’t figure a clean way to do it. I would prefer to connect it In the leather armrest compartment where there is a cigarette lighter input, but I don’t see an opening where the wire can snake through without being pinched. My old car had an opening so wires could be routed out of the armrest

the only other observation I can make having driven it all day - the car is somewhat cramped. I’m coming off an ES350. It’s pretty spacious. I’m almost 6 foot and a larger frame - my legs don’t have much space, and a comfortable seating position has me far back almost touching the back seat. I haven’t quite found that comfortable cruising position yet. We installed a car seat for my 2 year old. The soles of his shoes are literally kicking at the back of the passenger seat the whole ride, not a ton of space. I’m going to need to put some kind of cover on the back of that passenger seat

Last edited:
yes. Went through picking the service center. The update was pushed to me in 24 hours. You may get it soon. Mines was on a weekday, not sure if the weekend makes a difference.

Well I hope mine is on its way. I just went in and checked the appointment time, some slots appeared a day earlier so I grabbed one. Odd how suddenly there were 6 time slots a day earlier than the previously earliest available day (if that’s even logical English)

I really want to play with those new features

the only major one I was considering was wrapping the black center console with a matching wood grain look, purely to prevent scratches and dings

LOL. You sir have more self control than I do. I the week and a half I’ve had mines:

Windows tinted 30%
Aftermarket spoiler
Wrapped console in leather matching other leather.
Wireless charging.
Mud flaps in matching color. White.
Usb drive.

next up:

ceramic coating with ppf in front.
Replace frunk and trunk struts so they auto open. Coming from a model s, opening the trunk manually peeves me.

After that I may be done for a while.

Well I hope mine is on its way. I just went in and checked the appointment time, some slots appeared a day earlier so I grabbed one. Odd how suddenly there were 6 time slots a day earlier than the previously earliest available day (if that’s even logical English)

I really want to play with those new features
Any chance you got the update yet? I too have version 9 and a brand new 2020...I haven’t requested a service yet. Annoyed that I don’t have 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.