Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A possible idea: how will the raw material get from a nearby Lithium-mine to the Gigafactory?

A well made road with visible centerline so that Autopilot can steer the Tesla semi's/drones to their destination. Everything automated with almost zero human interaction.
Just think about it :D

How near is the closest lithium mine Tesla has talked to? Would be pretty cool to demonstrate the self-driving Tesla trucks on private land (no problems with authorities). Another way might be a pipeline for the brine and putting the actual lithium production right next to GF. - But if I remember correctly lithium is only a small perentage of the actual batteries, but both ways might apply to other ingredients, too.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
How near is the closest lithium mine Tesla has talked to? Would be pretty cool to demonstrate the self-driving Tesla trucks on private land (no problems with authorities). Another way might be a pipeline for the brine and putting the actual lithium production right next to GF. - But if I remember correctly lithium is only a small perentage of the actual batteries, but both ways might apply to other ingredients, too.
How about rail cars?

Sam Jaffe, a principal with Cairn Energy Research Advisors, said Tesla should be able to scale up quickly, but getting the needed cost reductions may lag.

“What they won’t be able to do from a battery manufacturing perspective is make the cells as cheaply as they hoped. A lot of the price reductions from the gigafactory model come from the supply chain re-creation that they will be doing in North America. That won’t be ready by 2018.”​

Who is this Sam Jaffe and on what ground is he making such a claim?

Reactions: techmaven
Sam Jaffe, a principal with Cairn Energy Research Advisors, said Tesla should be able to scale up quickly, but getting the needed cost reductions may lag.

“What they won’t be able to do from a battery manufacturing perspective is make the cells as cheaply as they hoped. A lot of the price reductions from the gigafactory model come from the supply chain re-creation that they will be doing in North America. That won’t be ready by 2018.”​

This is like the Reuter's article that claimed to be talking about Tesla's suppliers, but was actually including quotes from all sorts of Detroit based "experts" that have no clue what is going on a Tesla.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I do not know who he is and on what ground he is making this claims, but what he say - that you have highlighted in this quote - is totally in-line with what Telsa/Elon/J.B. have been saying all along: The full predicted price reduction they expect is based on a fully build out GF at full production. That was expected to happen in 2020. But they also expect some reduction from day one. The question is just how much is the difference? Does it qualify as "a lot"?

What I do not believe is correct in the quote is that they will not "make the cells as cheaply as they hoped". I do think they have very realistic view on what to expect - or hope for - from day one, and what to not expect until all parts of the GF is in full production.

Bild-Sam-Jaffe-WP.jpg

Cairn Energy Research Advisors (Cairn ERA) is a global research and consulting firm specializing in energy storage. Cairn ERA provides strategic insight and data to enable clients to thrive in the dynamic international energy marketplace. The firm is based in Boulder, Colorado, and works with clients in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. Sam Jaffe, Managing Director of Cairn ERA, is an internationally-recognized expert on energy storage and has provided expertise to the world’s largest energy and utility firms and frequently speaks at international conferences. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and a variety of business publications and online news outlets.

Sam is the founder and Managing Director of Cairn Energy Research Advisors. He has more than ten years of experience as an analyst, consultant and executive in the energy storage industry. Prior to Cairn ERA, he has worked at Navigant Research and IDC as an analyst and has also served as CEO at Panea Energy and Cygnus Energy Storage. He is an authority on battery usage on the grid, transportation and consumer electronics. He is an accomplished public speaker and a frequent keynote speaker at conferences and events throughout the world, including the Battery Show, Interbattery Korea, Stockage D’Energie and the Energy Storage Association annual meeting. He is frequently quoted in multiple press outlets, including the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and CNBC. He lives and works in Boulder, CO.

As to the grounds... well... highly unclear.

As to the grounds... well... highly unclear.

Well, Navigant has been pretty far off the mark when it comes to predicting Tesla's cost curve.

Tesla's comments thus far indicate that they believe the pilot phase is all that is necessary to drop the price for Model 3 introduction. At under $190/kWh all in price now from Osaka, dropping the price towards $150/kWh seems to be what they are aiming. However, there are additional costs to be saved and they have said that they expect pricing to drop to $100/kWh (cell or pack, unclear). The raw materials is even cheaper now.

A possible idea: how will the raw material get from a nearby Lithium-mine to the Gigafactory?

A well made road with visible centerline so that Autopilot can steer the Tesla semi's/drones to their destination. Everything automated with almost zero human interaction.
Just think about it :D

There's no evidence that the vertical integration in cell manufacturing is happening at the gigafactory.

• Funny
Reactions: dakh and SW2Fiddler
Its after hours and I am in the mood to recount an interesting realization. This is probably not the right thread, but whatever.

From time to time, I like to read up on the short BS on seeking alpha to keep myself entertained more than anything else. so I was reading this article by one Mr. Santos and believe it or not, I found an unlikely bullish argument. He was saying

As a positive comment: The only chance I see of the Gigafactory ending up being useful for Tesla, and even then cost-wise it's likely to be a doubtful bet, would be for Randy Carlson to be entirely right regarding his in-module cell processing thesis.

Randy Carlson is an engineer at heart and a huge TSLA bull. And he made some bold predictions in the article that Mr. Santos refers above. If you have an engineering bent of mind, I'd highly recommend pouring a glass of red wine and reading through that article. It is a very interesting thesis he puts together, based just on the fact that the battery pack of model 3 is much larger than expected, given the energy needs. Specifically, he makes a few bold predictions.

1. The battery is air cooled instead of liquid cooled, which is a great way to drop battery costs
  2. The battery pack is probably the same thickness as a Model S despite longer cells (70 MM vs 65 MM in S/X)
  3. Most importantly, Li-ion cells once manufactured need to be 'aged' by very slowly charging & discharging them over a few days, using expensive equipment, which requires these cells to be stored at a production location. This is why cell manufacturing needs a large foot print and expensive. Randy's contention was this was short circuited by TSLA by building the packs first from cells and then 'aging' them in the battery packs
Now I am not a battery expert by any stretch and this all sounded somewhat far fetched to me and I didn't give it much credence. Also this article was more than a month old (6/20).

This morning I was skimming through electrek.co and i was startled when i was reading this article. Specifically the article calls out a few things
  • The half centimeter height increase for the car packs would be offset with more efficient battery packaging which will make the packs actually the same thickness or less than current packs and obviously with a higher energy density.
This is only possible if the connectors are between cells rather than on top of cells, strongly hinting that the battery is air-cooled and not liquid cooled and validates Carlson's first hypothesis

There was also a room for storing and aging battery packs which was again out of comprehension huge.

This was again a Carlson prediction, that it was infact the packs being 'aged' as opposed to the cells. This closed the loop for me on why the pack costs could approach $100 / Kwh with the industry at more than twice the cost with prismatic cells.

Now here is the best part. In a different article Carlson runs the math and arrives at a 44 KWH capacity for the base Model S. This seems reasonable given that an S60, a larger, heavier, and a higher Cd car can achieve 210 miles. So long run, the battery costs for the 3 would be 5-6K for the average 40K model 3 car. This leaves a lot of room for TSLA to very comfortably make 25% GM on the car in the not too far future. If anything, I'd guess that in 2020, unless TSLA drops the prices, the GM could even approach 30%.

Really unbelieveable what Elon and JB accomplished with the gigafactory. Godspeed Tesla and TSLA!!

PS: if you know of any other thread where this would be more relevant, please drop a note. I will crosspost / link there.

PPS: Thought I was posting in the short term thread, but am going to leave it here anyways.

Last edited:
Hum, air-cooled batteries just makes no sense parring some invention that's borderline magical with this battery chemistry. Nissan uses such a system in the Leaf to cut corners on cost, and the battery degradation is absolutely awful in everywhere but the most mild of summer climates. Cold-weather performance is similarly awful in the Leaf compared to other cars (the electric smart car, despite having far worse aerodynamics and a smaller battery, actually ends up getting a bigger range than the Leaf because of the battery temperature management system as long as driving speed isn't too fast).

Supercharging with air cooling, especially if faster speeds are pushed, also doesn't seem plausible in hot summer climates.

What sort of invention could even allow lithium ion to evade the laws of chemistry by using air cooling? Is there some sort of additional info or an article that goes over the theoretical science behind how this change would work? How does "aging" a battery even improve a battery? If someone smarter than me can provide the insight, I'd love to get an idea of what's going on here.

(I figured that Model 3 margins could hit 25%, without any new fancy battery tech/improvements, simply because the car design looks far more simple than any other on the market and Elon uses exponentially more robots than any other carmaker out there. A car that needs almost no humans to produce and can conduct much of its own QA--even with a $10k battery pack, they have a ton of room to play with a cheap body on top. When I read that aging in the comment, I figured it was part of ensuring the new battery tech would realistically last in the real world.)

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
How does "aging" a battery even improve a battery?

I was curious about this too. Might be off-topic for an investor thread, but... apparently lithium-ion degradation is mostly due to growth of something called the "solid-electrolyte interphase" (SEI) layer inside each cell, on the anode. The idea seems to be that if the factory ages the new cell just right, it'll develop an SEI layer that's fairly stable, at least relative to the kind of SEI layer that would form in the wild without any special process. Maybe think of it like verdegris on copper: technically it's corrosion, but it can stabilize and even protect the underlying metal a little — not like rust on iron, which is always bad news.

More:

Reactions: generalenthu
I was curious about this too. Might be off-topic for an investor thread, but... apparently lithium-ion degradation is mostly due to growth of something called the "solid-electrolyte interphase" (SEI) layer inside each cell, on the anode. The idea seems to be that if the factory ages the new cell just right, it'll develop an SEI layer that's fairly stable, at least relative to the kind of SEI layer that would form in the wild without any special process. Maybe think of it like verdegris on copper: technically it's corrosion, but it can stabilize and even protect the underlying metal a little — not like rust on iron, which is always bad news.

More:

I appreciate the links. From my rough understanding of batteries, that does help somewhat--killing the battery a little bit, but that capacity loss lets them do something crazy like air-cooled batteries without worry of them becoming Leaf 2.0.

With this process, is it possible that Tesla can use a new battery chemistry that normally could not be considered due to poor cycle life? For example I remember hearing about too much silicon in the anode not working for automotive purposes because of silicon expansion/contraction leading to battery failure. Is it possible some sort of aging process would let them use far more silicon while keeping a battery stable for decades?

Hum, air-cooled batteries just makes no sense parring some invention that's borderline magical with this battery chemistry. Nissan uses such a system in the Leaf to cut corners on cost, and the battery degradation is absolutely awful in everywhere but the most mild of summer climates. Cold-weather performance is similarly awful in the Leaf compared to other cars (the electric smart car, despite having far worse aerodynamics and a smaller battery, actually ends up getting a bigger range than the Leaf because of the battery temperature management system as long as driving speed isn't too fast).

If you read Randy Carlson's article you will see that it is not air-cooled battery packs he is talking about, but liquid cooled packs with air-cooled modules. Yes I know, it IS on SA, and I hate to go there and understand everybody that refuses to read anything there, but this article is worth it (even if it is on a lot of pages :p ). I'm not knowledge enough to say if he got it right or not, but from my impression it does looks like he is onto something. And as @generalenthu point's out is may seems like the electrec article does confirm some of his predictions.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Tesla's comments thus far indicate that they believe the pilot phase is all that is necessary to drop the price for Model 3 introduction. At under $190/kWh all in price now from Osaka, dropping the price towards $150/kWh seems to be what they are aiming. However, there are additional costs to be saved and they have said that they expect pricing to drop to $100/kWh (cell or pack, unclear). The raw materials is even cheaper now.

You have to keep in mind, that for Tesla, there two factors to optimize pack cost.
First is the cell cost in $/KWh, second is the pack assembly cost which consist of a basic pack cost (enclosure,BMS,Cooling) and an assembly cost.
Even if they don't get lower cell cost per KWh at first, the new cell size, which needs 30% less cells to manage in inventory and assemble and the assumingly higher automated assembly process will still reduce the pack cost...

Reactions: jvonbokel