Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a ploy to drum up sales? Or if it's in Germany it more likely speeds adoption of BEV by BMW, MB, VW, Audi, Porsche! etc.? or both?
My guess is that it's a combination of factors:
  • Deep personnel pool in precision engineering & metalwork
  • Generally pro-business environment
  • Excellent transit links
  • Proximity to other auto OEM factories (for delivering batteries)
  • Becoming "part of the club" of German manufacturers to overcome domestic prejudice

Not sure if this post belongs in this thread but I ran across an article written earlier this year related to Tesla that summarized the graphite market and some of the leading companies that might produce the anodes that are used in lithium ion batteries.
Graphite constitutes a significant % by weight of a typical lithium-ion battery compared to other materials so reducing the price is important.
There have been recent rumors that Tesla will announce fairly soon additional gigafactory partnerships. I wonder if any will be mining suppliers or is it too soon?

Going Natural: The Solution To Tesla’s Graphite Problem
http://www.techmetalsresearch.com/2014/03/going-natural-the-solution-to-teslas-graphite-problem/

Of the three companies the author highlights Northern Graphite located in Ontario just announced an Open Source Battery Research and Testing Facility.
"The facility will be available on normal commercial terms to any company, including Northern's competitors, provided that all results are made publicly available and shared with the industry"
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/northern-graphite-creates-open-source-172136013.html

I believe the stated reason for using synthetic graphite is because it produces a higher quality cell. So they won't sacrifice quality for price since the quality determines how dense the cell is.

Yes, I don't know why people keep talking about mined graphite. Elon has said that they use synthetic to ensure consistency. It may be one of many reasons why Tesla batteries are so long lived.

That may be why we haven't heard much about mined graphite recently. The article was from March 2014 but there doesn't seem to be much written about it since. Thank you for the feedback.

Tesla-Gigafactory.jpg

Looks like the two story steel structure is roughly 1/4 the size of the full factory.
I.e this is one of the "modules" they were talking about.

See I thought they were supposed to be doing just one floor not two... won't this make the factory 2x the size we were originally expecting? Are they building fewer modules at first to compensate the 2 floors thereby giving them more room off the bat? I am not complaining if this is true, just trying to figure out what the plan is.

So exciting seeing steel go up!

Looking closer it appears that the second floor height is shorter than the first floor. Maybe they are just going to use the second floor for offices? Which would save space. If this is the case would they extend the second floor across the whole factory or just over a small section? Would throw off the symmetry of the building... and they did say they wanted the building to look good... hrmmm... this has only raised more questions! GAH! Tesla give us some details already.