Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought in these days of mistrust - Why would Tesla build a highly secret battery factory in China, where intellectual theft runs rampant? Why not build a plant that simply assembles pieces, but gets the secret pieces (batteries) from Reno? Same "protection" from Europe and Asia prospective gigastations.

Why not build a plant that simply assembles pieces, but gets the secret pieces (batteries) from Reno?
We do know that Elon want to avoid transporting this batteries around the world. Building the GF-I in the US helps to avoid transporting them from Asia to US. Why should they then start to transport them from US to Asia? And Pansonic that does the cell production has factories in both Japan and China if I'm not mistaken. So no, I do not expect them to build a full GF in China, but use cells from Pansonic's existing factories in Asia.

Reactions: transpondster
Just a thought in these days of mistrust - Why would Tesla build a highly secret battery factory in China, where intellectual theft runs rampant? Why not build a plant that simply assembles pieces, but gets the secret pieces (batteries) from Reno? Same "protection" from Europe and Asia prospective gigastations.

The 18650 batteries used in Teslas today are partially made in China, though I believe final assembly is in Japan. Tesla's plan is to make cars for local markets close to where they are built to save transportation time and costs. Plus the Chinese are more likely to buy a home built product than an import (and there are often steep tariffs on imported goods).

If Tesla has some killer new battery chemistry, they don't have to make it in their Chinese GF. They could always make a little bit older chemistry that is more similar to other batteries made in China. Some people would notice that Chinese made Teslas don't get quite the same range as Teslas made in other countries, but people would more likely chalk it up to something else. Someone like wk057 might get some cells from a Chinese car and compare them to American or European cells and find the differences, but again without taking apart the cells and doing a careful chemical analysis of the contents which would require a very well equipped lab with specialized equipment to do accurately, nobody would know for sure what caused the differences in performance.

We do know that Elon want to avoid transporting this batteries around the world. Building the GF-I in the US helps to avoid transporting them from Asia to US. Why should they then start to transport them from US to Asia? And Pansonic that does the cell production has factories in both Japan and China if I'm not mistaken. So no, I do not expect them to build a full GF in China, but use cells from Pansonic's existing factories in Asia.

I agree that the batteries should come from existing Panasonic factories in Asia. My understanding is that Panasonic makes batteries for Tesla in Osaka, Japan and in Malaysia, but not in China.

Someone may be pocketing some money. How long is it going to be until the State of Nevada nullifies FF's deal, takes back the land, and looks for someone else to use it?

If FF goes bust developing that site and it (and any construction) has to be auctioned off for pennies on the dollar, it would be hilarical if Tesla ended up acquiring it for additional operations...

Aren't 18650 batteries made by Panasonic in Osaka, Japan and in Malaysia? How do we know they are making 18650 batteries in China? Panasonic recently closed a factory in China that was making batteries for consumer electronics.

When Elon was talking about the design of the GigaFactory he said he looked at how the 18650s were made for Tesla. Components are made all over the place including several in China. Final assembly is in Japan. He said so many parts bounce around from one place to another before final assembly, the total travel distance from mine to factories to Fremont is more than the circumference of the world (though most of that is traveling from one place to another in Asia).

When Elon was talking about the design of the GigaFactory he said he looked at how the 18650s were made for Tesla. Components are made all over the place including several in China. Final assembly is in Japan. He said so many parts bounce around from one place to another before final assembly, the total travel distance from mine to factories to Fremont is more than the circumference of the world (though most of that is traveling from one place to another in Asia).

So that would be Panasonic's suppliers; the actual cells are made in Panasonics factories in Japan and Malaysia.

So the Gigafactory puts everything together in one place - chemistry, film, cans, and now even packs and skates.. Makes a lot of sense to have it all under one roof. Under that Reno roof, there are many things that are just "manufacturing" that can be done anywhere, and makes the GF-China a logical one (all that shipping logic). But I would not let the secret sauce be put into a place where it can be stolen and used against yourself. Perhaps just the jelly roll is shipped over there. Perhaps just the paste before it is rolled and dried.
There are many honest Chinese businessmen, and many will honor contracts and confidentiality. But when the crown jewels are released from corporate control, it only takes a few crooks to bury you business. I say - negotiate a good deal, deal with faith, build a good plan and a good plant...but keep some key element away from industrial espionage

Reactions: Sean Wagner
There are many honest Chinese businessmen, and many will honor contracts and confidentiality. But when the crown jewels are released from corporate control, it only takes a few crooks to bury you business. /QUOTE]

I agree with that 100%. The Chinese probably copy Tesla just like copying everything else and don't care if it works or not. Though I am Asian and grew up in Asia, I don't trust them to make anything right after all bad publicity in past years. I would not do anything in China if I'm Tesla.

Google acquires Nevada land for future data center
The vacant desert tract near Electric Avenue is several miles south of the GF.

More interesting might be the WSJ’s assertion that several people suggested Google might use the site as a future testing facility for Waymo’s autonomous vehicles. Nevada is in the process of passing legislation that could see it eventually allow self-driving tests with potentially fewer restrictions than are in place for testing in California, which might make it a good site for high-speed testing of vehicles, above the 35 MPH cap currently in place in Google’s home state.

All car companies are going to have to do business in China. The car market is large and growing fast. In addition China's middle class is already larger than the entire population of the US.

China is as capable of making quality products as anyone else, but they have virtually no regulation, so there is no guarantee you're getting what you're paying for. That's the danger in dealing with China. Unless you know the people or company you're dealing with personally, you don't know what you're getting.