Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla getting ready to roll out a Level 2 Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A key requirement of the job will be to evolving our existing strategy to develop a business model to monetize on the network while keeping the network free to our customers and creating an unparalleled customer experience.

This to me sounds like they want to be able to charge non Tesla cars to monetize... Which works for me (and is what I assumed)

This is interesting and very good to see. Destination charging is where I have the most issues when dealing with my EV on road trips. It is good to see Tesla trying to deal with this issue head-on.

During the past week, we used CS-90 L2s at four overnights and two lunch breaks. Makes for care free traveling.

Agreed. In the long haul destination charging is probably just as important as the expansion of the Supercharging network. It would be great if Tesla could enter into partnerships with various hotel chains to promote destination charging.

Larry

Makes sense because states like New Jersey won't allow Tesla superchargers on their public roads because they are specific to Tesla and not generic. I believe they said all EVs must be able to use it and it couldn't be specific to one brand. I believe Tesla even offered to install chargepoints side by side with the superchargers and they were still denied. Therefore if you want Tesla to have fast chargers in New Jersey on the public highways it has to be done in a way that all EVs can use it.

I also interpret the requirement to monetize the network as fairly open ended. Sounds like they want a thinker that could develop a business model or models that would bring funds in to support Tesla owners having free access to the entire charging network forever. It could be related to charging non-Tesla owners for L2 access and Supercharger access, but it could be something like developing some kind of power partnership with utilities as the solar canopy system is built out over Superchargers and integrating the swap stations as buffer storage on the grid. Or it might be something like integrating the time of use charging capability of the Model S with a smart grid utility system to distribute network load and get compensation from the utilities.

These are totally wild speculations, but I think that is probably the type of thinking Tesla is looking for in trying to figure out a way or ways to monetize the Supercharger and Destination L2 network (and potentially a battery swap station infrastructure if they ever really develop it) they are building out.

This is Tesla moving down a level to move up a level. More destination charging means less Supercharging contention and less coverage needed. It should also nicely put the willies up the competition. Tesla Everywhere.

I see a big challenge though. Free destination charging means more opportunity charging and you could easily end up with cheapskates hogging chargers. So, what the charging model needs is an easy mechanism that ties the use to the business. Get a ticket, get a charge, as it were. That's tough at a location like a mall but OK at others like a parking garage or hotel. Plug in, it displays a number, take a photo with your cell (or note it) enter business, get charger enabled. Or maybe if you have a ticket, you get a barcode that enables the charger that day.

What I also like about this is thinking ahead to Gen 4. I see Gen 4 as entering the mainstream market if the other manufacturers won't license, maybe with the hybrid battery, with cheap non-Supercharging cars. Destinstion charging would be useful for those, and then there's Gen 3 rental for longer trips.

Makes sense because states like New Jersey won't allow Tesla superchargers on their public roads because they are specific to Tesla and not generic. I believe they said all EVs must be able to use it and it couldn't be specific to one brand.
Interesting, and unfortunate.

That prohibition must also have something to do with public access, because it appears that Tesla, for the most part, is not using public land for the Superchargers. Both the WA sites are on private land, and I believe all the OR sites are also on private land. My understanding is that they negotiate with land owners to use a number of parking spaces and then agree to pay all all installation and electricity use costs.

Makes sense because states like New Jersey won't allow Tesla superchargers on their public roads because they are specific to Tesla and not generic. I believe they said all EVs must be able to use it and it couldn't be specific to one brand. I believe Tesla even offered to install chargepoints side by side with the superchargers and they were still denied. Therefore if you want Tesla to have fast chargers in New Jersey on the public highways it has to be done in a way that all EVs can use it.

Yobigd20, how do you know this stuff? I have tried to no avail to contact Tesla about the 0.6 acre lot on Route 1 in Edison that I have that would be perfect for superchargers. Just 2 miles from NJ Turnpike and located next door to a diner open 24/7 with free wifi. Any help would be much appreciated!

Are you all seeing something I'm not? I don't see anything about a Tesla Level 2 network in the attached post. What I see is this, basically supercharging plus trying to drive other people to install chargers:

This position will include the planning and execution of site acquisition, field engineering and construction, installation and maintenance of Supercharger equipment on time and on budget, as well as developing strategic partnerships to drive the deployment of alternative EV chargers separate from the Supercharger network around the globe.

I have been trying to get hotels near me to to install just one 14-50 (or HPWC) and "we'll" help pay for it after the sate has kicked in. So far no dice. To your face they look interested but no follow through from their end.

At the recent Rockford Supercharger opening I talked to corporate to see if I was spinning my wheels. "They" told me that they had already approached a downtown Chicago hotel and were indeed installing an HPWC. I followed up with that hotel and was told they knew nothing about any car charging plans.

Personally I think it would be easier to get a suburban hotel.

So, if their plan is to develop this, no point in us spending the energy. :(

Are you all seeing something I'm not? I don't see anything about a Tesla Level 2 network in the attached post. What I see is this, basically supercharging plus trying to drive other people to install chargers:

This position will include the planning and execution of site acquisition, field engineering and construction, installation and maintenance of Supercharger equipment on time and on budget, as well as developing strategic partnerships to drive the deployment of alternative EV chargers separate from the Supercharger network around the globe.

Hi Greg,

I agree. There is nothing to support that Tesla will be maintaining their own Level 2 network.

Interestingly the position description fails to mention anything about expansion of the Battery Swapping infrastruture. It would be inefficient to have another position responsible for Battery Swapping.

Larry

Last edited:
Interestingly the position description fails to mention anything about expansion of the Battery Swapping infrastruture. It would be inefficient to have another position responsible for Battery Swapping.

Larry

Battery swapping was never a financially realistic solution for broad rollout. That is probably why nobody from TM (including Elon) talks about it any more. Yeah, technically it works. But the cost and logistics don't add up. They let it die quietly.

Battery swapping was never a financially realistic solution for broad rollout. That is probably why nobody from TM (including Elon) talks about it any more. Yeah, technically it works. But the cost and logistics don't add up. They let it die quietly.

Yes, in the short term the Battery Swapping demonstration was merely a marketing checkmark,... You know, fuels twice as fast as gasoline cars, Check.

However, if Tesla is successful in achieving the necessary volumes for the Gen III in the hundreds of thousands per year, when we pull into a Supercharging station we may find there are a dozen Tesla lined up in front of us. In such a scenario I would cheerfully pay as much as a gasoline fill-up for Swapping to jump the line. At such time there probably will be a business case to support what Elon calls additional chargng optionality.

When battery storage is added to Supercharging stations it opens up all sort of interesting new business possibilities when batteries are connected to the grid. Such a large distributed generation network could involve selling some rather profitable ancillary services to local utilities. It would make sense for the person hired to guide the EV infrastructure strategy to also be in on the ground floor of any storage infrastructure expansions that could lead to new revenue streams.

Larry

Last edited:
Larry, that dead horse has already decomposed. Battery swap appears DOA...

Until TM announces a real swap station, it is all theory. In fact, hiring a person to focus on L2 charging seems completely unrelated to battery swap. Totally different focus. That job description is all about Superchargers and L2 charging.

Last edited:
Yes, in the short term the Battery Swapping demonstration was merely a marketing checkmark,... You know, fuels twice as fast as gasoline cars, Check.

However, if Tesla is successful in achieving the necessary volumes for the Gen III in the hundreds of thousands per year, when we pull into a Supercharging station we may find there are a dozen Tesla lined up in front of us. In such a scenario I would cheerfully pay as much as a gasoline fill-up for Swapping to jump the line. At such time there probably will be a business case to support what Elon calls additional chargng optionality.

When battery storage is added to Supercharging stations it opens up all sort of interesting new business possibilities when batteries are connected to the grid. Such a large distributed generation network could involve selling some rather profitable ancillary services to local utilities. It would make sense for the person hired to guide the EV infrastructure strategy to also be in on the ground floor of any storage infrastructure expansions that could lead to new revenue streams.

Larry
Besides, this may become a moot point soon enough...Elon talked in Germany this week about 135kw superchargers being implemented in Germany soon and retroftitted elsewhere over time, which would further drop charge times; he also noted further improvements might be forthcoming (eventually).

I'm seeing the requirement to come up with a model and encourage alternative chargers, which could mean Tesla chargers or other chargers. A tie up with hotel chains, for example, is a strategic partnership and says nothing about how its achieved, other than free charging for Tesla owners. In fact it's ambiguous on what's free.

But, given the Tesla marketing model, getting the name on the chargers at businesses across the country seems like a no-brainer.