Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very detailed video of Gigafactory Shanghai.

At 35 seconds, they are showing us the new battery cells and pack.

At 46 seconds they show us the robot welding the fusible links from each cell to a current collector on an entire battery pack (no more battery modules). Btw, this battery architecture is one of many reasons why Tesla battery packs don’t catch fire like the GM ones do.

At 1:31 they show two workers guiding seats into the car. I know that used to be completed automated for Model S back in the day at Fremont, interesting that it requires humans now (either because it’s a Model Y or ?).

1:43 they show Autopilot camera aiming which I thought was interesting. Those round targets aren’t going to catch slight rotations, but that’s handled during in car calibration when you first get the car.

Last edited:
Very detailed video of Gigafactory Shanghai.

At 35 seconds, they are showing us the new battery cells and pack.

At 46 seconds they show us the robot welding the fusible links from each cell to a current collector on an entire battery pack (no more battery modules). Btw, this battery architecture is one of many reasons why Tesla battery packs don’t catch fire like the GM ones do.

At 1:31 they show two workers guiding seats into the car. I know that used to be completed automated for Model S back in the day at Fremont, interesting that it requires humans now (either because it’s a Model Y or ?).

1:43 they show Autopilot camera aiming which I thought was interesting. Those round targets aren’t going to catch slight rotations, but that’s handled during in car calibration when you first get the car.
Really need to watch this at half speed.

Does anyone know how many people-hours go into a finished Tesla car?
Meaning, how many hours of manual human labor are required per car (S/X/3/Y)?

This article from late 2018 says 40 steps and 90 mins for a model 3.
A 2015 article said 3-5 days.
Both are most likely out of date, but neither mentioned how much human babysitting/intervention was needed.

Last edited:
I wonder if they could be test sleds to crash test certain components without trashing an entire vehicle?

FDjYMPXXEAEcXaM

I wonder if they could be test sleds to crash test certain components without trashing an entire vehicle?

FDjYMPXXEAEcXaM
Had the same thought, but can't quite figure out what they would be testing. Maybe driver's airbag/ steering wheel for pure frontal impact tests of left hand drive. That would explain the single seat and partial windshield.

Seems more like a sled for a roller coaster or train.

Possibly Cyberquad? If it's more like a snowmobile.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Yeah roll bar behind the seat and around the windshield, (possibly crack resistant like Cybertruck), would go a long way to making the "safest" quad ever. Not quite as much fun or as maneuverable as a traditional quad.
It's difficult when fun can be highly linked to risk.
Snowmobiles are fun, esp with hills. A sled style 4 wheeler especially with articulated suspension to bank in turns like a motorcycle could compensate for the lack of potentially being crushed.
Like a gokart, height from ground enhances the feeling of speed.
They do seem a bit long though, unless they can collapse to fit in the bed.

Does anyone know what those smaller chassis are in the picture of crash test vehicles? They almost look like single seat cars.
I really hope that they removed all of the batteries and other valuable components in those test cars. ;)

Had the same thought, but can't quite figure out what they would be testing. Maybe driver's airbag/ steering wheel for pure frontal impact tests of left hand drive. That would explain the single seat and partial windshield.

Seems more like a sled for a roller coaster or train.

Possibly Cyberquad? If it's more like a snowmobile.

I thought they might be Cyberquads too. Maybe they're prototypes/test vehicles?

I really hope that they removed all of the batteries and other valuable components in those test cars. ;)

I believe crash test cars are usually just enough components to make for a valid crash test. They wouldn't need to put real batteries in the cars, just something the same size and shape that would indicate if damages, like filled with dyed water.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Not a surprise really, reports circulating Tesla purchased another 640 acres of land around Austin.

I wonder where it is, South south-west?

After reading some articles, could be a Solar park with other amenities to both generate power for the plant and showcase a renewable world, just 5 miles from Texas capital.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not a surprise really, reports circulating Tesla purchased another 640 acres of land around Austin.

I wonder where it is, South south-west?

After reading some articles, could be a Solar park with other amenities to both generate power for the plant and showcase a renewable world, just 5 miles from Texas capital.
Based on the (original ) Austin Business article, it may be related to Neuralink. Part is leased back to the original horse ranch owners.

Is there a way to request a Gigafactory tour?

I tried emailing [email protected] but received an auto-reply that they are "temporarily pausing tours until further notice" in relation to "the impacts of the Coronavirus" - but that seems to be about Fremont which is under more strict California rules.

Is there a similar email to contact for the Gigafactory in Nevada? I really want to see it in person... already toured Fremont twice and it's a memory of a lifetime