Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not official, semi rumors:
Latest word is Berlin has full approval (non verified, from YT video), and so does Austin.
Also reported both factories will officially being production early next year (I think Austin is still under construction in certain areas, but 1st of 4 in Berlin is finished)

Production will be limited at first according to YT source (cant recall name right now), but sure to ramp up quickly.

And Cybertruck will go in production in Austin soon(tm)!

And China is also expanding.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not official, semi rumors:
Latest word is Berlin has full approval (non verified, from YT video), and so does Austin.
Also reported both factories will officially being production early next year (I think Austin is still under construction in certain areas, but 1st of 4 in Berlin is finished)

Production will be limited at first according to YT source (cant recall name right now), but sure to ramp up quickly.

And Cybertruck will go in production in Austin soon(tm)!

And China is also expanding.

Berlin not fully approved. Now will open at least 6 months after stated opening (July 2021)

Sounds like no production, even limited, out of Austin this year. Another missed goal.

Competition is coming... and that's a good thing for increased production capacity in the USA. ;)

Now the Department of Energy has issued a report listing all the battery factory projects in the US:
“In addition to electric vehicle battery plants that are already in operation in the United States, 13 additional plants have been announced and are expected to be operational within the next 5 years. Of the 13 plants that are planned, eight are joint ventures between automakers and battery manufacturers. Many of these new plants will be located in the Southeast or Midwest.”
Here’s the full list published by the Department of Energy last week:

ManufacturerLocationExpected Opening
FordNortheast of Memphis, TN2025
Ford & SK InnovationCentral KY2025
Ford & SK InnovationCentral KY2026
General Motors & LG ChemLordstown, OH2022
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionSpring Hill, TN2023
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionTo be determined (TBD)TBD
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionTBDTBD
SK InnovationNortheast of Atlanta, GA2022
SK InnovationNortheast of Atlanta, GA2023
Stellantis & LG Energy SolutionTBD2024
Stellantis & Samsung SDITBD2025
ToyotaSoutheast of Greensboro, NC2025
VolkswagenChattanooga, TNTBD

Competition is coming... and that's a good thing for increased production capacity in the USA. ;)

Now the Department of Energy has issued a report listing all the battery factory projects in the US:

Here’s the full list published by the Department of Energy last week:

ManufacturerLocationExpected Opening
FordNortheast of Memphis, TN2025
Ford & SK InnovationCentral KY2025
Ford & SK InnovationCentral KY2026
General Motors & LG ChemLordstown, OH2022
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionSpring Hill, TN2023
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionTo be determined (TBD)TBD
General Motors & LG Energy SolutionTBDTBD
SK InnovationNortheast of Atlanta, GA2022
SK InnovationNortheast of Atlanta, GA2023
Stellantis & LG Energy SolutionTBD2024
Stellantis & Samsung SDITBD2025
ToyotaSoutheast of Greensboro, NC2025
VolkswagenChattanooga, TNTBD
What I see is a LOT of them will be very late into battery race.

What I have read is it takes a lot of time to get a factory producing full capacity. Tesla 4380 batters have been in production for several months apparently, but yields have been low (70%).
It is expected full production will be in early 2022, but still months away from now.

It is a good bet to say Tesla is FAR, FAR in the battery race, and has priority contracts with raw material suppliers?

What I see is a LOT of them will be very late into battery race.

What I have read is it takes a lot of time to get a factory producing full capacity.
Tesla 4380 batters have been in production for several months apparently, but yields have been low (70%).
It is expected full production will be in early 2022, but still months away from now.

It is a good bet to say Tesla is FAR, FAR in the battery race, and has priority contracts with raw material suppliers?
Agreed regarding 4680 Batteries... here's a recent update from Electrek. ;)

Today, with the release of its Q2 2021 financial results, Tesla released a rare update about its progress toward that goal:

We have successfully validated performance and lifetime of our 4680 cells produced at our Kato facility in California. We are nearing the end of manufacturing validation at Kato: field quality and yield are at viable levels and our focus is now on improving the 10% of manufacturing processes that currently bottleneck production output. While substantial progress has been made, we still have work ahead of us before we can achieve volume production. Internal crash testing of our structural pack architecture with a single-piece front casting has been successful.
In short, Tesla managed to get some progress done, but they still have more work to do before achieving any volume production.

I read this:
And in part because nickel mining is so energy intensive, manufacturing electric vehicles emits nearly twice as much carbon dioxide as does producing cars run on fossil fuels, according to Trafigura.
:(

Long term is good, but short term is not.

Semi-Good news is:
Prony Resources is promising to halve its carbon emissions by 2030 and become carbon neutral 10 years after that. Waste from the plant, which is currently held in a tailings dam as a toxic sludge, will be filtered and transformed into a less corrosive dry waste, using a new system with $420 million in investment.
And that is one of dozens of mines...

Reactions: mspohr
I read this:

:(

Long term is good, but short term is not.

Semi-Good news is:

And that is one of dozens of mines...

Those supposed analysis of the carbon footprint of EVs vs ICE cherry pick the data. They ignore a lot of carbon sources in ICE production, fuel production, and driving and exaggerate all the carbon sources.

One thing that reduces the carbon footprint of ICE production is almost all the steel used in ICE is recycled because we've reached a point where most of the cars produced outside of China are replacing an old car and the metals are easily recycled. The batteries in EVs require some materials that can't be recycled right now because there isn't enough of it in circulation. Once we get to a point where most batteries are recycled, the need for new materials will go away.

Even if EVs are fueled from coal the carbon footprint of fueling them is less than ICE. Few people know how much energy goes into getting oil out of the ground, moved to the refinery, refined, transported to a gas station, and put in a car's tank. Refining oil into gas consumes 8-16 KWH of electricity from the grid, plus consumes about 1-2 gallons of oil from each barrel of oil (42 gallons), which is another 30-60 KWH of energy.

EVs can be fueled from many fuel sources ranging from renewables to coal. But using fossil fuels for stationary electricity generation is more efficient than any motor vehicle use.

Most of EV production has less of a footprint then ICE because the vehicles are mechanically simpler. Though the footprint is similar.

I think it's pretty impressive that Berlin and Austin will likely come online in 2022, even if Elon said late 2021.

Indeed. If Elon had said 'we anticipate starting production within 8.5 months' but it turned out to be 9.5 months, would the eeyores still be crying ?

Future looking statements are not promises. WTF is wrong with people ?

Increased activity lately at Giga Texas.

Today, I was taking pictures of the factory from downtown Austin in the morning and afternoon, because I think it's cool how it's totally camouflaged in the morning light, and then by afternoon it's brightly visible.

But this evening, I suddenly noticed that it quite aglow, which is something new. On the Tesla Daily episode, I saw the comment from Joe T. that they're starting production this week. Looks like the lights are on and someone's home!

Sorry about the poor quality.. zoomed-in iPhone pics.

IMG_8007X.jpeg

IMG_8016X.jpeg

IMG_8020.jpeg
IMG_8017X.jpeg

You mean cannot be sourced from recycled batteries?
AFAIK it is possible to 99% recycle a Li- battery.

Yes, the materials can't be sourced from recycled material because there is not enough recycled material in the supply chain (like there is steel). Over time this will change as we mine enough of those materials and enough old Li-ion batteries wear out and get recycled.

Reactions: MontyFloyd and JRP3