Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla getting more dealership like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to find the thread I read recently regarding this issue; however, I can now say I concur. My friend is visiting from Texas and has never heard of Tesla. I praised Tesla saying how they are completely different than other car dealerships (not pushy, etc). I told him I wanted to head up to Seattle to check out some CPO cars and also take him on a test drive. Unfortunately, the website did not allow the easy scheduling of a test drive as it did for me a few months ago; I ended up only getting to see one day (Thursday) which didn't work (and one time slot). The website said if this day did not work to call. I did such and unfortunately had to speak to someone in Seattle.

This individual asked questions and made statements that were not reassuring to me as an investor in Tesla and potential buyer. He asked what type of home my friend had, as charging would be necessary and inconvenient at times if the right type was not owned. He also asked what type of car my friend was currently driving and what made him interested in Tesla. This was after explaining twice that my friend never even heard of Tesla. Overall, I was extremely disappointing with this interaction with Tesla.

Again, the reason I wanted to go to Seattle was to speak to someone about CPO cars and introduce my friend to Tesla; however, I was informed that the lady who takes care of such travels between the stores and her location at that time would be unknown. I was not able to schedule a test drive for my friend -- the individual said he would have to talk to him. I handed over the phone, he talked to him for >5 minutes, hung up and then called his cell phone and again asked many of the same questions again....

Not sure why this happened, but overall, I was not impressed. My friend and I both felt pressured and I felt like an a** who told him wrong information after this interaction.

He also asked if he owned/rented. Completely unnecessary questions and too intrusive of questions for test driving a car... A simple test drive scheduling literally took 30 minutes, compared to the instant scheduling I previously did online for myself.

I'd really like to hear something, anything, from the Ganesh Srivats (Tesla VP North American Sales). I'd like to hear what he believes the policy should be, information on how he's measuring his sales staff (because that drives behavior), etc.

Has anyone had any interaction with him?

I think inquiring about the ability to have charging installed at home is useful. People who can't charge at home generally aren't going to be happy with a Tesla unless they're very enthusiastic about EVs and don't mind a major inconvenience.
I agree such is useful information; however, there is a time and place for this (especially after I raved about how they are so different from conventional dealers). For someone who has never even heard of Tesla before asking such intruding questions was a huge turn off both for my friend and myself. Rather than dealing with me and letting me set up the test drive for the both of us (I offered such after he said he'd have to talk to my friend and still said he couldn't do such without talking to him directly....) Funny thing is I did this with my gf and her uncle 6 months ago in Portland.

I'm surprised they didn't ask his income with all of the other questions he asked....

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdub2015
I think inquiring about the ability to have charging installed at home is useful. People who can't charge at home generally aren't going to be happy with a Tesla unless they're very enthusiastic about EVs and don't mind a major inconvenience.
Working to solve that, so those questions that "turn customers off" will not need to be asked at all!

In the months that I have been reading about the varied experiences that Tesla owners and would be owners have had with the sales staff, I've become convinced that training is a weak link in their process. I am hoping that the preparations for the Model 3 roll out will include a renewed focus on training and enabling the front line staff in both the sales and service departments.

Reactions: Falkirk
In 2013 before becoming an owner I did multiple Model S test drives and was never questioned or in any way "screened".

Of course that was 3 years ago. Earlier this year I did a Model X test drive just for fun and again was not questioned about my motives. Of course the Tesla person I was interacting with knew I was an owner.

In 2013 before becoming an owner I did multiple Model S test drives and was never questioned or in any way "screened".

Of course that was 3 years ago. Earlier this year I did a Model X test drive just for fun and again was not questioned about my motives. Of course the Tesla person I was interacting with knew I was an owner.
This was my experience, too. Very positive experience with the Monterey/Seaside store. Also several years ago, and I was not an owner.
Robin

What does "working toward a demonstration model" mean?
Elon will not look at a piece of paper, or unsupported claims. The ante is a working prototype that Tesla can put instruments on to verify claims.

So "working toward a demonstration model" right now means scaling up the power to a level that is both interesting to Tesla and does not invite competition - because it is hard to do.

The requirement is interesting and also true, demonstrated.

I was asked about charging options during my first call. I had to ICE dance around as I didn't understand the EV lingo. When asked if I rented or owned, it dawned on me that the inquiry was focused on power supply access and he was coming at it from a different direction. I wasn't offended and laughed. Of course, how could I possibly buy an EV without expecting to charge it?

A wide variety of baseline knowledge must walk through Tesla's doors......I was hovering at zero.

Reactions: Jaff and callmesam
I was asked about charging options during my first call. I had to ICE dance around as I didn't understand the EV lingo. When asked if I rented or owned, it dawned on me that the inquiry was focused on power supply access and he was coming at it from a different direction. I wasn't offended and laughed. Of course, how could I possibly buy an EV without expecting to charge it?

A wide variety of baseline knowledge must walk through Tesla's doors......I was hovering at zero.
I still don't like it.
i like what i got when i presented myself at tesla, i asked for a test drive, they told me "ok, tomorrow at 15 is ok for you?" they asked the licence and i was right in the car, and, during the test drive we talked, this is the way to do it.
First you need to try the beauty of the car, once you get "that's a great car!" then, you are more positive to "i'm asking this to help you", not the other way around.