Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain to me why GF1 is targeted to produce 150GWh of pack, but only 105 GWh of cells? The packs are consisted of cells, right? So where they are going to find the rest of (150-105=) 45 GWh of cells?

The Model S and X are still using 18650 cells from Panasonic's Asian factories. The cells used to be shipped to Fremont where they were assembled into packs there, but now they are shipped to Nevada and the packs are built there. I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall Tesla moved motor production to GF1 too.

As @mongo pointed out, some of the stationary storage uses cells made in other places, though that will probably be phased out as GF production ramps up.

The Model S and X are still using 18650 cells from Panasonic's Asian factories. The cells used to be shipped to Fremont where they were assembled into packs there, but now they are shipped to Nevada and the packs are built there. I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall Tesla moved motor production to GF1 too.

I've never heard that, everything I have heard is that S&X motor and battery pack production is still done in Fremont.

You asked if there is a document that shows they are building packs for cars at the gigafactory rather than at Fremont. If they were doing it 18 months ago it clearly is what they are doing.

That wasn't the question
Can you point to any actual release or information that says the S&X packs are made at the GF?

I apologize for mentioning that S/X uses 18650 cells in my post regarding GF1's 3, PW, PP production rate. I think this is my fault...

Can you point to any actual release or information that says the S&X packs are made at the GF?
Hmm... No, I can't find that now... I was sure that I had read that when they first opened GF-I (before they started to produce cells at the factory) that they moved the production of power-packs, power-walls and battery packs for S+X to GF-I using 18650 from Panasonic Asia, but when I search now all I find is reference to the power-walls/-packs. So It seams like I was wrong about that...

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
I just read that BYD is scheduled to open a battery production facility in China by the end of 2019.
The article said the size was the equivalent of 140 football fields. How does that compare to GF1 ?

The Gigafactory is about the size of 100 football fields. But that isn't the only thing you have to look at. For instance I can't recall if it has 3 or 4 floors. You also have to look at the density. (i.e. how many Whs per square foot.)

What is the estimated cell production capacity of the BYD facility?

• Informative
Reactions: Zapped
The floorspace of the BYD factory will be 10.7 million square feet, but the completed GagaFactory 1 will havee 13 million square feet. BYD is claiming theirs is bigger because it has fewer floors and takes up more land.

BYD plans on eventually producing 60 GWh/yr there and GF1 plans on 150 GWh/yr.

BYD Powers Up New 24 GWh EV Battery Factory In Qinghai Province In China | CleanTechnica

BYD will probably eventually be selling cars in the rest of the world, but it their internal demand is so high they aren't exporting much yet.

The floorspace of the BYD factory will be 10.7 million square feet, but the completed GagaFactory 1 will havee 13 million square feet. BYD is claiming theirs is bigger because it has fewer floors and takes up more land.

BYD plans on eventually producing 60 GWh/yr there and GF1 plans on 150 GWh/yr.

BYD Powers Up New 24 GWh EV Battery Factory In Qinghai Province In China | CleanTechnica

BYD will probably eventually be selling cars in the rest of the world, but it their internal demand is so high they aren't exporting much yet.
This should have the ICE mfrs terrified. Only two companies building out capacity and working to own pricing and development. The rest buying commodity products for generic brand results. This is great news for EV’s in general, but this far into Tesla leading the way, this should all be further along.

This should have the ICE mfrs terrified. Only two companies building out capacity and working to own pricing and development. The rest buying commodity products for generic brand results. This is great news for EV’s in general, but this far into Tesla leading the way, this should all be further along.
I have a relative who works in the Bay Area for a large Chinese battery manufacturer. They already have a gigafactory sized battery factory in China and are planning to two more, one in Germany and one in the US. Both will serve German automakers.
Of course, the German automakers will have to pay more for the batteries than if they owned the factories and technology themselves but they have been unwilling to make the commitment, preferring to outsource. This is where they are missing the boat. They have invested billions in the core technologies of ICE but are unwilling to make a similar commitment to EVs.

By relying on third parties to make their batteries, they can lock in set quantities with the manufacturer, but if demand goes up and they want more batteries, they may find someone else got in and locked up the rest of the supply. This could trigger a supply and demand problem in the industry if public demand for EVs really does take off.

It has happened on a small scale with the VW eGolf and the IONIQ. Both are in short supply because of battery shortages.