Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger - Three Red Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here - new Tesla owner!
Finally got around to having a gen 3 wall charger installed.

Was about a 50 foot run from my panel to the corner of my deck outside.
I understand the red light blinking three times is an overheat error.

I get the error after about a minute of charging, then it charges for about another minute before it shuts down.

The install was setup as follows:
6/3 NM-B (also in 1" conduit outside) (went with 6/3 for future proofing, white wire not connected in panel or charger).
60 Amp Breaker.
Wired from the bottom of unit as shown in instructions.
Torqued to 50 as specified.

In looking into this, I realize the 6/3 shouldn't be used for continuous 48 amps.

I provisioned at 50amps (to account for wire used). I updated firmware as I was having a lot of trouble with accessing the network interface (it was working sporadically, but eventually got the firmware updated) - the firmware (or perhaps reboot) resolved the wifi connectivity issues.

In short, I can only charge at 12amps. Any other setting will cause the overheat condition. I'll add there is no heat or any warmth whatsoever coming from any wires or faceplate. Regardless of any amperage setting other than 12, it's about a minute until the red light starts, and about another 30 seconds before it shuts off.

I did open a case with Tesla, they've asked for pictures of panel, wiring box, etc.

I figured I'd just see if anyone had any defective charger or am I missing something stupid? Many have said the Gen 3 is super straight forward compared to previous versions. The wiring was done by retired electrician (relative).

Anyone have any thoughts or things to check or try while I get everything together for Tesla?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Have you considered called tech support at Tesla? When my building installed mine, I didnt want to pay a gajillion dollars to run new wire from my previous 25 amp L2. So now I charge at 24 amps and easy, peezy. However, the firmware setup and update was a bit of a p.I.t.a., so these guys were terrific. Great advice from them as the electrician had no clue how to set it up.

solved! After reviewing wiring during daylight i found the black wire was a smidge too deep in the terminal block and it had cranked down on a bit of insulation. was enough power to turn the unit on and charge at 12 amps.

reseated the wires per Teslas suggestion and all is perfect. huge props to tesla support for immediately recognizing it was a wiring issue.