Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was trying to figure out a more granular look at the investment breakdown between Tesla and Panasonic. Are the non-IP related, not complex items like the drying rack in the Pansonic section bought by Panasonic or by Tesla initially? There's a lot of ancillary equipment and install costs.

On a separate note, when Tesla says to Panasonic, your drying oven can be further optimized, who pays for the additional engineering and installation labor? These are questions I am pretty sure we won't get the answer easily... and I didn't think of when I went through the tour. I wish I could tour the place in about 3 months and ask follow up questions.

Hey everyone, fairly new here and definitely new in the investor realm of things. Forgive me in advance if I ask any "noob" questions or clarifying questions that may have been covered in prior pages, I'll do my best to read through it and educate myself. I've always been interested in investing but never had the passion for something as much as I do with Tesla, so I'm starting here. Basically just wanted to say hello before you start seeing my name pop up in conversations and everyone is thinking "who is this guy?"

So far in reading, great stuff, and a lot of useful information in my investment research. Great community.

Quick question, since it's on topic with the last few posts, has anyone defined what exactly "Strategic Partners" means by Tesla and Panasonic? Also, do Musk and Taylor have any common relationships with critical metal hopefuls? I'm trying to untie all of this in my head.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and JRP3
New (Sep 24) aerial pics of GF 1 by electrek: Tesla Gigafactory: new aerial shots show plant more than doubling in size [September 2016 update]

Any guesses as to what this "hole" is for? To me it looks like not really that deep, more like a circular area that is flattened - but what for? Not big enough to hold solar panels (which will go on the roof, anyway). A huge windmill? Doesn´t really seem likely either. Something to do with geothermal?
Hot tub? :cool: (Dev. Dept)
Velodrome? :rolleyes: (Wheels within a wheel)
Or just for process water? (Prescient wet dream) :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: hobbes and kenliles
tesla-gigafactory-sept-2016.png

It's very nice to see this prior to Q3 results. Really want a powerwall(s) and PV for my retirement home in Florida
voting my SCTY shares for the merger

New (Sep 24) aerial pics of GF 1 by electrek: Tesla Gigafactory: new aerial shots show plant more than doubling in size [September 2016 update]

Any guesses as to what this "hole" is for? To me it looks like not really that deep, more like a circular area that is flattened - but what for? Not big enough to hold solar panels (which will go on the roof, anyway). A huge windmill? Doesn´t really seem likely either. Something to do with geothermal?
Foundation for a water tank.
Robin

The hole either is a larger location for a water tank or a large holding area for input ingredient. Looks like a road goes near it and should turn into a rail track if it is for a bulk ingredient.

Also, when do they go green and add Solar PV? Would put those SCTY guys to work once the merger goes through.

Reactions: hobbes

You can see when you look at the perimeter of the photo that they've done a good job of balancing cut and fill while levelling the site - witness hill side up at top of photo and down at the bottom left. So my guess is they are now occasionally needing some fill as they proceed around the construction and they have created this circular pit area to harvest it. I'll bet it has a future use when construction is complete - SpaceX launch/landing spot for harvesting lithium from the asteroid belt?

That's a pad. I don't know what they're putting on it, but it's very definitely a pad to set something on. A water tank is an interesting possibility. It would also be a good place to plant a wind turbine, but I bet they put those further out from the factory.

And I've started thinking about parking for employees. Maybe they will just use shuttles.
What they *should* do -- and Musk isn't doing this because Musk has a stupid blind spot when it comes to trains -- is this:

-- build a railroad spur connecting to the factory.
-- Use this to ship batteries from Nevada to Fremont, on special "battery trains". (Eventually they can use battery powered locomotives -- why not?) Batteries are heavy and there will be a lot of them; the huge truck traffic would be dumb and is unnecessary when you can run a 100-car train full of batteries.
-- Run an employee railroad passenger shuttle (again, using battery locomotives) from downtown Reno for each shift. A little three-car train can carry more than 300 people, and of course it can be made as long as needed.

The people who live in or near downtown Reno would then not need to commute by car.

The thing about automobiles is, they don't scale up. They're great for people going every which way at different times. They're absolutely horrible for 1,000 people arriving all at once for a single work shift. That's what a train (which can carry a huge number of people at once) is for.

Musk seems to have a really severe blind spot when it comes to trains, so he's probably going to completely screw this up and create massive traffic jams and 20-minute hikes across the parking lot, but who knows, maybe he'll figure it out.

Reactions: hobbes
What they *should* do -- and Musk isn't doing this because Musk has a stupid blind spot when it comes to trains -- is this:

-- Use this to ship batteries from Nevada to Fremont, on special "battery trains". (Eventually they can use battery powered locomotives -- why not?) Batteries are heavy and there will be a lot of them; the huge truck traffic would be dumb and is unnecessary when you can run a 100-car train full of batteries.
-- Run an employee railroad passenger shuttle (again, using battery locomotives) from downtown Reno for each shift. A little three-car train can carry more than 300 people, and of course it can be made as long as needed.

The people who live in or near downtown Reno would then not need to commute by car.

The thing about automobiles is, they don't scale up. They're great for people going every which way at different times. They're absolutely horrible for 1,000 people arriving all at once for a single work shift. That's what a train (which can carry a huge number of people at once) is for.

Musk seems to have a really severe blind spot when it comes to trains, so he's probably going to completely screw this up and create massive traffic jams and 20-minute hikes across the parking lot, but who knows, maybe he'll figure it out.

Sounds expensive.

Autonomous mini buses based on Model X platform? Leverages existing technology without the need to build rail infrastructure. Wireless tethered vehicles should have passenger density close to trains, with more flexibility.

So I took a look at the google maps and street view and (aside from JohnSnowNW's point about the cost of that spur station) there's the issue with parking. The 6-level parking structure to the west is a paid parking structure. Plus the tracks are actually below grade and shared with freight and Amtrak. The train might be highly efficient at moving 300 people at one time, but it's probably not going to be a good solution for moving 1000 people within an hour.

Three 35 passenger buses (electric BYD? Proterra?) every 6 minutes would get it done and for much less than the spur station.

Edit: I do get your point about energy efficiency for transporting people, but I just never liked trains as a transportation solution, because of their lack of flexibility.