Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't expect to see them before the S/C plant is running it's new factory at full capacity - and it's not going into production until about 9-12 months from now.
Did I say that they should do it strait away? You was talking about that it would not pay out to do it as long as they got their subsidized electricity, and they will get that for 20 years. Waiting a year or so for the solar panel factory to be in production until they install it make sense. And by the way, the DO use their own power-packs, and have been doing to for a long time - at least in Fremont. I'm not sure of how many superchargers has got batteries yet.

Did that include anything about the effect of showing your customers that you actually use what you produce? And the effect of showing them that you actually act as you preach others to do? Or the effect of NOT doing any of that?
a picture of a 200Kw plant constructed in Frederic, Maryland in -->>1982, (~3,200 ~62 watt panels), subsequently purchased by BP, expanded a bit, then sold off and vanished. Solarex (95 acre site at intersection of I-70 and I-270) a tiny history lesson from 34 years ago
really want the GF to succeed
Solarex-Building-Frederick-MD-1982-1024x445.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that they will want to build quite a few cells for testing. Probably many megawatt hours of cells during factory startup. Those cells can be used for stationary storage for the factory itself. Fremont already has some stationary storage, as does some other Tesla facilities. They may very well have to make quite a few demonstration units to show customers anyways, and it makes sense to use those for use at the Gigafactory.
I've also been suspecting this for the solar panels, as well. First, they might want to cover the Solar City Silevo Gigafactory with solar, using test runs.

Reactions: neroden
Tesla is to have a big Gigafactory announcement sometime this week. I put all I could find about it, plus some location rumors (Nevada!) in a post on AutoblogGreen.

So far, the only thread for the Gigafactory is one in Investor Discussions related, of course, to the investment opportunities, so I thought I'd start this one in the main Tesla Motors part of the forum. It's likely that this will need a section all to itself in the near future, though.

So, anyone know of anything I might have missed?

Main points:
  • 30 Gigawatts-hours of yearly production
  • Powered heavily by renewable energy
  • Use older Tesla battery packs
  • Produce packs for cars and stationary storage
Rumor:
  • Located in Nevada
  • Cost $2 billion to build
  • Employ 1500-2000 people

New drone vid

Wow... just WOW.

Looking back at two previous posts (#1081 and #1088) by brandude87 and my previous post #1092 (all on Sept. 26), things have really ramped-up a LOT in last six weeks.

Building Sections E, F (just a bit more to do) and G look to be (substantially) structurally complete.
Building Section H looks to be nearly complete with major amounts of its structure.

Meanwhile, lots of other construction and installation of equipment is certainly still on-going INSIDE Building Sections A, B and C.
And probably Building Section D (which was only Roof and exterior Walls previously).

Last edited:
Wow... just WOW.

Looking back at two previous posts (#1081 and #1088) by brandude87 and my previous post #1092 (all on Sept. 26), things have really ramped-up a LOT in last six weeks.

Building Sections E, F (just a bit more to do) and G look to be (substantially) structurally complete.
Building Section H looks to be nearly complete with major amounts of its structure.

Meanwhile, lots of other construction and installation of equipment is certainly still on-going INSIDE Building Sections A, B and C.
And probably Building Section D (which was only Roof and exterior Walls previously).

I have the same impression. The unfinished part now seems larger than the finished sections.

I would like to know planned capacity for Tesla Energy.

I never suggested it was visceral, but the message was clear. I see no reason to kowtow to the buffoon just because he's in charge, and Elon doesn't strike me as an obsequious ass kisser.
I don't think he is and I think he would despise a lazy shallow rent seeker like Trump...But Trump is now President Trump! iTrump is malleable and all about the eye for the main chance and it might help energy and environmental policy if he comes. Sure good publicity for Tesla but it is about more than that

Why not invite the President Elect to officially open the Gigafactory? Counter intuitive I know, given his rhetoric, but he likes and respects Power, both literally and figuratively, and might influence him positively at a formative stage of his presidency.

Take him on a tour sure, but officially open the Gigafactory, nope.

Reactions: HerrJones