Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I think at least some of them are left over from when they actually started to put up some column supports, which they then took down for some reason. Never quite understood that one.

About the time they took down the steel on some of these foundations, Tesla and Panasonic decided not to build Gigafactroy1 all at once, but to build in sections and phase in the manufacturing incrementally.

When I first read the report of them taking down the extension metal works, I assumed it was to use the material in the second floor addition. My thought was that they used that material because the actual material for the second floor wasn't scheduled in for some time. Of course, it was entirely a conversation in my own head, so that could have been totally off base.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Does anybody know if they are still planning on doing an unveiling sort of thing this summer? I had originally heard it was supposed to be last month but it has gotten pushed back for some reason.

I think I looked at a simplified GF column and concluded that adding a mezzanine floor actually decreases required column size. The unbraced length is decreased enough to offset even a very heavy floor. The shorter length means it's less prone to buckling for a given loading scenario. I might take another look.

When you buy structural steel these days, each piece comes from the supplier cut and drilled precisely to the customer's requirement. It would be very unusual to take it down and re-purpose it. I would guess that the plans for the section under construction must have changed completely.

Tesla sets July 29 date for Gigafactory Grand Opening event

Quote: "Tesla has marked July 29 as the date for its upcoming Gigafactory grand opening event to take place at the factory just outside of Reno, Nevada. The announcement was made via email to Tesla owners who participated in the company’s Referral Program and won by referring five or more Model S sales between November 1st to December 31st of last year."

Does anybody know if they are still planning on doing an unveiling sort of thing this summer? I had originally heard it was supposed to be last month but it has gotten pushed back for some reason.
The grand opening is set for July 29th. If you were invited you would have been send the following email from Tesla

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Congratulations on winning tickets to the upcoming Gigafactory Grand Opening! We appreciate your support and participation in the Referral Program.

We are excited to announce that the Gigafactory Grand Opening event will take place on the evening of Friday, July 29th at our facility outside Reno, Nevada. For your travel coordination, the closest airport to the event is Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) and we have included a list of nearby hotels below. As a reminder, you are permitted to bring one guest to the Grand Opening.

An official invitation will be emailed to you in a few weeks. In the interim, please direct all questions to [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you there!

With warm regards,
The Tesla Team

• Informative
Reactions: tander
The grand opening is set for July 29th. If you were invited you would have been send the following email from Tesla

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Congratulations on winning tickets to the upcoming Gigafactory Grand Opening! We appreciate your support and participation in the Referral Program.

We are excited to announce that the Gigafactory Grand Opening event will take place on the evening of Friday, July 29th at our facility outside Reno, Nevada. For your travel coordination, the closest airport to the event is Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) and we have included a list of nearby hotels below. As a reminder, you are permitted to bring one guest to the Grand Opening.

An official invitation will be emailed to you in a few weeks. In the interim, please direct all questions to [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you there!

With warm regards,
The Tesla Team

To be clear, that email was sent to people that qualified for the invite through the referral program. A 'Save the Date' only, to allow the winners to make travel plans in advance.

It's very likely that others will be invited, but I don't have a clue as to the criteria that will be used. Hope to see many of you there!