Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this picture online of the Gigafactory. There are 3 building nearby that seem to be on Tesla property. Any thoughts? Could these be cell drying facilities, something else, or not Tesla?

·EVA KAPLAN· on Instagram: “When flying into Reno yesterday I got to see a birds eye view of the Tesla Gigafactory. I love this company and this project and I'm so…”
Capture.PNG

I saw this picture online of the Gigafactory. There are 3 building nearby that seem to be on Tesla property. Any thoughts? Could these be cell drying facilities, something else, or not Tesla?

·EVA KAPLAN· on Instagram: “When flying into Reno yesterday I got to see a birds eye view of the Tesla Gigafactory. I love this company and this project and I'm so…”
View attachment 509909
They’re warehouses not directly associated to Tesla. The one closest to Giga is leased by Tesla, the space in front of it is nearly complete now, will also be leased by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h

View attachment 509909

According to Google maps satellite view, they are other businesses. Though one looks like a parking lot with a lot of truck trailers in it. There is a label for a Kier Truck Repair nearby, so it's possible the flag for it was offset on the map and that's the parking lot with all the trucks.

If you look around the area on Google maps you see a lot of shipping warehouses.

Attachments

• SS-2020.02.10-12.51.49.jpg
    SS-2020.02.10-12.51.49.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 64
Hi! I'm new to the forum and a very big Tesla Fan, I wanted to know if anyone here could possibly tell me what are Tesla's requirements to select a location to build a Gigafactory. I'm very much interested in looking into the possibilities of getting government aid to bring Tesla to South America.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Hi! I'm new to the forum and a very big Tesla Fan, I wanted to know if anyone here could possibly tell me what are Tesla's requirements to select a location to build a Gigafactory. I'm very much interested in looking into the possibilities of getting government aid to bring Tesla to South America.

Judging by GF3 and GF4, you have to be a major market that Tesla is trying to sell into. The point of the gigafactories is to reduce the shipping costs of selling the vehicles into that market (China and Germany have significant import taxes applied to foreign vehicles). Building the cars to export was never their intention.

Secondly, the gigafactories need a large supply of technical workers and the supporting infrastructure (housing, police, fire, medical, maintenance, etc) to support them, in addition to easy access to suppliers (sub contractors that make the sub-assemblies like lights, consoles, dash, chairs, etc). Otherwise, the cost to import supplies will raise the cost of production for Tesla, and that wouldn't be good.

Hope this helps!

Judging by GF3 and GF4, you have to be a major market that Tesla is trying to sell into. The point of the gigafactories is to reduce the shipping costs of selling the vehicles into that market (China and Germany have significant import taxes applied to foreign vehicles). Building the cars to export was never their intention.

Secondly, the gigafactories need a large supply of technical workers and the supporting infrastructure (housing, police, fire, medical, maintenance, etc) to support them, in addition to easy access to suppliers (sub contractors that make the sub-assemblies like lights, consoles, dash, chairs, etc). Otherwise, the cost to import supplies will raise the cost of production for Tesla, and that wouldn't be good.

Hope this helps!

Well, if it opens a GF in a country affiliated to the MERCOSUR, which are Argentina, Brasil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, taxes and export rates to these countries would be extremely low or non-existent.

I just read an article about Brazil's President meeting with Elon Musk this year. Apparently Elon will be given a proposal to set up shop in the Santa Catarina State.

Well, if it opens a GF in a country affiliated to the MERCOSUR, which are Argentina, Brasil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, taxes and export rates to these countries would be extremely low or non-existent.

I just read an article about Brazil's President meeting with Elon Musk this year. Apparently Elon will be given a proposal to set up shop in the Santa Catarina State.

Elon has 2 other companies that he runs, so the meeting might not be related to Tesla and might have something to do with SpaceX or The Boring Company. There's also the possibility of deploying a megapack to support renewable energy in the country. Lots of possibilities that are NOT gigafactory related.

Elon has 2 other companies that he runs, so the meeting might not be related to Tesla and might have something to do with SpaceX or The Boring Company. There's also the possibility of deploying a megapack to support renewable energy in the country. Lots of possibilities that are NOT gigafactory related.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's probably Tesla Energy related.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Looks like they are doing something at giga Nevada, construction on the roof of the newer section. Also last month or so something happening in parking lot, Anyone know what is happening? Compare daily satellite images of Tesla production locations
Well, I get out there about ever 3-4 weeks and frankly something is always going on out there since it first started. Not sure what you are thinking. Nothing greatly different lately.

Looks like they are doing something at giga Nevada, construction on the roof of the newer section. Also last month or so something happening in parking lot, Anyone know what is happening? Compare daily satellite images of Tesla production locations

Construction was related to roof repairs, nothing new, nothing different.

Parking lot work was most likely water trucks. Drainage in the lot is less than subpar. When we get rain (months in between), the lot will flood basically. They bring in vacuum trucks to remove the water.

Giga4 is building an on-site cement making plant. Is there a particular reason why Giga4 is using so much cement while GF3 was mostly steel? Something to do with the properties of the land? Cost of materials in the region?