Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - a little done, a whole lot more to go. Glad to see them start - had to happen sometime!!

One could ponder - use today's panel efficiency (25%) or next years (26%) or next decades (50%???). When do you pull the trigger on today's vs future efficiency and cost?

Panels aren't that efficient for a project that size, Try do we use last years 17% to 20% panels, next years 19% to 22% panels or next decades %25-30% panels?

SpaceX might use higher efficiency than that but for anything inside earth's atmosphere you probably aren't going to pay the price premium.

5.25_panel-efficiencies-manufacturer.png

Last edited:
Panels aren't that efficient for a project that size, Try do we use last years 17% to 20% panels, next years 19% to 22% panels or next decades %25-30% panels?

SpaceX might use higher efficiency than that but for anything inside earth's atmosphere you probably aren't going to pay the price premium.

5.25_panel-efficiencies-manufacturer.png
yep-your numbers are better than my swag's. question remains- now, or wait until its better?
so panasonics is the best today. do you think its coming from buffalo plant? are they using the latest, or consuming inventory?

Kinda like => Buy a model S now, with "old" battery tech, old driver assistance - or wait until a bigger battery, more superchargers, more perfect car is available.
answer => buy now, enjoy now, A few percentage points sometime in the future can't make up for years with no panels at all.

Perfect is a constant pursuit that is never achieved - you can wait forever.

Assuming identical panel area, same panel cost, and fixed electric rates, it's worse_percentage/(better_percentage- worse_percentage) * number_of_years

These are the years of production you need to recoup one year of not having panels:

17% panel vs 18% panels -> 17 years to replace the missing year's generation
17% vs 19% -> 8.5 years to catch up
17% vs 20% -> 5.6 years to catch up
Of course, after that point, the new panels are better to have.

Assuming identical panel area, same panel cost, and fixed electric rates, it's worse_percentage/(better_percentage- worse_percentage) * number_of_years

These are the years of production you need to recoup one year of not having panels:

17% vs 19% -> 8.5 years to catch up
17% vs 20% -> 5.6 years to catch up
Of course, after that point, the new panels are better to have.
And---if I buy a good car now, I can buy a better car a few years from now and upgrade/refresh.
These newly installed "old" panels can give years of service while racks are installed on the rest of the roof. Then, the old ones can be refreshed - if economics dominate. Now, it may be Optics that dominate. [why would a company that makes solar panels NOT have panels on its massive roof]- Even if the panels they are installing are bottom of the barrel, optics requires them to be installed. And I doubt if Tesla is buying the dregs.

Reactions: JRP3
And---if I buy a good car now, I can buy a better car a few years from now and upgrade/refresh.
These newly installed "old" panels can give years of service while racks are installed on the rest of the roof. Then, the old ones can be refreshed - if economics dominate. Now, it may be Optics that dominate. [why would a company that makes solar panels NOT have panels on its massive roof]- Even if the panels they are installing are bottom of the barrel, optics requires them to be installed. And I doubt if Tesla is buying the dregs.

Yah, swap the panels, donate to developing country, take the write off. (replacement cost hurts ROI of new panels in general).
I'm assuming GF2 is making the panels for GF1, could be lower efficiency screened parts.

That seems like the only realistic scenario. Greater efficiency jumps would probably take more than one year to achieve.

Reactions: mongo
Right, I haven't noticed any new sections being added in a while. I was wondering if they were waiting for more cash flow or higher battery demand.

The Final GF was supposed to supply 500k Teslas per year and IIRC Elon said they were able to double output per unit area so the existing size is likely sufficient for at least another year or so....

Reactions: TintDepot.com
Right, I haven't noticed any new sections being added in a while. I was wondering if they were waiting for more cash flow or higher battery demand.
Panasonic just said they were adding 3 more lines which should take the GF near 35K/year so I assume there is enough room to do so in the existing structure. Or maybe they'll be throwing up another tent.

Reactions: TintDepot.com